Hacking PS Vita 1000 has 2GB Internal storage!!

Abu_Senpai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
TheFlow posted this a few hours back

"Did you know that the PS Vita 1000 has got 2.5GB INTERNAL MEMORY at ur0 that you can make use of? This partition is 1.5GB for the slim."

Source:https://mobile.twitter.com/theflow0/status/789732781580582912?p=v

I mean i personally have a Vita 1000 and from what ive learnt after a bit of research is that you can use this extra 2.5GB of space for:

Backing up saves
Installing or moving all your RetroArch games so Gba/Ps1 titles etc...
You can save images here as well as .MP3 files

What you CANT use it for at the moment is to install vita games. If we could it would very well be awesome but i dont see that happening due to there being two seperate partitions but i aint no programmer so i dont now.

Could anyone tell me the reason as to why the vita 1000 and 2000s even have this extra space?

and more importantly why does the vita 1000 have more than the slim?

Last edited by Abu_Senpai,

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Could anyone answer the reason as to why the vita 1000 and 2000s even have this extra space?

and more importantly why does the vita 1000 have more than the slim?
They have the same amount of internal storage, the difference is in how they're partitioned. The Slim and TV have 1GB of that as internal storage that's readily accessible without Henkaku.

Abu_Senpai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
They have the same amount of internal storage, the difference is in how they're partitioned. The Slim and TV have 1GB of that as internal storage that's readily accessible without Henkaku.

Ahhh okay so i couldnt possibly use the extra memory without henkaku. Intresting

Why does such memory even exist in the first place and why diddnt sony include internal memory on the vita 1000 in the 1st place

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ahhh okay so i couldnt possibly use the extra memory without henkaku. Intresting

Why does such memory even exist in the first place and why diddnt sony include internal memory on the vita 1000 in the 1st place
I read it was used for updates when you don't have a memory card, but you'd need somebody else to confirm that.

Reactions: Abu_Senpai

Abu_Senpai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
I read it was used for updates when you don't have a memory card, but you'd need somebody else to confirm that.

Wow that actually makes quite a bit of sense. I mean where else could those updates go exculding our memory cards ofcourse.

Thanks for that information.

haojiezhu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What you CANT use it for at the moment is to install vita games. If we could it would very well be awesome but i dont see that happening due to there being two seperate partitions but i aint no programmer so i dont now.

I posted this on reddit:

Yes, ur0 has about 1.5GB free space on Vita slim & Vita TV and this partition is part of NAND. You can see that in the latest VitaShell. Because it's part of NAND, the stuff you put there will always be there no matter what memory card you use. Unlike internal storage, it won't be blocked when you insert a memory card.

Tried to move an installed game ("Mutant Mudds Deluxe" in this case) from urx:/app to ur0:/app and edited launch paths in "ur0/shell/db/app.db". Game launches fine but got stuck at "Cannot create save" error. Games are probably hardcoded to use current partition for save files and OS won't let them create saves files on ur0.

Last edited by haojiezhu,

Abu_Senpai

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Syria
how exactly did this take so long to get discovered? very odd

lol i feel so dumb for not noticing the 14.1mb/2.5GB used on my vitashell lol

I dont think theflow knew about it either uptill now. Or maybe he did and just wanted us to find it

I posted this on reddit:

Yes, ur0 has about 1.5GB free space on Vita slim & Vita TV and this partition is part of NAND. You can see that in the latest VitaShell. Because it's part of NAND, the stuff you put there will always be there no matter what memory card you use. Unlike internal storage, it won't be blocked when you insert a memory card.

You can actually move installed games/apps to ur0 partition. You just need to edit the paths of moved games/apps in "ur0:/shell/db/app.db".

https://s22.postimg.org/69v9bc3u9/SQL.jpg

im having a hard time believeing you so ill let someone else mess around with their app.db before i try this out. Its nothing personal but you cant expect one to trust a stranger on the net especially with the crap that some idiots pulled off with virus like .vpks a while back

Last edited by Abu_Senpai,

haojiezhu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im having a hard time believeing you so ill let someone else mess around with their app.db before i try this out. Its nothing personal but you cant expect one to trust a stranger on the net especially with the crap that some idiots pulled off with virus like .vpks a while back

I actually tried. Game launches fine but can't create save files. So we can only use ur0 for homebrew and file storage right now.

app.db editing is fairly basic stuff, like PSTV V2 whitelist. Of course, you always create a backup first before editing it. You still need to edit app.db if you try to move RetroArch to ur0.

Ganoncrotch

Trophies
XP
Country
If this is used for the System NAND it probably is best to not just fill it with GBA roms I would say? Unless you're reallly jonesing for a game of Golden Sun or so!

haojiezhu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this is used for the System NAND it probably is best to not just fill it with GBA roms I would say? Unless you're reallly jonesing for a game of Golden Sun or so!
Yeah, OS needs to use this partition. For instance, ur0:/appmeta stores meta data (icon, live area data, etc.) of all games/apps you installed. It will grow if you install more games/apps in the future. It's a good idea to leave some free space there.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'll just pretend like I know what's going on