PS4 Kernel Exploit Leaked

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by SonyUSA, Mar 2, 2016.

Mar 2, 2016

PS4 Kernel Exploit Leaked by SonyUSA at 7:06 PM (31,281 Views / 15 Likes) 94 replies

1. TeamScriptKiddies

Member TeamScriptKiddies Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer

United States
    If its possible to run Linux then SteamOS is a definite possibility. Wine could potentially be run for windows software too. Although wine compatibility with windows programs seems to be hit or miss. I believe its emulation is still based on XP unless something changed in the last year or so (haven't paid much attention to wine, I prefer dualbooting myself).

2. aracom

Member aracom GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Wine is actually pretty great, Steam and some new games will run without problems. Of course you'll have more luck running stuff like AoE2HD or Point'n'Click games, but for linux-only PCs it's a good alternative.

TeamScriptKiddies likes this.
  3. Xzi

Member Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

United States
    This would have me interested in buying a PS4 if I hadn't just bought an HTC Vive. Lol.

Sounds like PS4 hacking is coming along nicely, though. Should be pretty accessible in a couple years.

4. Axido

Member Axido GBAtemp Fan

Germany
    Hey, just what I did.
    I could still afford a PS4, but even if it was ready for all kinds of homebrew, I'd probably think twice about buying one.

5. mech

Member mech ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤

United Kingdom
    what sort of PC do you need for that ?

6. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    They always have been. Horsepower was never the reason for buying a console, the reasons for buying a console is high performance at a considerably low price, accessibility and their plug and play nature. You can lionize PC's all you want, but at the end of the day, all I have to do to play a video game on a console is to shove it in - I have a guarantee that it'll work. I don't have to worry about the overhead of the OS, the drivers, patches for specific hardware setups or any of the assorted crap because a PS4 game is designed to work on a PS4. This does not apply to PC's because it's virtually impossible to optimize for a device that's not standardized. Historically consoles squeeze out more performance out of the same hardware because you're closer to bare metal - every PS4 is exactly the same, that's the advantage. You are paying for your time, it's a lease on one generation of gaming and horsepower only ever enters the picture when deciding whether or not it's sufficient to support gaming in the specific generation, and we only have that worry because of oddballs like Nintendo who don't understand trends in computing.

7. SonyUSA
    OP

Contributor SonyUSA We're all mad here

pip
    United States
    Actually I seem to recall the original ps3 jailbreak came out after 6 months or so of updates past the hackable version.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Having this unfinished code compiled doesn't really help anyone, it's missing some stuff before handing out something like this would be usefull...

8. Sakitoshi

Member Sakitoshi everything is going according the plan...

Chile
    Yes, the same that can already run PS2 games full speed and with more resolution.

9. Margen67

Banned Margen67 Dirty entited pirate

United States
    Nevermind the fact that it's an official emulator. Of course it's going to run better than, say, PCSX2. They're the creators of the console. They have access to the documentation, etc. necessary to make it run well.
    But that doesn't mean the CPU is powerful.

10. Sakitoshi

Chile
    Going by your reasoning then ps3 emulation is also possible since sony have all the documentation of it and should be a piece of cake to make it run even on vita.

11. Omenien

Newcomer Omenien Member

United States
    Emulating an instruction set that you know inside and out is going to be a lot easier than it would be for someone who hadn't worked closely with the development of the console, that doesn't mean that they can work miracles.

12. Sakitoshi

Chile
    I know, I know. But he was arguing like if Sony PS2 emulation on PS4 was like cheating because according to him PS4 has a CPU so slow it wont emulate complicated systems like the PS2 or Gamecube well enough to be worth it when in reality is proven that it can even up the internal resolution.

13. smf

Member smf GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    While documentation can help, it's usually more because they have a financial incentive to pay good developers to do the work and QA all the games.

14. kristianity77

Member kristianity77 GBATemp old fogey

United Kingdom
    Like others, I really don't see the point or really any advantage (apart from piracy) of hacking the PS4. A bog standard £50 android box will do all things media and things emulation that the PS4 could do (even in 4K if required), all without banning yourself from PSN and all the digital purchases you might have bought, not to mention Instant Game Collection titles. Just doesn't make sense to me in this day and age, unless of course, you just want PS4 games for a five finger discount. But with a load of games these days tied in to online, just seems like a huge waste of money. There are loads of better (and much cheaper) ways these days to get all your media / homebrew / emulation needs elsewhere.

15. TeamScriptKiddies

Member TeamScriptKiddies Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer

United States
    Does anyone one know if the kernel exploit was completely patched in later firmware or were some "wrenches thrown in the gears.". In other words is the kernel and webkit exploit portable to later firmwares or does a brand new exploit (or exploits, userland and kernel) need to be developed for later firmwares? I ask BC my bf is interested in modding his ps4 for homebrew ;). He's on the latest firmware now, so there's no way he can mod ATM, just wondering if stuff is portable or not.

16. mech

Member mech ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤

United Kingdom

There are hints of exploits that work up to the latest firmware but this leak only supports 1.76.......and 2.x if you are lucky.

17. frankGT

Newcomer frankGT Advanced Member

Portugal
    Just stumbled in this...

Do you think theres a chance of being able to play ps4 backups in 2016?

Dont know if i should stock a ps4 asap...

18. mech

Member mech ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤ ❤

United Kingdom
    no time like the present.

19. azoreseuropa

Member azoreseuropa GBAtemp Psycho!

Portugal
    I hope so because mine is 2.56. I bought PS4 from Ponta Delgada, Azores, Portugal and bring to America. Wait and see. :)

20. Margen67

Banned Margen67 Dirty entited pirate

United States
    There's no way of knowing for sure if it can run Dolphin until somebody manages to get it to run.
    Dolphin isn't first party so it wouldn't run as well as the PS2 emulator since it isn't optimized for the PS4.
    To be fair though the biggest bottleneck would probably be the drivers.
    Regardless it should definitely be able to run older consoles.

Any decent PC has a better CPU than the PS4.