PS Vita Facts

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Lurker2, Oct 20, 2012.

Oct 20, 2012

PS Vita Facts by Lurker2 at 12:48 AM (3,968 Views / 4 Likes) 94 Comments

soulx #eattherude

Message Count:
    Ashmore and Cartier Islands
    ...Who the hell is rationalizing the 3DS's price at launch? Please do tell because I know I didn't say anything along the lines of that in my posts.

I say that the Vita isn't selling because consumers don't want a device that costs $250 and has a paltry game library and you bring up the 3DS? Really?

RodrigoDavy AAAHHHHRRRRRRRR!

Message Count:
    Brazil
    Well, to be fair no one obligated Sony to design such an expensive hardware, if the price is high it is their fault for bad planning...

RodrigoDavy AAAHHHHRRRRRRRR!

Message Count:
    Brazil
    http://gbatemp.net/topic/299756-a-reminder-about-respect/
    3 people like this.

trumpet-205 Embrace the darkness within

Message Count:
    United States
    I wouldn't say it is justified due to hardware. We already know that it cost around $160 to produce a 3G Vita (probably even less, given we are talking about mass produced goods). Even when you consider R&D, packaging, shipping, etc Sony is making a lot of profit on Vita (especially a big profit margin from Vita memory). Do note that ARM processor used it Vita actually only cost around $20.
    • Reporter

Foxi4 Gravity is for weaklings.

Message Count:
    Poland
    Source or it's just your conjuncture.

From what I've read, the profit margin of the Vita per-unit is incredibly small. As you mentioned, $160 are raw production costs - you need to add packaging, shipping, years of R&D, storage, marketing, wages for the factory workers, wages for the people employed in the department and so-on and so-forth.

J-Machine Self proclaimed Pog champion

Message Count:
    Canada
    I won't lie. the vita is an attractive system and I do believe the cost of it is justifiable. My main concerns currently are that:

1. I buy my games first and once I have at least 4 I start looking for the system. right now I'm only interested in two games (persona 4 and zero escape) but since I have a 3ds and own p4 on ps2 already I'm not going out of my way to get them. If anyone knows of good upcoming exclusives in both the many forms of jrpg's or action adventure let me know and I'll look it up.

2. a lot of retail games need a memory card to save despite them being made on flash based media. this is more of a nitpick and becomes moot as I would be buying a bundle that has one in it.

3. I'm still content with the game library and graphical abilities of the psp.

4. I'm currently getting out of college debt so I'm not at liberty to feel good about getting a second current gen handheld despite technically being able to afford it.(I only got the 3ds cause it was $120 with a free game and figured that's as cheap as it will be for a while) 'm also only buying games for around $20 or under or borrowing from friends

tldr: I'd like one but I dunno what games I'd like on it so far nor would feel comfortable making a purchase for about a year from now. it is a luxury after all.
    • Reporter

Foxi4 Gravity is for weaklings.

Message Count:
    Poland
    Right, the last three pages have been bawbawbawing between soulx and JAG with very little substance in-between.

Thread reported for clean-up, and you're both equally at fault. Can't we just get along?
    3 people like this.
    • Former Staff

Vulpes Abnocto Plays favorites

Message Count:
    United States
    Would you kindly find the topic and quit insulting each other? Nobody wants to read your bickering.
    1 people like this.

duffmmann New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Vita is what it is. its doing poor, but hey, the 3DS did poor at first too. I'm gonna give it some more time before I truly consider it a failure. But as it is, I don't think things are looking very up.

Its a powerful machine, no doubt about that, but power alone doesn't make a handheld great, games do. And just like the DS vs the PSP, while the DS was less powerful it had the greater appeal and the larger abundance of great games (which isn't to say the PSP didn't have its own great games, it had plenty), which is why it ultimately sold more than the PSP.

Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Message Count:
    Australia
    Its weird but wasn't it that the PSP did better once it was fully hacked and you can run emulators and stuff on it?

I mean looking at the Vita now, I hope it finally gets real CFW just so it can play all PSX and PSP games on it cause Sony really didn't put that extra effort in to make sure it was really backwards compatible.

gamefan5 Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur

Message Count:
    Canada
    Well I'm waiting the console to pick up steam. Perhaps it will. Perhaps it will not. If it doesn't, well that's life I guess. Some consoles were just never meant to be.

Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Message Count:
    Australia
    I'm sure it will. Cause didn't the PSP and PS3 start of pretty bad but things picked up for it later on in its life.

heartgold New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Facts thread. :D

Here's one, Vita's worldwide sales are trending behind japan only dreamcast. Vita is fucked. It's no fanboy to say vita sales sucks.It's a fact and Sony needs to shift that gear.

weavile001 Spiritmaster

Message Count:
    Brazil
    dont think that vita is a bad console,so far , the games that i bought are very good: Rayman origins,ultimate marvel vs. capcom 3 and uncharted G.abyss.
    • Banned

Lurker2 Banned!

Message Count:
    United States
    They also don't own all the patents for parts in the machine so that adds to it.
    • They buy it wholesale so it may be quite a bit lower then $160
    • Distributing said item
    • Server costs
    • Manuals and packaging of the item
    • Warranty and item failures
    • Patent rights and possible licensing fees in certain regions
    • Research and Development costs
    • Profit for the retailer selling it
    • Wages for programmers, engineers and customer support
    • Costs to build parts said parts and general manufacturing costs.
    Their previous marketing campaign cost $50 Million.
    Rasas likes this.