PS Vita Hopes To Prevent Piracy With Closed Memory Format

Gitaroo

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
still pricey but we don't know the speed so can't compare these with crap ass SD card. But I agree, it should be half the price or everything should be double the capacity.

AceWarhead

"Must Construct Additional Pylons"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, Sony is just asking to be hacked. Why in the world would you put out a claim like that? That just an open challenge to hackers.
Hope Sony loses that challenge..
So you can use your "homebrews", right? Yeah... sure... "homebrews"...
Yeah, "homebrews" like Uncharted: Golden Abyss....

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm still amazed no one in this thread has ever owned a PSP.

Really, because the memory stick duos are basically the same price.
Or I should say, they were for several years.

Reactions: 2 people

FluffyLunamoth

Still a Touhou Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

The point is that memstick pro duos are not proprietary. They work on all Sony products. So the price is at least somewhat justifiable, as they can still be used for other things.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States

As stated, MS was used in cameras and laptops and shit, and was available via multiple companies so prices were at least somewhat competitive.

Looks like none of that is the case here.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal

As stated, MS was used in cameras and laptops and shit, and was available via multiple companies so prices were at least somewhat competitive.

Pretty much this.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

The point is that memstick pro duos are not proprietary. They work on all Sony products. So the price is at least somewhat justifiable, as they can still be used for other things.

I wouldn't know.
I paid the fee for a MSD and never took it out of my PSP, and quickly forgot about the price as I enjoyed my handheld instead of bitching about the cost.

Honestly, I work at minimum wage and I don't even see this as expensive. You buy a decent sized one and never again have to buy another. It's not that expensive.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States

Pretty much this.
I have to disagree with the two of you. I was too lazy to do any searching, but I doubt that it was "available via multiple companies" at launch. Why would sony ever release them under their brand name, if other companies simultaneously offered them cheaper? It doesn't make sense. the new ms is bound to get some cheaper ones from other companies afterwards, just like the psp ones did.

And just in case you didn't know, "The Memory Stick Duo was developed in response to Sony's need for a smaller flash memory card for pocket-sized digital cameras, cell phones and the PlayStation Portable" (source). Compared to it's preceder (the ms PRO), its form factor is different, so devices older than the psp didn't support the ms Duo, which was redeemed by adapters and by including a slot for it in newer devices. Did it all happen just when it was released? I doubt that. The Vita ms won't be much different: eventually, we'll be getting ways to have them on other devices, and most likely, newer devices will have native support.

It's a matter of time, just like the psp. Have patience, people.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I wouldn't know.
I paid the fee for a MSD and never took it out of my PSP, and quickly forgot about the price as I enjoyed my handheld instead of bitching about the cost.

Honestly, I work at minimum wage and I don't even see this as expensive. You buy a decent sized one and never again have to buy another. It's not that expensive.

And store data that you don't currently need on a ext. HDD threw your pc. Just Like I do with my psp and it's 4gb card.

D

Deleted User

What a load of utter shit-spoutingly bad bullshit, Sony.

That memory card format is NOT going to do squat about piracy for a bunch of reasons I can't be bothered to list.

And, why the high price?

KidIce

Smart Ass
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I own two, and as I stated I came late to the PSP party because of the prices of MS back before I found cheaper alternatives.

Hey, Sony, wasn't the UMD format supposed to prevent piracy as well? o.O

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I own two, and as I stated I came late to the PSP party because of the prices of MS back before I found cheaper alternatives.

Hey, Sony, wasn't the UMD format supposed to prevent piracy as well? o.O

the universal media disk which aren't really universal at all

yea supposedly they were for that purpose

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
I have to disagree with the two of you. I was too lazy to do any searching, but I doubt that it was "available via multiple companies" at launch.
What the PSP uses is Memory Stick Duo (not the original one), which is a different form-factor, and came later, so the initial version isn't really the concern here.

Why would sony ever release them under their brand name, if other companies simultaneously offered them cheaper? It doesn't make sense. the new ms is bound to get some cheaper ones from other companies afterwards, just like the psp ones did.
People like variety and getting things cheaper, and if something is bought from another company that licensed the design/technology, Sony still gets a cut of that profit.

s4mid4re

Trophies
Website
v4.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I have to disagree with the two of you. I was too lazy to do any searching, but I doubt that it was "available via multiple companies" at launch.
What the PSP uses is Memory Stick Duo (not the original one), which is a different form-factor, and came later, so the initial version isn't really the concern here. I don't think you got my point here. Yes, the psp uses the ms Duo, but the ms Duo has a different form factor than the ms Pro. That means that older devices that uses ms Pro weren't compatible with the new ms Duo. Your point is that "MS was used in cameras and laptops and shit" which is not absolutely true because older devices didn't support them, until adapters were released. The new ms is also probably going to have adapters and newer devices will have native support. It's just a matter of time that adapters will be around, just like what happened for ms Pro.

Why would sony ever release them under their brand name, if other companies simultaneously offered them cheaper? It doesn't make sense. the new ms is bound to get some cheaper ones from other companies afterwards, just like the psp ones did.
People like variety and getting things cheaper, and if something is bought from another company that licensed the design/technology, Sony still gets a cut of that profit. That still doesn't make sense. Why would a corporation want "a cut of that profit" when they could've just released it independently, and have the whole profit? Also, that doesn't prove that the other companies' ms were available at launch.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Cameras on newegg that support variations of the Memory Stick standard. My point being a difference between MS and this new card is that MS works in other things, where this new card doesn't appear to (or if it does, they haven't announced it yet). The concern isn't adapters, but a legit reason for public acceptance of the cards (not ability to read/write them).

Companies license technology all the time this is nowhere near a new concept. Some of the most common things you're familiar with (HDMI for example, though the cost is likely to have changed) are things that companies have to pay royalties in order to include in their products. If a company licenses a technology out and other companies start using it, then it's more likely to gain acceptance with the public since more products support it, and that means more products using that technology (and the parent company likes this since it means they get a (small) cut of everything, with some products like HDMI this can really add up). And not to mention that multiple companies producing a type of card, a hell of a lot more can be made than just one company producing it, which helps more towards public adoption if there's a large supply.

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country

Pretty much this.
I have to disagree with the two of you. I was too lazy to do any searching, but I doubt that it was "available via multiple companies" at launch. Why would sony ever release them under their brand name, if other companies simultaneously offered them cheaper? It doesn't make sense. the new ms is bound to get some cheaper ones from other companies afterwards, just like the psp ones did.

And just in case you didn't know, "The Memory Stick Duo was developed in response to Sony's need for a smaller flash memory card for pocket-sized digital cameras, cell phones and the PlayStation Portable" (source). Compared to it's preceder (the ms PRO), its form factor is different, so devices older than the psp didn't support the ms Duo, which was redeemed by adapters and by including a slot for it in newer devices. Did it all happen just when it was released? I doubt that. The Vita ms won't be much different: eventually, we'll be getting ways to have them on other devices, and most likely, newer devices will have native support.

It's a matter of time, just like the psp. Have patience, people.

My Sony Ericsson K750i is older than the PSP(AFAIK) and it uses the same MS pro Duo. In fact, I sometimes interchange the MSPDs of my PSP and my old cellphone.

Topic: I was looking forward to owning a Vita for Portable Media but meh, I'd wait for the next iteration of the model.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"