PS4 NOT backward compatible with PS3

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Nintendo also physically forces you (ie Reggie comes to your house and puts you into a chokehold with his strong thighs) to buy NES, SNES, and N64 games for your Wii.

Sony is not the bad guy here. They cut backwards compatibility because it was expensive. Simple as that. They then offered PS2 games and PSX games to those who don't have them or really want to rebuy them.

Let's not mention the HD Collections which are really solid deals and come with updated graphics, trophy support, and other little goodies.
Sure sure, like PS1 games and Neo-Geo and arcade games they released the PSN, Sony its just as guilty as Nintendo.
I just wonder why you're so quit to defend Sony.

And then someone has to go use that word. Congratulations! GBATemps wanker of the day! Stiff competition!
Except nobody is caring.

And then someone has to go use that word. Congratulations! GBATemps wanker of the day! Stiff competition!
You actually skipped all the questions I posed. Also you do know how wrong the second line is if you consider every company is offering legacy game downloads via VC (Nintendo), PSN (Sony) and Xbox emulation (Microsoft). None of the companies actually give you the download for free even though you may own the games.

You got it all wrong. Sony gives you the possibility of buying games on PSN that aren't manufactured and sold new anymore. Also considering the prices of the games ($5-10 for PSX classics and most PSP games ($50 for the complete FF saga)), I can't see anyone wanting to pay the extortionate prices of some of the used games. Also sometimes it's just more convenient to buy the games from PSN vs buy physical copies. By the way, a fun fact about the PSP to PSVita UMD transfer: Sony could give you the choice of transferring the games for free, but the publishers/developers of the games don't want it to happen.

Buying PSP games for the PSVita on PSN is the only option for playing the games on the console (not counting hacking). It's not like you can stuff discs into carts or something in their current form? It's just normal moving forwards in technology. I don't get the problem of being able to buy PSP games, since quite a few people never have had PSPs and don't want to buy yet another console when the money can be used to buy the games.

Also as many people have pointed out, the PS3 still supports PS1 games just like before. They haven't removed it and probably never will. No real reason for that.

PS2 support was dropped mainly due to the wide availability of PS2 and that the console was already dirt cheap to buy (new and used) and of course the obvious point of the PS2 support being a nice addition, but not a necessary deal breaker feature.

All in all, not everyone wants certain features on consoles. The Wii online will be dead for most games in a matter years and after that the last games will die quite quickly when the WiiU versions are released. If there is no online available, why the need for online capabilities on a gaming console? Netflix&Co is a nice bonus for the Wii, but considering the console can't produce HD picture for Netflix and everything and the kitchen sink have an ability to play Netflix content (dedicated client or via a web browser), it's irrelevant. Kinda like having a DVD player when everything starts supporting BluRay and you buy a compatible device.

Just my 5 cents.

Really? PS3 has got PS1 compatibility? Does it even support PS1 memory cards with the usb memory card reader for the PS3?Cool, looks like I was bad informed at that point of view, sorry about that.
Either way it would be cool to have PS2 on the PS3 as well.

[/quote]How does stating a fact and supporting it with irrefutable evidence make me a fanboy? You insult me without knowing me - for your information, I've played on Nintendo consoles before you were even born.[/quote]

Excuse me but, should I care?

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
No, I'm saying that it was legally wrong, even if you think it's not morally wrong.

Christ.

The emulator itself (which, BTW, was not from an open-source one) is included in the WAD, and you didn't make or rip that, it's Nintendo's property. In addition, downloading the ROMs is illegal in many countries even if you own the game. Most laws state that YOU may MAKE a backup copy, and no distribution must happen.

Not sure why you're cursing, your "you seem to be confusing" line was somewhat ambiguous. As to the legalities of the situation, I'm fortunately not at the mercy of state laws, being resident in that great frozen no-mans-land to the North of the USA, I honestly don't know what Canadian law has to say on the subject, but as I said, I could have ripped the games myself and used a freeware emulator to similar ends, I can't see exactly who I've hurt doing it the way I did, and essentially, morally, legally or any other way I might consider the matter, no fucks are being given today.

Scuba156

Trophies
XP
Country
Either you're trolling, or you don't understand what you're taliking about, I didn't enter into any license agreement with Nintendo when I bought my first NES in 1989, I was 17. I own my Wii hardware, I bought it used and have never downloaded any software for it from Nintendo, so I've certainly not
agreed to any licensing requirements for that console. I own both GCN Zelda compilations, but I chose to install OoT and MM (both of which I also own on N64 game pak) using WADs so I could play without using the optical drive.

So tell me, how have i broken the law?
Buying used hardware doesn't mean a thing, the licence transfers between owners. The software licences are what I was talking about anyway. It's neither here nor there.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sure sure, like PS1 games and Neo-Geo and arcade games they released the PSN, Sony its just as guilty as Nintendo.
Because earlier you said that Sony is forcing you to re-download your titles and Nintendo does not when in fact they do.
Except nobody is caring.
It was pointed out, so clearly someone cared. Now, this doesn't offend me since I've been a Nintendo fan for a long time now, I'm just objective and capable to criticise things companies do wrong rather than follow them blindly like sheep. Constructive criticism is more desirable than blind praise.
Really? PS3 has got PS1 compatibility? Does it even support PS1 memory cards with the usb memory card reader for the PS3?Cool, looks like I was bad informed at that point of view, sorry about that.
Either way it would be cool to have PS2 on the PS3 as well.
It would be, but the feature was crippled, ramped up costs and was eventually dropped.
Excuse me but, should I care?
You should before you insult someone.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Because earlier you said that Sony is forcing you to re-download your titles and Nintendo does not when in fact they do.
It was pointed out, so clearly someone cared. Now, this doesn't offend me since I've been a Nintendo fan for a long time now, I'm just objective and capable to criticise things companies do wrong rather than following them blindly like sheep. Constructive criticism is more desirable than blind praise.
It would be, but the feature was crippled, ramped up costs and was eventually dropped.
You should before you insult someone.

Me insulting someone lol.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

...Because you're attacking them unjustly? You accused them of forcing you to rebuy digital copies of games you already own when truth is A) they're not forcing you to do anything and B) no one offers free physical-to-digital conversions.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
...Because you're attacking them unjustly? You accused them of forcing you to rebuy digital copies of games you already own when truth is A) they're not forcing you to do anything and B) no one offers free physical-to-digital conversions.
Well, to be fair, there's the UMD Passport program in Japan...

It's Sony's. They're the only ones who do this.

Hmm... :unsure:

mechagouki

Kill 'em all...
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Buying used hardware doesn't mean a thing, the licence transfers between owners. The software licences are what I was talking about anyway. It's neither here nor there.

Actually, I had the opportunity to ask a lawyer about this a couple of years ago, he was a patent lawyer, working for companies like Nokia and Oakley, going after the manufacturers of knock-off goods. He was well versed in IP law and explained to me that most software licensing agreements are only valid if it can be clearly proven that the licensee can be proven to have understood and voluntarily agreed to all the terms of the license, he actually went so far as to say that he would feel confident challenging most EULAs in court on the simple basis that the average person doesn't read them, or if they do read them, don't fully understand what they are agreeing to.

I certainly didn't agree to any terms and conditions when I bought my used Wii, and I never checked a "I have read and understood" box on any of my cartridge based software. Software companies might like us to think we are in tacit agreement with their requirements, but legally their stance is weak.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, to be fair, there's the UMD Passport program in Japan...

It's Sony's. They're the only ones who do this.

Hmm... :unsure:

Still doesn't make up for Sony's incompetence and sheer disregard for its customers by not putting a UMD drive on the Vita.

Because everyone wants a big fucking UMD drive on their Vita.

Because everyone wants UMDs.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Still doesn't make up for Sony's incompetence and sheer disregard for its customers by not putting a UMD drive on the Vita.

Because everyone wants a big fucking UMD drive on their Vita.

Because everyone wants UMDs.
I too believe that the battery life of the PSVita is too long, it could use a UMD Drive to cut it in half.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Lol what? Since when I'm attacking someone? I accused Sony of FORCING players to rebuy digital copies of physically owned games in order to play them on the console.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Lol what? Since when I'm attacking someone? I accused Sony of FORCING players to rebut digital copies of physically owned games in order to play them on the console.

dn4wC5w.png

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Damn, I can't find Gamecube games on the Wii Shop Channel
NES, SNES and N64 on the Wii. Game Boy, Game Boy Advance and NES on the 3DS.
and I can't find XBOX titles on XBOX live either :/
...nor do you have perfect Backwards Compatibility - only select titles.

I did say "when native Backwards Compatibility is impossible", did I not?

lol @ the effort taken.
lol @ technologially-illiterate.

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
NES, SNES, N64 on the Wii, Game Boy, Game Boy Advance, NES on the 3DS.
...nor do you have perfect Backwards Compatibility - only select titles.

I did say "when native Backwards Compatibility is impossible", did I not?

lol @ technologially-illiterate.

lol @ the defending of an console and bashing another one.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
lol @ the defending of an console and bashing another one.
lol @ not understanding what an example is and refusing to admit that you are wrong despite clear evidence that you are. Also, not bashing - stating facts.

If you haven't noticed yet, I'm merely talking with you using your (fanboy-ish) terms. Elevate the conversation to a normal level and we'll talk normally.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: oh shit where??? :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r: