• Views 2,076,189
  • Replies 1,683
  • Likes 90

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hi, I heard about the youtube channel takedown.
Does this have any implications for this project? :(
No. We're aware that at CAPCOM's request some videos (the complete translated let's play and some OST videos) were taken down from YouTube. This has happened before and we were honestly surprised it lasted this long considering it's popularity. Bolt Storm over at Court Records commented on it: http://forums.court-records.net/vie...sid=95a4bf19e3160fd225af7dfefaca3399#p1392481

We agree with his take on the situation. CAPCOM is re-releasing DGS1 in a bundle with DGS2 in Japan. The subtitles in the videos were optional, so Japanese viewers could watch them instead of playing the game. It made sense for CAPCOM to be bothered by that I guess - still a hard blow for the nice people who worked hard on them. There's currently no reason to believe an official DGS translation is in the works, nor do we have reason to believe CAPCOM is bothered by this project, as we have always stated we require the original Game Card for our patch and do not support piracy.

We are acting in good faith and hope this project will bring some additional sales to CAPCOM to support the Ace Attorney francise (which needs it). As long as CAPCOM does not ask us to stop, we see no reason to do so at this time.

Last edited by Uwabami,
Reactions: mscoopo and GHANMI
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Please stop.
What makes you think a visual novel translation was suddenly completed by leprauchauns overnight since their last reply? (which was only yesterday by the way) This is as annoying and unnerving as you could guess it is.
Also guess what, these sorts of replies cause motivation to be drained and time best spent elsewhere on fullfilling life activities or the translation project proper is now spent replying to these pointless posts just polluting and derailing threads without anything productive happening because of them. These projects run on passion. Do the math.

It's a nice thing you got the chance to be involved with Investigations 2, in what can only be beta testing. But that's not useful help for this team probably, and they said (repeatedly) they're not hiring. Someone more rude would tell you it doesn't count as actual "working on the project" (though I disagree, just look at Capcom's official Ace Attorney translations full with typos) but it comes off as a bit arrogant here, and as if you're repeating "patch when" one more time just sugarcoated with some "credentials" to make it more credible. Please don't do that.

@Uwabami
I really hope the last few pages of this thread didn't leave a bad aftertaste in you as much as I think they would have.
The internet can be a place where negativity and stupidity are amplified and basic decency foregone, and I feel second-hand embarrassment at displays of such aspects on this very topic, and I wish this didn't get to you.

Rest assured your efforts whether they bear fruit or not, and whenever they come out and even beyond that, will be appreciated to their true value and for the passion behind it by so many people around the world.

And that a salty would-be "editor"'s opinions about your "laziness" and your work's "bad quality" are largely inconsequential as much as they're removed from reality, and at best a farce. Your work will attract hatred from some people annoyed with your translation choices, same factor discouraging Capcom themselves from an official release. It's the new cool thing to hate on fan-translations and fan works in general and get them C&D'ed whenever the occasion presents itself, but be assured your work is giving this game the translation that better represents it and its themes and subtleties. Someone is doing a re-translation for the original Ace Attorney as of now, so the demand is there for authentic translations that aren't necessarily Babelfish or NES-era grammar things as their haters love so much to misrepresent and strawman.

Have a nice day :)

And by the way, was it ever confirmed DGS1 and DGS2 would be bundled in one single package, like the Fire Emblem Fates/BoxBoy/Gunvolt "special editions"? I see this repeated so much.

I don't think I was rude at all to begin with, I just wanted to know how the project was going. I didn't go like "GIVE ME THIS GAME OR ELSE...!" or try to rush anyone. Having participated in the Investigations 2 project I know how much stress some people within a fan translation can pass through, especially when the others criticize their work as if they're making something out of winning money, when all there is involved to it is time spent on something that they love as fans, which should be really appreciated. I can remember how many people came to Auryn (main person responsible for the translation and localization effort of Investigations 2) to try and hurry him up and how much of a toll it took on him. So no I don't think I am doing any of these things when I ask for updates. I also added in my post that there wasn't any need at all for people to tell me of the progress if they felt like it would make people rush or criticize them. So please don't come up with a sermon of things I already know and don't say I am trying to drain the project.

As for the whole "we're not hiring" thing, I can understand that but seeing as though this thread has gone for quite a while and we have now 62 pages worth of discussion on the fan translation in this forum I assumed that maybe the situation might have changed ever since the beggining of the project. Now that I have the info that the team is going to be deciding on who helps with beta testing and when, I won't pry any longer into the matter.

I wish good luck to the team and would like to thank them, once again, for working in this project. If anyone felt offended by anything I posted I apologize in advance.

Reactions: DarthVitrial

linkenski

Trophies
XP
Country
I played your NYE demo patch. Great work guys! It is really good!

I do have one question though. While it's not as bad looking as in Dual Destinies the font of that game is still the one you used, but meanwhile the font that was used in SoJ is a more refined and clear version of the DD font that looks much, much better on a 3DS screen. Since we have to extract the DD font manually I was wondering if it's hard to swap to the SoJ font instead?

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I played your NYE demo patch. Great work guys! It is really good!

I do have one question though. While it's not as bad looking as in Dual Destinies the font of that game is still the one you used, but meanwhile the font that was used in SoJ is a more refined and clear version of the DD font that looks much, much better on a 3DS screen. Since we have to extract the DD font manually I was wondering if it's hard to swap to the SoJ font instead?
AA5_AA6_comparison.png

Left: used in Dual Destinies dialugue box - Middle: also found in DD, used in DGS - Right: used in Spirit of Justice dialogue box

I guess it's a little bigger which probably makes it a little better but I don't think you'd notice the difference that much. I started porting the font before SoJ dropped, and much of the text was already inserted at the time, so the editors had to change things around to make the text fit again (they had a lot more space when I was done). This already happened several times:

First version was wide font found in vanilla DGS:
top_0000-png.22330

Second was the font used in the menu of DGS (it was smaller and we could fit more text, but not a good reading font):
[couldn't find a screenshot for some reason]
Third was "font patch v1", which used the AA5 dialogue box font, but without the filters (which made it sharper), as you can see it had spacing issues:
_dialogue1.png

Then "font patch v2" (or v3? I forgot) when I fixed up spacing:
top_0000.png

and now we're at "font patch v4" (used in the Demo) with some tweaks and the slightly sharper font in the middle:
top_0010.png

That didn't change any spacing, so they forgave me.

As you can probably guess: If I change the font again, the editors will kill me.

linkenski

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, now that I actually look at both DD and DGS side by side, I can see that the "hidden" font in DD does look sharper and cleaner than vanilla DD but still less good than SoJ. I can imagine with the amount of text you already have implemented in english that changing it now would be a chore though. What's in the demo works and looks a tad better than DD so I guess that's fine.

What about the evidence text font then? It looks really bulky and in the demo there's one piece of evidence where the far right text overlaps the UI.

Last edited by linkenski,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: and that's a clean report center