Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
XQFFmyM.jpg

O Canada! Our home and savage land!
No consumer love in all thy price commands.
With heavy hearts we see thee rise,
The True North, far from free!
The price of Sony Corp’s newly released PlayStation 4 game console will be going up by $50 in Canada, the company has confirmed, raising the price from $399 to $449. The price jump will take effect on Saturday March 15.

The console — released last November with a price-tag on par with the one in the United States — isn’t the only piece of Sony hardware getting a bump. The Dualshock 4 controller and PlayStation Camera are both going up from $59.99 to $64.99. As well, the prices of two upcoming first-party games — MLB The Show ’14 and inFAMOUS: Second Son — will retail for $69.99, which is ten dollars higher than the U.S. price.
:arrow:Financial Post
[prebreak]Continue reading...[/prebreak]
qn4QvOQ.gif

Now, in all fairness, this seems to be a response to the weakening of the Canadian dollar - so while the price seems to have gone up, in reality the value has stayed somewhat close to the same. That doesn't really reduce the sting for Canadian players, of course, but hey.

Then again, this may also be Sony assisting us in our vengeance for the War of 1812. You don't have England to bail you out this time, ya maple-growing saps!

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
Still cheap, in Sweden the cheapest ones cost 4400 SEK which is approx $690.

I was thinking the same. $450 is ridiculously cheap, best deals in Finland are ~450€ which is ~$625.68.

Not that I care that much. I only got PS3 under couple years ago and new games are mostly released to PC as well.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Dem gaems where dey?
PSN, that's where. The PS4 has a nice, albeit small library so far with more to come.

As for the news, I bought my PS4 for about 500 euros (the killzone, controller and camera bundle) which is about $700 and I still think it's been worth it. The CAD price isn't that bad in comparison..

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can think of a lot better things to pay back Canada for the War of 1812. Like, for instance, the U.S. hockey team beating the Canadian team. But I suppose I'll have to settle for something more real... ...like this.

But anyway, does this mean that Nintendo is the only company who hasn't raised their prices for their gaming merchandise? Well no, Microsoft hasn't raised their prices yet; they're already ludicrously high. The thing I don't understand is, why will people still buy these systems despite their getting a price hike? Are people so desperate to stay in the popular crowd that they have to buy the new system no matter how expensive it is? Or are they just blind fanboys that go, "b-but mah Sony rulez", and plunk down any amount of money because of this?

I remember when a similar company responded to changes in the market.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
i can see why, the ps4 is sold at a loss and plus they give you $50+ in vouchers its only smart to raise the price.

It's not raising the price actually. As mentioned in the OP, this is due to the value of the Canadian dollar. At the moment, $1 Canadian dollar is only worth $0.9USD, so $450 in CA is only worth $400 (well, $405, but whatever) in USD which is the price of the PS4 in the US.

Reactions: nukeboy95

Ulieq

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really like my ps4 but....... Right now, it's serving less of a role my Wii U had...as just an Amazon Prime player but with no games. At least on the Wii U, I had a few good games to play in backwards compatibility mode while I waited for new games. With ps4, there still aren't any games I would spend on. Here's hoping that will change.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony was wrong to have the price of the PS4 the same in both countries anyways. $1.00 US does not equal $1.00 Canadian, I could remember going to Canada and getting almost $1.50 Canadian dollars for my US dollar.

mkdms14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony was wrong to have the price of the PS4 the same in both countries anyways. $1.00 US does not equal $1.00 Canadian, I could remember going to Canada and getting almost $1.50 Canadian dollars for my US dollar.

Thats what it might of been 10 years ago but not today. I just checked the exchange rate and as of March 16th 2014 1 US dollar equals $1.06 Canadian dollars. There must be some other reason why Sony would raise the price, my guess probably be canadian taxes but what do I know. The point is the US dollar is only slightly stronger than the Canadian dollar.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Thats what it might of been 10 years ago but not today. I just checked the exchange rate and as of March 16th 2014 1 US dollar equals $1.06 Canadian dollars.
Google and several currency converters say 1 USD = 1.11 CAD at the moment. So US$400 = C$ 444. Are you looking at the buying rate or the mid market rate?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: