Magsor

I am watching you
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ps3 softmod/jailbreak FAQ

I never got around finishing it so you are welcome to flame me and say whats wrong with it i figure its a start.
I will make a new post once i feel its good enough.

Can i softmod my ps3 like i did with my wii to run homebrew and backups ?

Yes, by installing a CFW(custom firmware)

Can I play online with CFW?

No. Custom firmware is a modified 3.55 or 3.41 firmware and you would need 3.56 to log in PSN. At this point its either CFW or PSN.

Can i brick my ps3 / is it dangerous?

Its just as dangerous as doing an official system update. There is an history of brick when CFW first came out, but if you use kmeaw or waninkoko v2 do not have any bricks report in.

Will I lose my backup games/save files/trophys/movies?

No, the hard drive is untouched when installling a new firmware.

Ok how do i do this?

1. Download official firmware 3.55

2. Put it on a usb key/hdd this way USB://PS3/UPDATE/UPDAT.PUP

3. Update to official firmware 3.55.

4. Check the md5 of the updat.pup (you cannot be too sure its included in the file above)

5. Download the firmware patch of your choice

6. Rename patch file to pup.patch and put all the files in the same directory

7. Run runme.bat

8. Copy ps3 folder to the root of usb and check MD5 of USB://PS3/UPDATE/UPDAT.PUP

9. go into Recovery mode with your ps3 holding power for a few seconds hearin 1 beep followed by 2 beep(then you can let go)

10.Choose system update.

My brother/cousin uses a psbreak is that good/better?

Lets put it this way Cfw is the same as dongle but without the need tu use/buy a device and on top of that dongles only works on firmwares below 3.42 so you make the choice...

Will there be a cfw over 3.55?

Probably maybe not now but since the public keys were found it is possible to sign homebrew to make the ps3 think they were made by sony themself.3.56 has introduced some new additionnal keys but we don't know yHow to bypass them.

Can sony detect this?

If you are connected to the internet yes. Because you console sends in Information of your doing to them even if you are not connected to PSN

Can this be erased/reverted?

Yes just reinstall ofw in recovery mode and format your console noTraces will be left.

Be aware that a lot of ps3 files going around are signed with private key these are copywririted we do not want any trouble so so unless they are original code you cant post them on gbatemp.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Flame, flame, FLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME. Ok, I've had my fun.

Flaming aside (flame flame), double check your use of capitals, add a few more commas, and embolden then questions. That'll make it much eaiser to read. Once that's out of the way, cut back on the wordiness a little.
EDIT: I can help if you want.

Also the last line is incomplete.

Magsor

I am watching you
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thanks for the flaming
whip.gif

I actually just copy pasted it from when i wroted it 2 weeks ago.
I realized need to upload some files.
Thanks to you its much easier to read now i think. Anything else?
Ill get on the wordiness later .

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Ps3 softmod/jailbreak FAQ

I never got around finishing it so you are welcome to flame me and say whats wrong with it I figure its a start.
I will make a new post once I feel its good enough.

Can I softmod my PS3 like I did with my Wii to run homebrew and backups ?

Yes, by installing a CFW (custom firmware) and the relevant homebrew (e.g. Gaia Manager).

Can I play online with CFW?

No. Custom firmware is a modified 3.55 or 3.41 firmware and you would need 3.56 to log in PSN. At this point its either CFW or PSN. All known proxy, DNS and certificate tricks to access PSN from 3.55 have been patched/blocked by Sony.

Can I brick my PS3 / is it dangerous?

It's just as dangerous as doing an official system update. There is a history of bricks when CFW first came out (more specifically, Waninkoko v1 CFW), but (snip) kmeaw and Waninkoko v2 do not have any bricks reported.

Will I lose my backup games/save files/trophies/movies?

No, the hard drive is untouched when installling a new firmware.

Ok, how do I do this?

1. Download official firmware 3.55

2. Put it on a usb key/hdd this way USB:\PS3\UPDATE\UPDAT.PUP

3. Update to official firmware 3.55. (Go to System Update and select "Update via Storage Media")

4. Check the md5 of the updat.pup (you cannot be too sure it's included in the file above)

5. Download the firmware patch of your choice

6. Rename patch file to pup.patch and put all the files in the same directory

7. Run runme.bat

8. Copy the PS3 folder to the root of usb and check MD5 of USB:\PS3\UPDATE\UPDAT.PUP

9. Go into Recovery mode with your PS3 holding power for a few seconds hearing 1 beep followed by 2 beeps (then you can let go)

10.Choose System Update.

My brother/cousin uses a psbreak is that good/better?

Lets put it this way CFW is the same as dongle but without the need to buy/use a device, and on top of that dongles only works on firmwares below 3.42. You make the choice...

Will there be a CFW over 3.55?

Probably, maybe not now but since the public keys were found it is possible to sign homebrew to make the PS3 think they were made by Sony. 3.56 has introduced some new additional keys but we don't know how to bypass them.

Can Sony detect this?

If you are connected to the internet, yes. Because your console sends in information of your doing to them even if you are not connected to PSN. The moment you turn the console on, it tries to send information to Sony. So far we don't know what that information is, but we do know the PS3 keeps logs of everything and that Sony can access these logs.

Can this be erased/reverted?

Yes, just reinstall OFW in recovery mode and format your console. No traces will be left.

Be aware that a lot of PS3 files going around that are signed with the private keys. These are [/b]under copyright and[/b] we do not want any trouble (snip) so unless they are original code you cant post them on gbatemp.
Edited. Wow that's a lot of effort, and I didn't even try rewriting much.

URLs use forward-slash ( / ), whilst file paths use back-slash ( \ ). It's not really important since it reads the same way, but it's still better to be accurate.
Step 8 confuses me slightly. You just need to make sure the modified UPDAT.PUP is in the UPDATE folder, so it's better to say that directly.
Also, Recovery Mode is not necessary for a successful update. I just went from 3.41 OFW to 3.55 OFW then to 3.55-kmeaw, without even once going into Recovery Mode.
Finally, does reinstalling OFW really remove every trace of the CFW? Including wiping the logs? And removing any homebrew from the drive?

As an additional note, that last line can be written much better. Homebrew signed with the private key use copyright protected data, so it's against the rules to link to them or sites containing such links on these forums... or words to that effect.

Suggestions for additional questions... What CFW are there to choose from? What is the best choice? What's all this Peek/Poke stuff about? Who do we have to thank for these amazing bits of hacking and coding?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night