PS Vita Facts

Discussion in 'PS Vita - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Lurker2, Oct 20, 2012.

Oct 20, 2012

PS Vita Facts by Lurker2 at 12:48 AM (4,059 Views / 4 Likes) 94 Comments

• Banned

Lurker2 Banned!

Message Count:
    United States
    Alright there seems to be a lot of discussions about the PS Vita and I think someone should list the facts about the system. Don't start a(n) argument just list facts that should help people understand the situation
    Summary from Mars-x Italic parts added by me
    • Game developers are making games for 3DS and PSP because of poor Vita sales
    • PSP has sold twice the amount Vita has within the same time frame
    • Vita is likely to be selling for a loss, it has to sell more than the PSP to make a profit according to Kaz Hirai
    • This could take up to three years according to Kaz Hirai and for that reason a price drop seems unlikely but rumored for 2013
    • They tried a similar tactic with the PS3 and that has caused a $2.4 billion loss
    The previous marketing campaign cost $50 million
    • Poor marketing and exclusives are not too great, Vita's library is also poor and full of ports
    • High price to develop for it may dissuade developers
    • Sony have closed several of their studios that released Vita games
    • At launch, Vita didn't have some features the PSP had, like PS1 games support
    • Vita uses a new proprietary format for memory expansion, users dislike the idea
    PS+ and Crossbuy may help sales but difficulties with multiple accounts might do their toll
    • Battery life is not too great on the Vita, apps are a huge drain on 3G data plan
    • Playstation Mobile does not allow developers to use the full system features
    • Crossplay and Remote Play features haven't been used effectively
    • Vita is competing with the PSP, 3DS and the Smartphone market
    WARNING! Spoilers inside!

Yepi69 GBATemp Pokemon, EarthBound, Mother3 Proud Fan Boy

Message Count:
    Portugal
    Sony never came up with something original, in my opinion i prefer the 3DS over the PS Vita, it doesn't have 3G but so what? It has got SpotPass which is kinda the same thing, also the library of games for the 3DS are awesome :D

Fear Zoa This... This is the world we live in

Message Count:
    United States
    It appears that some of your text is actually black rather then automatic, which sucks for the few of us that use dark theme. If you could go ahead and change all of the text to automatic that would be great :)

As for the actual topic at hand I don't really know if the psvita will fail, I know its not doing well and I know sony has a lot of work to do to fix that. That being said they should be fully capable of getting things on the right track.

shoyrumaster11 GBATemps YouTuber friend!

Message Count:
    Australia
    Well, at least with the price drop, i'll be able to upgrade from the 3DS to the Vita quicker! But I don't like Sony if they are becoming Nintendo hacks!

Icealote My Winter...

Message Count:
    Australia
    That was very painful to read that wall of text.

Sad news but I'd still want to get a Vita.
  1. war2thegrave
    This message by war2thegrave has been removed from public view by a moderator, Sep 22, 2014.
    Oct 20, 2012

Pingouin7 disgrace to famiry

Message Count:
    Canada
    China called, they wanted their wall back.

I take you don't know what 3G is.
    10 people like this.

emigre Putting out the fire with gasoline

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Y'know how the Vita needs games? The OP needs English writing skills.
    6 people like this.
    • Banned

Valwin The Neautral Gamer

Message Count:
    United States
    Op tells it how it is nice one
    1 people like this.

emigre Putting out the fire with gasoline

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Only Valwin could read engrish that bad and survive.
    12 people like this.

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Message Count:
    Japan
    [IMG]
    5 people like this.

Janthran Solarian

Message Count:
    United States
    "The problem isn't that there are no games, just that there is a lack of games"
    I'm confused.
    3 people like this.
    • Banned

dickfour Banned!

Message Count:
    United States
    I'd have a Vita by now if they didn't have a shitty proprietary memory card. I outraged at he thought of forking over double the cost of a microSD
    1 people like this.

Janthran Solarian

Message Count:
    United States
    You can get an adapter, no?
    • Banned

Lurker2 Banned!

Message Count:
    United States
    There isn't one for this format. There are sales for the memory card but it still isn't to good.
    Rasas likes this.
    • Global Moderator

Bortz Tony Stark's pet spider

Message Count:
    United States
    TEXT WALLLL
    Digga da digga da dig ddig dig
    TEXT WALLLLLLLL

Point is. Vita has shitty sales cause the games and price are aimed at bro gamers and McGuildylocks. The memory card was a ploy to make money but its a poor one. If you wanna make monays you gotta be innovative and pander to the public.

Cell phones are taking a chunk but not tons. Thats why no ones come out with a new console/handheld every year lol everyone has a cell phone, not everyone has a video game platform.

TL;DR So does your novel come in paperback?
    6 people like this.
    • Banned

Lurker2 Banned!

Message Count:
    United States
    I honestly should of made it shorter and worded it better. Basically in Japan the PSP sells well, unlikely localization of JP games, PSP outselling Vita 2:1, Vita losses money on each console sold, Lack of Marketing, lack of third party support, crossbuy, crossplay, some bad exclusives(resistance), lack of upcoming games 2013 (Killzone & Soul Sacrifice), implementation of minigame like sequences, high development costs, Sony closing some studios, Nihilistic Software focus on digital, PS1 support, lack of tv out option, multiple accounts and transferring data difficulty, new memory card format due to "security", Passport Program only Japan, PS+ support, Skype and various other Apps are a huge drain on a 3G data plan, battery life not to great, multitasking problems with web & gaming, Playstation Mobile, hacks, a carrot and stick firmware approach and Remote Play.
    Kaz Hirai say Vita will make a profit in three years, The PS3 tried to use a similar tactic of selling hardware for a loss but profit on Software & Accessories sa;es but the gaming division has lost $2.4 Billion since the release of the PS3.
    Rasas likes this.

Just Another Gamer 星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy

Message Count:
    Australia
    I didn't read it but I think I get the point.

The Vita needs games and thats the reason why its not selling very well. If you expect a game console without little to no games to sell well then you are just plain stupid and need some help understand simple facts.

DragorianSword GBAtemp's #1 Gunter

Message Count:
    Belgium
    They should advertise it more. A lot of people I know who have a psp or ps3 and love sony products but don't even seem to know about the psvita.
    We only had one television add about it here and it showed just a quick shot of the psvita system.
    You could easilly mistake it for just a normal psp.

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

Message Count:
    United States
    LET THE CIRCLEWANK COMMENCE.

This is a promising thread. By probably the next page it'll be a "Let's masturbate to poor Vita sales" and "Let's burn the Vita in effigy". By the fourth page it'll turn into some spat. By the fifth page it'll be closed.

EDIT: By the way we know the Vita is doing bad, we know why it's doing bad, we don't need ANOTHER thread dedicated to why and how it's doing badly. All these threads are is just a cheaply built soapbox for people who get raging hardons at the thought of poor Vita sales to go "THE VITA SUX HURRAH!" instead of actually trying to, you know, be positive for once. I enjoy the Vita, I know it's doing badly, but I hope for the best because it's a great console with a lot of promise. Why anyone would be so gleeful at its downfall is beyond me. Even if you hate Sony and love Nintendo, a monopoly is horrible. Competition breeds success. Everyone should wish the Vita does better. On the 3DS side, a competitively selling Vita means Nintendo has to up their game. Make better titles, improve their system, stuff like that. On the Sony side, obviously a better selling Vita means the same thing.

But yeah, it just completely puzzles me why people actually love taking shots at the Vita instead of saying "It's not doing well, let's hope it does better."
    6 people like this.

Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Paragraphs.

They're nice things.
    5 people like this.

SPONSORED LINKS