PS4 NOT backward compatible with PS3

Xuphor

I have lied to all of you. I am deeply sorry.
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ps4-house.jpg
:arrow: http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/02...wards-compatible-with-retail-or-digital-games

Figured this news is worth it's own thread, instead of being lost in nearly 20 pages on the official PS4 announcement thread. Not good news IMO, since the PS3 lasted quite a long time. Having to pay again for all those games to play via several gigabyte downloads? Eww.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think most people by now already realized that. Not a surprise considering Sony moved from Cell to x86. The only way to achieve backward compatibility in this situation is to add Cell and RSX chips like Sony did with PS3 launch model. This in return drives up the price quite a bit.

This isn't like Wii to Wii U where Nintendo keeps using Power Architecture.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
This isn't big enough news to warrant its own USN thread separate of what is already being discussed in the front page PS4 thread. Besides there will be a way to stream ps1, ps2 and ps3 games to the ps4, the exact details about it have yet to be announced though. So moved.

Reactions: gamefan5

Sychophantom

I'm a plant.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is anyone really surprised given how much Sony likes to re-charge you to play games you've bought before? Or UMD to PSN?

The streaming part makes me wonder, though. I'm waiting to see what Microsoft does, before I decide whether or not to make a PS4 a priority or a "It'd be nice, but no fucks given either way".

Reactions: stanleyopar2000

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
This isn't big enough news to warrant its own USN thread separate of what is already being discussed in the front page PS4 thread. Besides there will be a way to stream ps1, ps2 and ps3 games to the ps4, the exact details about it have yet to be announced though. So moved.
So they expect people to rebuy all the ps1 ps2 ps3 games? is that a joke?

Reactions: jalaneme

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
So like, how come Sony is so much against Backwards Compatibility? Retail games, yeah, I can understand, but digital games? There's really no excuse on that one.

Sony is using a completely different architecture in the PS4 than it did with the PS3. If the games are digital or retail discs makes no difference, they all use cell architecture so its either find a way to emulate a very complicated cell cpu to run PS3 games or include cell technology in the PS4 along with the x86 cpu it uses in order to allow BC which will raise the price.

This is my personal stance on the matter that I have held since Nintendo omitted a GBA slot from the DSi, if you want to play PS3 games etc go and buy a PS3 and stop crying.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So like, how come Sony is so much against Backwards Compatibility? Retail games, yeah, I can understand, but digital games? There's really no excuse on that one.

If the game utilizes with the Cell Processor, digital or retail, it's just not going to be compatible with the new architecture.

They said some games might be compatible after some serious fiddling, but most won't. It sucks, but at the same time, the new tech should make the PS4 easier to develop for in the future - down the line, this means that the system should be home to better, less glitch-prone games.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sony is not against backward compatibility. The move from Cell to x86 makes it impossible to run PS3 game on PS4 without PS3 CPU & GPU.

As for digital aspect, Sony plans to stream PS1, PS2, and PS3 games (similar to how Onlive works) so you can play it on PS4.

Reactions: cherryw17

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
I think the worry of the OP is not exactly having to pay for them AGAIN but not being able to BOTH try to sell his current PS3 to get some money for the PS4 console AND be able to still play his old games.

... Or maybe it's having enough plugs available on his TV to be able to plug BOTH into it at the same time and doesn't want be switching cables back and forth every time he wants to play a PS3 game ... or drop the cash for a multi-input switch box for the TV or a power strip to plug them both into the wall.

(Just clarifying.)

BC is a nice convenience for those who are upgrading but those who didn't have the games already won't necessarily miss the ability to go out and buy used PS3 games for their brand new PS4. Unfortunately, if they really want to play those games they'd have to go buy a used console, too.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
The nice thing about streaming is it made it look like you won't even have to own a console to play PS3 games anymore ... if you buy a digital copy, that is.
(now we'll just have to see if this means you have to pay SEPARATE for the one you downloaded to the PS3 and the one you can stream to your PS4 .. or tablet, vita, pc, etc. ... only time will tell)

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Then keep your old PS3 and PS2 so you don't have to rebuy it. Is it too much to ask?
i have both a Ps3 and ps2 they wont last 30 years like my snes and genesis what will i do then rebuy hundreds of games? if you had anywhere near my collection of games u'd have a problem aswell. The PS4 is optical disc based right? most likely so theres no excuse to not play ps1 ps2 ps3 games make a adaptor that will play the games if it makes the system to expensive to include inside. The people who are ok with sony doing this are sheeps let them tell you whats right some more.

Reactions: jalaneme

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
my snes and genesis

It's funny you bring these up - The SNES isn't backwards compatible and both consoles were followed by consoles that lacked backwards compatible. Shouldn't you be used to this by now?

Also, wow. I finally found someone who understands console hardware even less than I do.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over