Votes: 5 18.5%

• Total voters

BurningDesire

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Edit: More of a brainstorm than proof of concept.

Here we have a brainstorm i've been wanting to become a reality for a very long time. It is a IDE for making 3DS homebrew. Now - the difference between a SDK (software development kit) and a IDE is

. An SDK usually only includes the necessary building blocks for developing applications. This includes frameworks, libraries, header files, whatever as well as compilers, debuggers, and various other tools, such as profilers, etc. (which we have with ctrulib and editors such as netbeans and sublime text.)

.An IDE simply makes access to those more user-friendly (or integrated, hence the name), if you will. However, Eclipse for example comes with its own compiler as well. (which we don't have.)

Why I would like us to get together to make a IDE is so we can all have a easy unified way to develop ads homebrew.

Features

cross platform (Windows, Linux, OS X)
3DSX build compatibility
Conversion compatibility 3DSX to .cia (or something like that)
Build directly to citra (like how Xcode does with its build - open right up into a iPhone simulator no hassle.)
Theme creation ability.
Simple, pretty and easy to use
The ability to publish directly to apps like DownloadMii
Will be open source
Ninjhax buddy app for Testfligt - easy to test homebrew (will be cia to)

Release

As of now this is just abrainst there is no release date yet.

Demo

I will design the Mockup gui's and the final based on what GBATEMP wants.

The image below is mockup
Blue bar: Loading bar for when compiling takes to long
The to buttons: one for building one for running in city
Left: File organization
Right: Open to imagination

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-24 at 2.32.06 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-24 at 2.32.06 PM.png
    23.9 KB · Views: 804
Last edited by BurningDesire,

sup3rgh0st

Top Tier Ghost
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would be great! Now if only there would be a way to combine this with a modification of FTPony that booted incoming 3dsx files automatically... Then development would be easy as it is on Android.

BurningDesire

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This would be great! Now if only there would be a way to combine this with a modification of FTPony that booted incoming 3dsx files automatically... Then development would be easy as it is on Android.
I actually prefer FTPBrony. If anything it should be with that. The reason why i am saying this is proof of concept is I can not do this be my self I will need lots of help from lots of smart people who know objective C and C++ as well as java for this to even be consider a possibility. Which is why I posted the idea on here!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
I think that you should look into creating a plugin for an already made IDE, creating an IDE from scratch will get you nowhere
I agree with you that it would be better in the end to make a plugin for an existing IDE, it would take incredible effort to make something from scratch that's on the same level as modern IDEs.

BurningDesire

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree with you that it would be better in the end to make a plugin for an existing IDE, it would take incredible effort to make something from scratch that's on the same level as modern IDEs.
Yeah but if we do that it would be something some buddy else want not what we the homebrew community want. I want this to be a group effort based off of community feed back for a clean simple sexy IDE for not only 3ds development but why not Wii homebrew development or even PSP/Vita homebrew. Lets make this GBATEMPS IDE!

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yeah but if we do that it would be something some buddy else want not what we the homebrew community want. I want this to be a group effort based off of community feed back for a clean simple sexy IDE for not only 3ds development but why not Wii homebrew development or even PSP/Vita homebrew. Lets make this GBATEMPS IDE!
I like the idea, but I still think the community would be happier with a plugin.

capz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
just hook up devkitarm to dev-cpp or code::blocks and you're done. :/ those are IDEs made for plugging different toolchains into and they are mature. Reinventing the wheel is never a good thing. KISS is always a good programming tip; Keep it simple, stupid. There is a good reason almost all sdks plug into an existing IDE.

why not focus on making a solution that will provide the things that aren't trivial yet? (build and launch can be done from the makefile)

downloadmii is dead and theme creation tools are starting to pop up now. Both seem rather outside of the scope of an IDE to me. (buggy and no longer developed)

this testflight/buddy app seems more interesting to develop. All you need then is to hook your build setup into that and have it work it's magic.

Last edited by capz,
Reactions: loco365

elhobbs

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually prefer FTPBrony. If anything it should be with that. The reason why i am saying this is proof of concept is I can not do this be my self I will need lots of help from lots of smart people who know objective C and C++ as well as java for this to even be consider a possibility. Which is why I posted the idea on here!
These type of "concept" posts where you have an idea and want someone else to build it for you tend to go nowhere. This is a a rather sweeping generalization, but people contribute to these sort of projects because they feel strongly about it - at this point you do not have anything to get behind. Also, as others have pointed out, a plugin for an existing IDE would be more likely to generate interest. Most of these steps can be configured as tools in many existing IDEs. So maybe a tutorial would be more appropriate.

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
This is more of a Brainstorm rather than Proof of Concept.
A PoC actually SHOWS that you have something built up that could lead to a more polished, developed project, not simply an idea with nothing to show off.

Reactions: Spaqin

KingOfHell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't want to do a plugin for an existing IDE, then maybe you could at least start with an existing, lightweight, open source IDE and build off of that rather than try to do an entire one from scratch. You'll save yourself the headache of having to trying to re-invent the wheel, or puzzle piece a bunch of stuff together, when someone else has already done it for you.

BurningDesire

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't want to do a plugin for an existing IDE, then maybe you could at least start with an existing, lightweight, open source IDE and build off of that rather than try to do an entire one from scratch. You'll save yourself the headache of having to trying to re-invent the wheel, or puzzle piece a bunch of stuff together, when someone else has already done it for you.
I found this one:

http://codelite.org

Looks very nice! I'll look into it. It is already cross-platform and it already supports c/c++

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

just hook up devkitarm to dev-cpp or code::blocks and you're done. :/ those are IDEs made for plugging different toolchains into and they are mature. Reinventing the wheel is never a good thing. KISS is always a good programming tip; Keep it simple, stupid. There is a good reason almost all sdks plug into an existing IDE.

why not focus on making a solution that will provide the things that aren't trivial yet? (build and launch can be done from the makefile)

downloadmii is dead and theme creation tools are starting to pop up now. Both seem rather outside of the scope of an IDE to me. (buggy and no longer developed)

this testflight/buddy app seems more interesting to develop. All you need then is to hook your build setup into that and have it work it's magic.
I have plans to work on a test flight app even if this IDE/Plug in never comes to be in the coming year. I'm currently in the middle of a project now. I have a awesome looking interface I can't wait to show off. Man - I love designing software! I also like coding it to. I tend to get discouraged though because that is the hard part. haha.

tony_2018

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
These type of "concept" posts where you have an idea and want someone else to build it for you tend to go nowhere. This is a a rather sweeping generalization, but people contribute to these sort of projects because they feel strongly about it - at this point you do not have anything to get behind. Also, as others have pointed out, a plugin for an existing IDE would be more likely to generate interest. Most of these steps can be configured as tools in many existing IDEs. So maybe a tutorial would be more appropriate.

This isn't the first time, but its never the last. Idea's are fine and all but if you haven't even gotten any progress done than it goes no where. So far the only person who ever did start a PoC thread actually made it work but it was too complicated to release for the the regular members.

capz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I found this one:

http://codelite.org

Looks very nice! I'll look into it. It is already cross-platform and it already supports c/c++

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I have plans to work on a test flight app even if this IDE/Plug in never comes to be in the coming year. I'm currently in the middle of a project now. I have a awesome looking interface I can't wait to show off. Man - I love designing software! I also like coding it to. I tend to get discouraged though because that is the hard part. haha.
is that hardcoded/app specific UI or a reusable library?

stinkoman

Magnificent Bastard
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, seriously. UH, I HAVE NO REAL MARKETABLE SKILLS, BUT HERE'S MY IDEA. A PLUGIN? THAT'S WAY LESS COOL. HOW ABOUT A WHOLE NEW SUITE?

smealum

growing up sucks.
Trophies
Website
www.smealum.net
XP
Country
United States
press Y in hbmenu, use 3dslink (comes with devkitarm) on your pc

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool