Hacking PS Vita CFW for PSP emulation ETA

larazonclara

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Hi, I apologize in advance as I'm sure there are a multitude of topics in the similar vain but I didn't find any with my exact question.

I bought a Vita launch day, and in summary, I've been very disappointed. Why I'm disappointed is a whole other topic in itself, but what's important is that I am strongly considering selling it. I have been playing my PSP with CFW way more and because I absolutely refuse to rebuy my games on the PSN store, my Vita is getting dust. If my Vita were hacked to the point where I could upload my own PSP isos, I would be ecstatic and would keep it, but I've been waiting to no avail, all while the price of used Vitas drop ridiculously (just saw a few go for 180 dollars on ebay...)

My question is, how long do you guys think it will take til we are able to upload PSP isos and play them on our Vita? I don't give a damn about Vita isos, I solely want to be able to play my PSP isos. If there are rumors that this will be happening in say, the next two months, I would be willing to take the risk of used Vitas pummeling further and wait, but if this is going to be a year in the making, I think I need to sell it and get as much as I can...

Thanks in advance, and again, I apologize if this has been discussed in another topic.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
-.- *sigh* how long do YOU think it could take? We aren't insiders we don't have contact with Wololo or anyone else? Pissed? Fine, sell it we don't give a shit.

the world is hard I know, but these topics make me pissed. IF THERE IS PROGRESS WE REPORT IT. BE FREAKING PATIENT, it might even TAKE a freaking decade to hack THIS console. The console has been out for how many months: 3, 4?

Also people like you SLOWER the hacking releases since hackers give a shit about these posts.

Reactions: 2 people

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If you've been following Vita hacking, I'm sure you know about VHBL, which relies on you a) not updated your firmware, and b) owning specific PSP games previous to the hack being released (as Sony has already patched them). I don't know if they support PSP isos (probably not) but that's the closest thing to running anything unsigned on a Vita right now.

As for an ETA, it's hard to say, but it will be at least another few years before we see widely accessible homebrew on the Vita. Isos will be a bit longer than that.

If you own a PSP, that's your best bet right now.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
As of today, by means of VHBL, we have access to User Mode of the PSP kernel, which means that some homebrew can be launched no problem on the Vita. There's already rumoured access to Kernel Mode, courtesy of the Davee, which is essential in ISO launching, but nobody expects him to release the exploit as he does not support piracy and knows all-too-well that such access automatically leads to it.

All in all, today we know that it "can be done", however nobody can give you an exact date as it's simply a work-in-progress. I think it will take another year to see PSP ISO's running on the machine, two or more to see Vita ISO's.

Everything depends on whether or not hackers will have easy access to the Vita Development Kit - SKFU started a fund raiser to buy one of those and share it among the most prominent developers in the field. You can always donate, every dollar counts.

larazonclara

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
-.- *sigh* how long do YOU think it could take? We aren't insiders we don't have contact with Wololo or anyone else? Pissed? Fine, sell it we don't give a shit.

the world is hard I know, but these topics make me pissed. IF THERE IS PROGRESS WE REPORT IT. BE FREAKING PATIENT, it might even TAKE a freaking decade to hack THIS console. The console has been out for how many months: 3, 4?

Also people like you SLOWER the hacking releases since hackers give a shit about these posts.

You're the only one pissed in this thread, dude. Take a chill pill, go out for a walk, relax...life's too short to get worked up over internet posts.

Thanks Thaddius and Foxi4, that's the answer I was looking for. I haven't looked into homebrew in many years as I hacked my PSP back in 2008 or so for SNES emulation so I apologize for my ignorance. I think I'll end up selling my Vita now and rebuying it once this has all been sorted. Thanks again!

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Thanks Thaddius and Foxi4, that's the answer I was looking for. I haven't looked into homebrew in many years as I hacked my PSP back in 2008 or so for SNES emulation so I apologize for my ignorance. I think I'll end up selling my Vita now and rebuying it once this has all been sorted. Thanks again!
You're welcome, but honestly, that's the worst thing you could do in this situation.

You should pack up your Vita and store it rather than sell it. Why? If there will be a proper Kernel Mode exploit coming up and Sony sends out an Update, you're in the s*hit as a newly-bought Vita is likely to be incompatible with the exploit anymore. Sony's on-top of those things and updates periodically, making things rather difficult for hackers and homebrewers alike. It's ill-advised to sell the console, at least in my opinion.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
I bought a Vita launch day, and in summary, I've been very disappointed. Why I'm disappointed is a whole other topic in itself, but what's important is that I am strongly considering selling it. I have been playing my PSP with CFW way more and because I absolutely refuse to rebuy my games on the PSN store, my Vita is getting dust.

Why do you refuse to buy games on the PSN store? Surely you could trade in your UMD's for credit and buy the best games of the lot....that is presuming you have UMD's. It seems that it was ill considered buying a Vita if you didn't want to do anything but play PSP games...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Why do you refuse to buy games on the PSN store? Surely you could trade in your UMD's for credit and buy the best games of the lot....that is presuming you have UMD's. It seems that it was ill considered buying a Vita if you didn't want to do anything but play PSP games...
As a PSP user, you more than anyone should know how painful the Analog Stick is on the PSP and how glorious the Vita screen is. Some people buy a Vita purely because of the enhanced control scheme and the wonderful screen, but then they crash againts the wall as they realize that their games won't work on the system unless they're in PSN-Download form... that, or they want to launch pirated copies. :P

spotanjo3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xist, you forgot something. Some people dont have money to buy the games. Some people refused to pay the games and want to download it for free. Some people are too poor to buy the games and only have the consoles/portables to download the free games. Thanks to who ? The hackers.. They are the reason that people want to play for free. Blaming the hackers, not people. Without the hackers, people will have to buy the games and the companies will have more profits.

larazonclara

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
You're welcome, but honestly, that's the worst thing you could do in this situation.

You should pack up your Vita and store it rather than sell it. Why? If there will be a proper Kernel Mode exploit coming up and Sony sends out an Update, you're in the s*hit as a newly-bought Vita is likely to be incompatible with the exploit anymore. Sony's on-top of those things and updates periodically, making things rather difficult for hackers and homebrewers alike. It's ill-advised to sell the console, at least in my opinion.

I didn't think of it that way, and I thank you for bringing that point up. It is definitely something I have to further consider
I bought a Vita launch day, and in summary, I've been very disappointed. Why I'm disappointed is a whole other topic in itself, but what's important is that I am strongly considering selling it. I have been playing my PSP with CFW way more and because I absolutely refuse to rebuy my games on the PSN store, my Vita is getting dust.

I understand your point but I bought the Vita under the assumption that Sony had a program in place to transfer my UMDs to their digital formats. As you know, that didn't go through in the end. I know some people do not mind selling their physical products and putting it towards buying digital, but I'm old-fashioned in the sense that I like having my games on display. You're right though, buying the Vita with this mentality was a bad decision but surely you can understand why I put faith in Sony (stupidly perhaps...).

As a PSP user, you more than anyone should know how painful the Analog Stick is on the PSP and how glorious the Vita screen is. Some people buy a Vita purely because of the enhanced control scheme and the wonderful screen, but then they crash againts the wall as they realize that their games won't work on the system unless they're in PSN-Download form... that, or they want to launch pirated copies. :P

I fall under this catagory entirely :(

I feel the need to emphasize that I do NOT care about pirating games (especially Vita games). I own and highly enjoy Hot Shots Golf and Gravity Rush. I have no problem paying for games I love. The problem is rebuying games I bought years ago and paying almost what I paid back then for a digital license...

Ryupower

Brood
Trophies
Website
techmantis.net
XP
Country
United States
just play your PSP games on your PSP( most if not all PSP can run CFW of some kind)

and if you want to play a PSP game on your vita(and it is on the PSN), JUST BUY IT

there may NEVER be a public release, of a full PSP mode hack for the vita

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
xist, you forgot something. Some people dont have money to buy the games. Some people refused to pay the games and want to download it for free. Some people are too poor to buy the games and only have the consoles/portables to download the free games. Thanks to who ? The hackers.. They are the reason that people want to play for free. Blaming the hackers, not people. Without the hackers, people will have to buy the games and the companies will have more profits.
Uhh... no. This discussion is entirely off-topic, but just so you know, it's been proven time and time again that "hackers" and their activity increases hardware sales substantialy. It's not the hackers that commit felonies, it's people who use the exploits released to use illegal content - there's a huge difference. As a person who programs homebrew applications I find your statement insulting.

EDIT: Just to explain as to "why", your entire point gravitates around the idea of people who cannot afford to buy games. Well, if they cannot afford that, why would they suddenly start once the console is unhackable? This is silly by definition, if they can't afford it, they won't buy. The only final result you are going to reach is that those people who cannot afford to buy games for a given console and cannot use pirated copies will simply not buy it and instead choose a console on which they can launch illegal backups. The only thing that happens is that those people don't buy your console, and that is actually a worse scenario than the one in which they use pirated copies.

What companies should really focus on is enticing the user to buy their game by means of affordable and good DLC and other quality content that is unavailable for the pirated copy in any way. That, and they should sell their games at a price point that is within reach of the average user. The sooner you realize that "Pirates gonna Pirate" the better for you.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
The simple fact of that matter is that being in a position to buy a system but then not afford or want the games doesn't provide any justification for it to be hacked. Sony never had any concrete UMD exchange plans in place for the Vita (which was established prior to the Western launch) and even if they did you'd end up without any games on the shelf.

Far better to buy a couple of cast iron classic PSP games than let a system die on you.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The simple fact of that matter is that being in a position to buy a system but then not afford or want the games doesn't provide any justification for it to be hacked. Sony never had any concrete UMD exchange plans in place for the Vita (which was established prior to the Western launch) and even if they did you'd end up without any games on the shelf.

Far better to buy a couple of cast iron classic PSP games than let a system die on you.
My take on the issue is "Play PSP games on a PSP, play Vita games on a Vita". I'm a huge naysayer when it comes to Downloadable games as I simply like Physical Mediums - once you have a given game, there's really no reason to re-purchase it. UMD's, as nasty as they are, are still something that you can put on your Games Shelf just to look nice - they have more value to me than a digital copy of the game. That said, if you don't have a physical copy of a given game and don't particularily care for it, there's nothing stopping you from buying it off PSN, really.

larazonclara

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan

I don't think you understood my point. My issue isn't with buying or affording games. It's rebuying games and/or selling them off towards digital licenses. I understand most people don't have an issue with this, but I do. I don't understand what you mean by I would end up not having any games on the shelf? It isn't like I would be mailing my UMDs to Sony...I simply would be granted a digital license for content I bought.

To put out an example, Corpse Party is one of my favorite games on the PSP, and I had no problem buying it digitally because I had no other choice. There was never a physical release outside of Japan. However, if I had Corpse Party on UMD and was asked to pay the same price again just to play it on my Vita, there is something very crooked about that. I don't think I'm entirely crazy to think that.

Reactions: 1 person

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
My take on the issue is "Play PSP games on a PSP, play Vita games on a Vita". I'm a huge naysayer when it comes to Downloadable games as I simply like Physical Mediums - once you have a given game, there's really no reason to re-purchase it. UMD's, as nasty as they are, are still something that you can put on your Games Shelf just to look nice - they have more value to me than a digital copy of the game. That said, if you don't have a physical copy of a given game and don't particularily care for it, there's nothing stopping you from buying it off PSN, really.

I'm a physical only gamer since my internet connection isn't good enough to readily support large downloads..if something is download only and over about 500MB it's out of my range, making the vast majority of content beyond me (a good thing my main system is a PS2). However, of the PSP games i've owned, i've never felt that attached to that many of them, perhaps because only a very few felt like "keepers". In fact i can't think of any i'd particularly want to show off....In that sense having access to games via the PSN seems like a good thing as they don't require you to store them on your own HDD nor do they take up space in your home. And i'd have no issue re-buying a game in one of the frequent PSN sales if i enjoyed it that much....surely something that you've really enjoyed is worth supporting the dev's/publishers?

I don't think you understood my point. My issue isn't with buying or affording games. It's rebuying games and/or selling them off towards digital licenses.

The exchange program was scrapped PRIOR to launch. You buying a Vita could only happen once this had been readily established...

jalaneme

Female Gamer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
with the price of vita memory cards beyond extortinate and the auto updates from sony to block any sort of homebrew i would just sell the vita and get a psp if you just want to play psp games, the vita is not worth it atm

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm a physical only gamer since my internet connection isn't good enough to readily support large downloads..if something is download only and over about 500MB it's out of my range, making the vast majority of content beyond me (a good thing my main system is a PS2). However, of the PSP games i've owned, i've never felt that attached to that many of them, perhaps because only a very few felt like "keepers". In fact i can't think of any i'd particularly want to show off....In that sense having access to games via the PSN seems like a good thing as they don't require you to store them on your own HDD nor do they take up space in your home. And i'd have no issue re-buying a game in one of the frequent PSN sales if i enjoyed it that much....surely something that you've really enjoyed is worth supporting the dev's/publishers?
Oh, nobody says that you have to keep the games you don't feel "attached" to. My point is, if you like a game and have it on UMD - keep it. If you don't, why rebuy it? Just sell the damn thing in a pawn shop and get on with your life. :P

My biggest point againts PSN downloads is not downloading games - if you don't "feel" the need to have a given game in a physical form, that's great, but when we're crossing the "buy content that you already bought" territory, this is a big "no-no" for me. I have the game on UMD and I don't feel compelled to re-purchase it simply to play it on a different platform, but then again, that's just my personal opinion. :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: hmm