Rafinesque

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I had an original 60 GB PS3, but sold it a couple of years ago, because I didn't play it much. As soon as the firmware was hacked, I bought a Move Bundle, with the intention of using it for homebrew (not interested in pirating games).

Now, with all the nonsense that Sony is doing (lifetime bans, etc.), it seems like it's almost not worth the hassle of trying to deal with trying to keep the console able to play games online and run homebrew (if it's even possible).

Anyone else feel the same way? I was looking forward to having homebrew on a console with HD video output, but I may just go back to the Wii for homebrew at this point....

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's pretty much your decision.

1. Use homebrew and maybe backups and have no psn.

2. have no hombrew or backups, but you have psn.

Rafinesque

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Won't newer games start requiring updated firmware, even if you are offline?

My PS3 is still on FW 3.4, I think, so I still have options.

EDIT: Could you swap hard drives, and avoid being caught? The PS3 is apparently logging what you are running, even when you aren't online, and uploads that anytime you go online, but I wonder if those logs are on the hard drive. So you could have a "homebrew drive" and a "PSN drive". Put in the PSN drive whenever going on PSN, and avoid detection? I guess they could still detect CFW.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rafinesque said:
The games right now were made with the 3.55 firmware, so for right now no.

But when games are being made with the newer firmwares than yes, you'll either have to wait or update.

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The lifetime bans are only from the PSN service, your Move Bundle PS3 is yours to keep and do as you wish. Check out the Terms of Service regarding the Playstation Network and see if it's something that you agree with and can agree too. If so, update to 3.56 and enjoy the PSN; if not, hack away.

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rafinesque said:

My PS3 is still on FW 3.4, I think, so I still have options.

EDIT: Could you swap hard drives, and avoid being caught? The PS3 is apparently logging what you are running, even when you aren't online, and uploads that anytime you go online, but I wonder if those logs are on the hard drive. So you could have a "homebrew drive" and a "PSN drive". Put in the PSN drive whenever going on PSN, and avoid detection? I guess they could still detect CFW.
I don't think that will work. besides, wouldn't it be a hassle to keep switching hard drives?

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
The CFW is installed to the flash memory, not the hard drive. Since that's the case, logging will pick up the presence of the CFW anyway and that will breach PSN ToS.

I'm hearing mixed reports of the F-PSN v0.5 exploit. Some say it's been blocked by Sony, some say it still works. Currently it's the only method that offers hacked users any chance of going on PSN, although the chances of getting banned for using it are still quite high.

Personally, I'm just staying offline except to download game updates. Once I've had my fill of playing all the PS3 titles I never had the money to get, I'll probably switch back to being legit and buying the few games I actually enjoyed (like Disgaea 3 and Enslaved).

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find the rumors that Sony will be releasing a "hack proof" PS3 for a fraction of a cost compared to its predecessors in the near future interesting. I for one am hanging on to my kmeaw'd offline console and hoping for a secondary/affordable PS3 for PSN purposes only.

Shabutie78

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mechadylan said:
I find the rumors that Sony will be releasing a "hack proof" PS3 for a fraction of a cost compared to its predecessors in the near future interesting. I for one am hanging on to my kmeaw'd offline console and hoping for a secondary/affordable PS3 for PSN purposes only.

AKA: sony's got you by the bawls, my friend.

stop being so afraid and just use your PS3 on PSN.
there's already a circumvention in case of permabanning, and lots of people who received the email and then stopped using their PS3 online weren't even banned.
like me. the ban wave is over, check if you can still go online with your hacked PS3 before you go giving sony more of your money.

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
If you don't plan to use backup managers or Linux there's no choice to be made, stick with OFW. Otherwise it won't do you any harm to take a break from online gaming. That shit's unhealthy for your social life

mechadylan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Shabutie78 said:
mechadylan said:

AKA: sony's got you by the bawls, my friend.

stop being so afraid and just use your PS3 on PSN.
there's already a circumvention in case of permabanning, and lots of people who received the email and then stopped using their PS3 online weren't even banned.
like me. the ban wave is over, check if you can still go online with your hacked PS3 before you go giving sony more of your money.
Lol'd. Far from it, dear sir. If and when the next gen PS3 comes out, the price tag will determine who has whom "by the bawls" as you so eloquently put it. Personally, I think it's the consumers that have Sony right where they want them with regards to more affordable consoles in the future. My reason? Sony has been put on the hot seat for providing features and then taking them away. I suspect newer consoles might be limited in other "non-game" features in order to keep the prices down, the customers coming, and the class action lawsuits away.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.