PS1/2 PS2 Lagging Problems

seznam88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi people I´m experiencing problem with my PS2 when I burn any game and tried with 4x and 8x speed I have a lagging problem in cutscenes

I don´t know why ? I´m trying calibrating my brand new laser and still doing on some games is turn off sound in-game cutscenes too for example in Devil May Cry and in some games I´m experiencing skipping cutscenes I don´t know why ? what I´m doing wrong I´m using Imgburn for burning and Trying to burning every game with 4x and 8x Burning on K-Classic but I´m trying Verbatim too and still is doing. is my burner bad ? As I say I´m experiencing this problem with every game which I burn for my PS2

Please help me anyone because I want to play my PS2 again
icon_cry.gif

Thank you very much for help
icon_e_smile.gif

Necron

Lurking~
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
The recommended speed is 2x. Just select 1x in ImgBurn and let it set the burner to the lowest possible speed (I usually get 2.3x). I haven't had any stutter issues.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
x4 and x8 are pretty slow speeds as well and I doubt that they are the problem - I burn Sega Saturn discs at x8-x16 and they work perfectly fine on far more ancient hardware.

Every burner burns discs more or less efficiently and accurately, so the whole "do it as slow as possible" recommendation is indeed valid, but highly depends on the hardware used as some burners will burn perfect copies at x8 or faster and some will have problems even if they go as slow as they possibly can.

My recommendation is to check if those affected games also work poorly over SMB or HDD loading - if yes then they may be poorly patched or the problem lies on the PS2's side. If they work perfectly fine then switch the medium you're burning on and if that fails, clean up the burner's lens or try a different burner. Much like any other drives, burners do deteriorate over time, so keep that in mind.

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Foxi4 could it also be the disc speed at which the ps2 runs the game. I remember playing a game once and it would not get passed a cut scene, I went into some settings and found that the speed was set to high so I put it to medium or so ( really long time so I don't remember) and it went passed the cut scene I was stuck on.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Foxi4 could it also be the disc speed at which the ps2 runs the game. I remember playing a game once and it would not get passed a cut scene, I went into some settings and found that the speed was set to high so I put it to medium or so ( really long time so I don't remember) and it went passed the cut scene I was stuck on.
Never fooled around with the disc drive settings on the PS2 as I can't stick juggling discs anymore. It's the 21st century, we have rectangular phones crossed with computers in our pockets that allow us to be online 24/7, our televisions and laptops are about as thick as your average book (often thinner), we're cooking TV dinners with goddamn microwaves and we enjoy wireless transmission of data - why the hell would I want to pirate using discs unless it's absolutely necessary and there's no other solution available? It's all about SMB/HDD for me, OpenPS2Loader all the way. :P

Reactions: BlackWizzard17

seznam88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can´t burning DVDs on my burner slower than 4x. I can´t use HDD because I have Slim PS2 SCPH-90004. I have a Modchip Matrix Infinity 1.99. I don´t hear before about that I can stream the games via LAN to your PS2 but I see on Internet that SMB doing the cutscenes stutter and I want resolve stuttering of cutscenes so that doesn´t help me and I think that the Compatibility of this software is not high or good or at least can´t run all the games and I don´t like that I download some game and I can´t run it.
Any other tips ? :)

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The idea of burning at the slowest speed possible is invalid in these modern time. The idea came around in the past (and still persists) because,

* People uses inferior discs. Many times people just buy whats available on Walmart or ebay without doing through research. Some times people buy fake discs where they advertised to be a quality one.
* People uses inferior burner. Just because a burner is capable to burn a certain disc does not mean they all produce the same burn quality.
* Improper disc handling and storage.
* People seems to have the impression that because fast burning makes less "impression" on the disc, the quality is inferior. In reality, CLV (constant linear velocity) and CAV (constant angular velocity) adjust rotation speed and laser power throughout burning cycle. Each sector of the disc is exposed to burning equally throughout out the burning cycle.

Not to mention minimum burn speed is determined by writing profile presented on the disc and burning speed supported by the burner. For example, a Taiyo Yuden DVD-R has minimum writing speed profile of 8x, so the only way to burn less than 8x is to use a burner that doesn't support 8x speed (like a laptop burner).

The only way to accurately check burn quality is to use professional equipment, or if you lucky enough, has a burner that supports quality check (most modern burner don't).

With that all being said, what disc and burner are you using OP?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to go a little off topic here but I still cant believe that with ODEs available for the likes of the 360 / PS3 etc, why one hasnt been made yet for the PS2. I'd be all over it. I just found the other HD methods currently, all too picky regarding compatibility.

seznam88

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I´m using K-Classic DVD-Rs but I tried Verbatim DVD-Rs too but the quality of burns is more bad than with K-Classic.
I have Sony Optiarc AD-5280S.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Sorry to go a little off topic here but I still cant believe that with ODEs available for the likes of the 360 / PS3 etc, why one hasnt been made yet for the PS2. I'd be all over it. I just found the other HD methods currently, all too picky regarding compatibility.
I had little problems using SMB, most of the games I tried work perfectly fine and I'm pretty sure HDD loading works even better. There's really no need for an ODDE solution for systems that already support alternative loading methods - further development of OPL and other loaders seems like the way to go to me. ;)

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Do you know the media code of K-Classic and Verbatim? Put empty/burned disc inside and pretend you want to burn. Imgburn should be able to tell you the media code.

In the mean time, see if you can try it on another PS2 or burner.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Neither one of them is good disc. I won't talk about Ritek, since it has been bashed to death. MCC 03RG20 is a bit of mix bag. Some people get good batch, some people don't. Definitely not as good as back when Verbatim manufacture its own disc.

You sure you don't have another burner or PS2 to test it?

FireEmblemGuy

Celebrating a decade of shitposting
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had little problems using SMB, most of the games I tried work perfectly fine and I'm pretty sure HDD loading works even better. There's really no need for an ODDE solution for systems that already support alternative loading methods - further development of OPL and other loaders seems like the way to go to me. ;)

A drive emulator actually wouldn't be a terrible idea for slim PS2s - no internal HDD support, slowish USB support, and SMB is a pain in the ass to set up sometimes. But even USB works for most games, if you can stand a couple seconds extra loading times, and if you get something like this you could theoretically wirelessly network your PS2 pretty easily.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
A drive emulator actually wouldn't be a terrible idea for slim PS2s - no internal HDD support, slowish USB support, and SMB is a pain in the ass to set up sometimes. But even USB works for most games, if you can stand a couple seconds extra loading times, and if you get something like this you could theoretically wirelessly network your PS2 pretty easily.

I too actually support ODE on PS2. It'll be great to detach PS2 Slim from home network or avoid the need of NAS.

A few games do stutter with SMB, because of bottleneck on PS2 I/O chip.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You can totally connect an HDD to a Slim PS2, on top of that, you can always use network loading (not a single game I tested suffered from stutter). Not saying that an ODDE would be a bad idea, I just find it unnecessary.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr