PS1/2 PS2 Free Mcboot HDD from PC

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finding both of these are actually pretty easy, do a simple Google search for IDE hard drives (you can find capable maxator up to 1TB) and they aren't to expensive untill you breach 250gb (which I got a 250 for 15 dollars).A simple Google search for them yields plenty of places to buy them, theirs a chart some where that'll tell you which ones work that is also easy to find through Google. As for the adapters, they still sell them at game stop I think, but usually they're REALLY easy to find

Maybe you could find some of those SATA adapters they made, missing the Network ports though :(

http://www.dx.com/p/2-5-3-5-sata-hdd-network-adapter-for-ps2-30000-50000-54329

Inotamira

Golden Dragon
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.freewebs.com
XP
Country
United States
Maybe you could find some of those SATA adapters they made, missing the Network ports though :(
They had sata adapters for the PS2? Also, I don't need the ethernet port really as I don't do online play and know where to get tools to install games directly into the hard drive (this one is big enough to hold about 30 odd games depending on if they where over a gig or not)

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Inotamira

Golden Dragon
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.freewebs.com
XP
Country
United States

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Oh wow - those spiffy new Network Adapters looks sweet. Smells of third-party Chinese knock-offs from a mile, but it seems well-worth it if they support SATA drives without any adapters that may or may not fit into the system. Not too shabby!

Reactions: Psionic Roshambo

rusty shackleford

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All you have to do is download the FHDB img zip from here and download "hdd raw copy" from here. Now open up the hdd raw copy tool, select the FHDB img you extracted as the source then choose your hard drive as the target to write to. Wait a few minutes for it to finish and your done. I used some cheap external enclosure to hook up my hard drive to the usb, if you dont have or want to buy an enclosure/adapter just hook it up to the ide on the motherboard. And make sure you select the correct hard drive in the hdd raw copy tool app.
if you're going to be transferring games try to get one of these
http://www.amazon.com/SATA-Adapter-...=UTF8&qid=1408029530&sr=8-10&keywords=ide+usb
http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-RX35...29689&sr=1-112&keywords=ide+usb+enclosure+3.5

Inotamira

Golden Dragon
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.freewebs.com
XP
Country
United States
All you have to do is download the FHDB img zip from here and download "hdd raw copy" from here. Now open up the hdd raw copy tool, select the FHDB img you extracted as the source then choose your hard drive as the target to write to. Wait a few minutes for it to finish and your done. I used some cheap external enclosure to hook up my hard drive to the usb, if you dont have or want to buy an enclosure/adapter just hook it up to the ide on the motherboard. And make sure you select the correct hard drive in the hdd raw copy tool app.

Or just download the newbie package, open a cmd terminal as administrator, cd to the newbie program's directory and tell it the PartitionDisk and you're done

Inotamira

Golden Dragon
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.freewebs.com
XP
Country
United States
if you're going to be transferring games try to get one of these
http://www.amazon.com/SATA-Adapter-Cable-Power-Cord/dp/B001OOT804/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1408029530&sr=8-10&keywords=ide usb
http://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-RX35-AT-IU-SLV-Aluminum-Enclosure/dp/B004K4Z1YW/ref=sr_1_112?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1408029689&sr=1-112&keywords=ide usb enclosure 3.5
On a second note I would actually advise AGAINST using this method as it locks your size to whatever the image is, the package I've provided just formats the HDD (if you tell it to) adds the files and modifies the boot sector to boot to mcboot

Inotamira

Golden Dragon
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.freewebs.com
XP
Country
United States

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
No, like a PC controller with the right amount of buttons or a PS3 controller using the USB
To be painfuly frank, I've never used any USB controllers on the PS2. I do know that some games are designed with those in mind and support them, but as far as the system menu or homebrew is concerned, I have no clue.

Inotamira

Golden Dragon
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.freewebs.com
XP
Country
United States
To be painfuly frank, I've never used any USB controllers on the PS2. I do know that some games are designed with those in mind and support them, but as far as the system menu or homebrew is concerned, I have no clue.

I don't entirely see why this wouldn't be possible, considering that OPL works by more or less emulating the PS2's disc drive with as light weight a code as possible to avoid intruding on the games "breathing room".

How hard would it be to do something similar, in theory all you'd need is a similar type of emulator geared towards faking the input, and a simple launch and configure program to map it to any kind of USB device to where in theory you could even use a keyboard and mouse right?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I don't entirely see why this wouldn't be possible, considering that OPL works by more or less emulating the PS2's disc drive with as light weight a code as possible to avoid intruding on the games "breathing room".

How hard would it be to do something similar, in theory all you'd need is a similar type of emulator geared towards faking the input, and a simple launch and configure program to map it to any kind of USB device to where in theory you could even use a keyboard and mouse right?
Pretty sure that controller inputs are I/O'd directly by the hardware, so remapping them to USB might pose a challenge. Perhaps there's an app that would serve in this purpose, but I haven't heard of one. I have seen people using DS3 controllers via USB though by connecting them through a controller port adapter, but that's an additional expense.

Inotamira

Golden Dragon
OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.freewebs.com
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure that controller inputs are I/O'd directly by the hardware, so remapping them to USB might pose a challenge. Perhaps there's an app that would serve in this purpose, but I haven't heard of one. I have seen people using DS3 controllers via USB though by connecting them through a controller port adapter, but that's an additional expense.

Where as data from the DVD drive isn't?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Where as data from the DVD drive isn't?
Not really, at least not a 100% - DVD drives have a firmware of their own, the BIOS merely interfaces with them. IDE drives are very much the same - they have their own logic board, firmware, cache etc., they merely serve the host device upon request.

Long story short, just because two ports are on the same motherboard does not mean that you can re-direct inputs between them or point one to the other. In this case though I think it can be done, as there are clearly games that utilize USB accessories of all sorts.

EDIT: A quick Google search and a psx-scene browse seems to confirm my suspicions - you'll need an adapter to convert the controller input signal into something the PS2 can understand, meaning you'll have to use the controller port.

Gaming4Ever

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mmmm very interesting i also had not heard about this until now.....Guess im gonna have to bust out the old Fattie PS2 and do some Formatting :download:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1