Hacking PS3 Direct backup boot really possible?

rgros

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I read today on a news website that South African hackers have been caught with PS3 backups that they where selling..

I have heard every one say that it's impossible to run backups from Blue-ray on the ps3.

Translating from the source:

"Dismantled a pirate network that dedicated itself to distribution of codes that would circumvent the ps3 security keys and selling pirate games"

This story contradicts that science..

Can any one with the knowledge add some light to this ??

Source

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
rgros said:
distribution of codes that would circumvent the ps3 security keys and selling pirate games
Nowhere it talks about bluray game disc. You can sell games on hard drives too.

Even from the Portuguese source (wait, is that Portuguese? great, I understood it all), it's talking about USB jailbreak dongle, hard drives and original games PS2/PS3:
"memórias USB para jailbreak, consolas PlayStation3, discos rígidos e jogos originais PS2 e PS3".
No mention to burned blu-ray.
If really it's burned discs it's only for PS2, as PS3 games are most probably on the mentioned HDD.

rgros

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cyan said:
rgros said:
distribution of codes that would circumvent the ps3 security keys and selling pirate games
Nowhere it talks about bluray game disc. You can sell games on hard drives too.

Even from the Portuguese source (wait, is that Portuguese? great, I understood it all), it's talking about USB jailbreak dongle, hard drives and original games PS2/PS3:
"memórias USB para jailbreak, consolas PlayStation3, discos rígidos e jogos originais PS2 e PS3".
No mention to burned blu-ray.
If really it's burned discs it's only for PS2, as PS3 games are most probably on the mentioned HDD.

Maybe you are correct since probably they got this info from another language web source or other place, but i was curious since as far as i'm informed it is not possible to load backups directly due to hardware limitations

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn