Hardware PS3 Melted IHS

Squigi632

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a 60GB Phat PS3. It started freezing up, so I took it apart and redid the thermal paste. It worked great for 30 minutes then started locking up. I had a friend of a friend look at it and he said I put too much thermal paste and the heat sink melted. I'm assuming that means the IHS plate melted to the to the heatsink but I can't find any instances of this happening. Has anyone heard of this? Also this is a cfw console so I'm hoping to find somewhere that can repair.

marcus134

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
the heat sink melted. I'm assuming that means the IHS plate melted

did you use sulfuric acid (vitriol) or something similar as a thermal paste?
because the only other way to melt aluminum I can think of is to reach temperature above 1200 F, high enough for other parts of your ps3 to melt or catch fire before getting there.
My guess would be that your friend doesn't know what he's talking about, and you don't have any melted aluminum in your ps3.

A possibility would be that you used conductive thermal paste such as arctic silver, used to much and it spilled on the motherboard and caused a short, if the case, a cleanup of the board could save your ps3.

Ericthegreat

Not New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
did you use sulfuric acid (vitriol) or something similar as a thermal paste?
because the only other way to melt aluminum I can think of is to reach temperature above 1200 F, high enough for other parts of your ps3 to melt or catch fire before getting there.
My guess would be that your friend doesn't know what he's talking about, and you don't have any melted aluminum in your ps3.

A possibility would be that you used conductive thermal paste such as arctic silver, used to much and it spilled on the motherboard and caused a short, if the case, a cleanup of the board could save your ps3.
I agree, see if any dripped on the motherboard. Also check for loose connections.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Tell your friend to show you where it melted. It is impossible for IHS to be melted from a proper thermal paste, or overheated chip.

Now it is possible for corrosion to occur with copper heatsink (not IHS), but it needs moisture and takes a long time for it to happen. So if copper heatsink itself is damaged, then something is really wrong.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
He might be confusing the thermal paste with it being the IHS itself. I know when I first took apart my 60gig to put on new stuff, I realized how caked-on the thermal paste was on from the factory. It really helped a lot when I was able to put on a fresh sliver of Arctic Silver 5.

Squigi632

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, got the real story two weeks later. when pulling off the heat sink he also pulled off the RSX chip. He put it back on as best he could be the damage was done. he recommended sending it spitfiremods and i already emailed them and sounds like they can try reballing for 70 bucks. Does anyone know anyone know any other reputable repair shops that are either cheaper or maybe a walk in shop located in western Mass.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, got the real story two weeks later. when pulling off the heat sink he also pulled off the RSX chip. He put it back on as best he could be the damage was done. he recommended sending it spitfiremods and i already emailed them and sounds like they can try reballing for 70 bucks. Does anyone know anyone know any other reputable repair shops that are either cheaper or maybe a walk in shop located in western Mass.
$70 is a good deal, assuming they properly reball it. In fact it is a little too cheap, most reball are priced around $100.

If your friend pulled off the RSX chips there is a small chance that solder under CELL BE is also cracked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.