- PC Stuff

- PS3 Stuff

GUIDE 2: CONNECTING TO PSN

- Pre-requisites

- Procedure

GUIDE 1: INSTALLING CFW AND BACKUP MANAGER
- PRE-REQUISITES -

0) A FAT32 formatted USB drive

Most low-capacity USB drives are already FAT32 formatted. If your's isn't, right click on the drive letter of your usb(eg: E:\) and click on Format. Choose FAT32 and Quick Format it.

1) OFW 3.55(if you don't already have it)

icon29.gif
Download (Use the mediafire link.)

MD5 CHECKSUM: ca595ad9f3af8f1491d9c9b6921a8c61

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS:

Make a new folder on the root of a usb drive and call it PS3. Make another folder inside it called UPDATE. Put the 3.55 update in here and make sure that it's named, 'PS3UPDAT.PUP'. Now put the usb drive into the PS3 and go to Settings -> System Update and choose Update via Storage Media and press 'X'.

2) CFWM 1.5 Small Version [32MB]

icon29.gif
Download

Used for obtaining Custom Firmwares.

3) MultiMAN:

icon29.gif
BASE

This is currently the best backup manager.

- PROCEDURE -
- PC STUFF -

STEP 0: CREATING A CUSTOM FIRMWARE
Automatic Patching:

1) Create a new folder on your desktop and call it 'CFWM'. If you downloaded OFW 3.55 earlier, skip step 3 and create a new folder inside this folder called 'Original_3.55_FW'. Copy the PS3UPDAT.PUP to this folder.

2) Extract the .exe from inside the CFWM archive to this folder.

3) Now, open the .exe and choose 'Download 3.55 OFW'.

4) After it has finished, choose any CFW from the 3.55 section and click on Create Custom Firmware 3.55.

NOTE: I recommend Kmeaw's 3.55 CFW.

Manual patching:(by Cyan)

1) Download CFWM v1.5 Full version (+batch by Cyan) [152MB]. and create a new folder on your desktop and call it 'CFWM'. Now, extract everything from that archive to this folder.

2) Place the downloaded OFW 3.55 in 'Original_3.55_FW' folder (or OFW 3.41 in 'Original_3.41_FW' folder).

3) Double click on the Batch file corresponding to the cfw you want to create (ex. Kmeaw_3.55.bat) and follow the instructions. Verify that both MD5 hashes are matching at the end of the process.

4) The patched cfw is now available in newly created folder named after the cfw you chose.

STEP 1: TRANSFERRING EVERYTHING TO THE USB DRIVE

Okay, now lets start transferring the CFW and the Backup Manager to the USB drive.

1) On the root of your USB drive, create a new folder called 'PS3'. Now inside 'PS3' create another folder called 'UPDATE'.

2) Go to the 'CFWM' folder and now go to the folder of your chosen CFW.

3) Find the PS3UPDAT.PUP file and copy it to the 'UPDATE' folder which we created.

4) Open the multiMAN archive.

5) Extract multiMAN WT.pkg, USB.CFG and options_default.ini to root of your USB drive.

- PS3 STUFF -

STEP 1: INSTALLING KMEAW CFW

1) In the XMB, go to Settings -> System Update.

2) Now select Update Via Storage Media.

3) A message will pop-up.

4) Press 'X'.

5) It should install successfully. If you get any errors, try installing it using Recovery Mode.

STEP 2: INSTALLING MULTIMAN BACKUP MANAGER

1) In the XMB go to Game -> Install Package Files.

2) Select MultiMAN and install it.

3) If you want to play games with Kmeaw cfw, you need to install this using the 'Install Package Files' option in the Game section of the XMB.

STEP 3: ENABLING NTFS ON MULTIMAN (OPTIONAL)

[title: ENABLING NTFS ON MULTIMAN]

1) Plug your external hdd into your PC and download this.

2) Install usbview and open it.

3) Grab the vendor id and the product id.

4) Now create a new notepad file and put this in 0xVNID:0xPRID:V where VNID is the vendor id and PRID is the product id and V is the number of volumes.

5) Now save it as USB.CFG and copy it over to the root of your USB Drive. If it asks you to replace it, do so.

6) Now download Awesome File Manager and install it on your PS3.

7) Run it and browse to /dev_hdd0/game/BLES80608/USRDIR

8) On the other side you should find a directory that has "USB" in it, the inside directory should have your "USB" file.

9) Highlight it and press O to copy it into MultiMAN USRDIR.

10) Now go back to multiMAN and press Start + /\.

11) The NTFS driver should be activated now.

NOTE: Currently you can only copy from an external NTFS hdd to your internal hdd. Nothing more, nothing less.

-END OF GUIDE 1-
GUIDE 2: CONNECTING TO PSN

THIS DOES NOT WORK AS OF 3/18/2011. FOR MORE INFO, GO HERE.

- PRE-REQUISITES -

0) A FAT32 formatted USB drive

Most low-capacity USB drives are already FAT32 formatted. If your's isn't, right click on the drive letter of your usb(eg: E:\) and click on Format. Choose FAT32 and Quick Format it.

1) TEAM REBUG'S 3.60 SPOOFER

icon29.gif
Visit Team Rebug website to download a list of URLs

Select a link from the provided list in the text file to download the installer.

- PROCEDURE -
INSTALLING TEAM REBUG'S 3.60 SPOOFER

1) Extract 3.60_Version_Spoofer.pkg from the archive you downloaded to the root of your USB drive.

2) Plug it in to your PS3

3) In the XMB go to Game -> Install Package Files.

4) Select 3.60 Version Spoofer

5) Once loaded Press the 'X' button to install. It will take about 15-45 seconds.

6) When it prompts for a reboot, do so.

STEP 2: INSTALLING FUCK PSN (OPTIONAL. USE THIS FOR SPOOFING YOUR CONSOLE ID).

1) Download dev_blind.pkg, fuckPsn-v0.6.exe and CA27.cer from here. Copy dev_pkg and openps3ftp.pkg from the OpenPs3Ftp archive to the root of your USB Drive.

2) On your desktop, create a new folder. Let's call it Fuck PSN.

3) Copy CA27.cer and the fuckPsn-v0.6.exe file to this folder.

4) Now download an FTP server. I personally use FileZilla.

5) Install it.

6) Now plug-in your USB Drive into your PS3.

7) In the XMB, go to Install Package Files and install dev_blind and OpenPS3FTP.

8) Go to Game and launch dev_blind to mount the flash as writable

9) Now on your PS3 run OpenPS3Ftp and on your PC run Filezilla or whichever FTP server you use.

10) Go to FileZilla and enter root as the username and openbox as the password.

11) Now using FileZilla go to /dev_blind/data /cert

12) Rename CA27.cer to CA27.cer.bak

13) Now copy over the CA27.cer from the FuckPSN directory that we created earlier to /dev_blind/data/cert

14) Now change your PS3's primary and secondary dns servers to your PS3's IP. If you don't know how to change the DNS servers look here.

15) After you're done changing the DNS servers, reboot your PS3 and launch FuckPSN.exe from the folder we created earlier.

16) You can now connect to PSN.

-END OF GUIDES-

F.A.Q.(by Cyan)

Main questions

Q. Can I use burnt Bluray discs to play games?
A. No. Only Internal and External HDD is working with backup managers.

Q. I updated past 3.55, is there any way to get the 3.55 custom firmware from there?
A. No. There's no way to downgrade from 3.56+ firmware yet using a software method. Though, there is a way to downgrade some FAT PS3 involving Infectus modchip.

Q. I'm on 3.50 or bellow. Do I need to install the Official Firmware 3.55 first?
A. Even if installing a cfw3.55 over an old fw should work, it's recommended that you update your PS3 to the same Official Firmware as the cfw you want to install first to avoid bricking your console.

Q. I'm on 3.41 or bellow and don't want to update to 3.55, do I really need to install 3.55 to use a cfw?
A. No, you can install Hermes cfw 3.41 (please update to ofw 3.41v2 first) and follow the guide the same way. Just don't install the Version Spoofer from Team Rebug (It only works on 3.55).

Q. I'm already using a cfw but I want to change for Kmeaw 3.55
A. First re-install the ofw 3.55 over your current one, then follow the guide again.

Q. How big should be my USB drive just to install it, not to play back ups?
A. Around 200mb.

Q. Where can I find all previous Official Firmware and their MD5 hash ?
A. Sony removed previous firmwares from their servers when the first jailbreak method appeared. You can still find remaining links and all the informations here.

CFWM

Q. The program doesn't start.
A. You need .Net framework 4.0.

Q. Where can I find .net4.0 ?
A. Here

Q. I don't want to install .Net4.0. How can I still patch the firmware?
A. You can use bspatch program to patch the firmware manually. Follow the manual patching method in the Guide.

PSN

Q. Can Sony ban my PSN account?
A. Yes, as Sony can't ban your Console ID, they can ban your account. But you can always create a new account, while unbanning the PS3 itself will be harder.

Q. Can I play online with all games?
A. You can't play online anymore. You need the 3.62+ official firmware to connect to PSN.

Q. FuckPSN is not working, what can I do?
A. You need .net Framework 3.5, and if you are using a firewall you need to open these ports : 53 UDP, 80 TCP and 443 TCP. You may need to close Skype.

Multiman :

Q. When I press start+triangle to enable NTFS it freezes
A. Your NTFS partition needs to be primary and active.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I updated the guide.
- Removed PSN from the title.
- Faq: said it needs latest official firmware to connect to PSN.
- Faq: Added Infectus information for downgrade. Though, it's only for people with soldering knowledge.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Once your console is softmoded, you can backup your games on the internal HDD without problem, either with a backup manager, or manually transfering folders and files to the HDD.
Once in debug mode, you can explore and change all the content of the internal HDD (file explorer, FTP server, etc.).

Usually, the backup games are stored internally in /dev_hdd0/games/
Don't touch the "dev_hdd0/GAME/" folder, this one is used by the console.

You can check the game compatibility here to see which games are compatible internally or externally only.
Some games require external BD-Mirror mode.

Rocketpink2003

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

I just followed the instruction on page 1 to softmod my PS3 to Kmeaw CFW3.55 and Multiman. I just used Multiman to backup Final Fantasy XIII to the internal HD. But every time I tried to load the game from Multiman, then launched from under Game menu, it did not work. The screen just blank out for few seconds and then came back the XBM menu.

Did I do anything wrong? Could you please help?

Thanks.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you already played Final 13 from Bluray, un-install all installed Data (top of th game column on XMB) and let the backup version of the game reinstall it.

There's a troubleshooting section on my multiMAN guide.
you should see few recommendation if you have black screen, or return to XMB.
Also, always keep an original game disc in the drive.

Rocketpink2003

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you very much Cyan. I will try that.

Post merged
-------------
Hi Cyan,

I tried it and it did not work. It just happened like before. Can I do the softmod again from the beginning based on your guide? Will it hurt the game I just back up?

Anyway I did not see your guide for Multiman except the installation on page 1. Could you point me to that link?

Thank you very much.

Post Merged
-------------
Hi Cyan,

I made it worked already. I updated the Multiman to version 2.05 and re-installed Bmenu and suddenly it worked...???

Thank you very much.

hack3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey it looks like the download link for OFW 3.55 is broken. Can somebody hook a brotha up?

Edit: And while we're on the subject I've wasted 15 minutes trying to find the MultiMAN backup manager on that website and I can't find a legitimate download link for the life of me, so that would also be much appreciated...

Scratch that, I found it somewhere else.

Oh and one more question, if the OFW of my PS3 is higher than 3.55 will "updating"(downgrading) to 3.55 still work the way it is written at the beginning of this guide or do I need to downgrade the FW some other way?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
updating is not downgrading.
You can't update backward.

If you are on 3.56 or more, you can't jailbreak or install a custom firmware at all.
You need to go to 3.70 and downgrade using hardware devices.

hack3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How would one go about downgrading using hardware devices? I just checked and the PS3 is running on 3.66

hack3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Damn I was really hoping I wouldn't have to buy or solder anything....

I guess I'll just wait until softmodding becomes possible for later firmwares, whenever that may be

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a bit expansive, but it does it job well. I bet you modding shops will probably have a option soon to do it for you, thats what I'm planning on doing.

hack3r

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeaahhhhh but that still involves money
tongue.gif
And it's not my PS3 technically so I wouldn't want to do that to my friend's console without really knowing enough about it. I'll just wait. How long could it take?

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I have a question a n00b question dangerous for your brain.

Will there ever come a hack without need of a modchip? Is there still activity by hackers?

Thats it.

DarkShinigami

#1 strongest Shinigami BANKAI
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Dark Langin said:
I have a question a n00b question dangerous for your brain.

Will there ever come a hack without need of a modchip? Is there still activity by hackers?

Thats it.
sadly till new keys are found like what geohotz did then no

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
So with the cfw installed can I play my legal (hehehe) game backups? Cause it's either this or buying a cobra-usb.

Edit : wtf sn1gger is a censored word?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You can play your legal or less legal games as long as they are working with 3.56, or if there's a way to patch a 3.60+ game to work on 3.55

If you want to play/backup 3.60+ games, then check this list first : http://www.pshomebrew.net/wiki/PS3_Backup_Compatibility_List
remember, never update or you'll loose your hack.
Even if it's an original game that you're dying to play, don't update and don't play it. Choose : update+play+loose_hack or don't_play+hack.
sometime it's even better to backup a 3.60+game than playing it in original form (original will always ask to update, while backup can be patched).

pyromaniac123

ส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็(ಠ益ಠส็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็็
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks for answering.

Can I change themes/wallpapers with cfw or am I stuck with boring default?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: They're made with left over pancake/wafle batter, that's been sitting out all day.