• Start date
  • Views 2,076,531
  • Replies 1,683
  • Likes 90

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Yes, you can preorder two different bundles on sites like play-asia.com - there's simple DGS1+DGS2+Mini OST bundle for around $70 and a more luxurious one for $135 with DGS1, DGS2, DramaCD, "Money Box", "Special Note", Pencil Set and Mini OST. You can probably find other sites like it, just search for "Dai Gyakuten Saiban".

Not a special edition bundling both games on the same cartridge?
That's a bummer, but I'll take all I can get.
$70 for both games even with import fees isn't that bad, they're worth it.
I was addicted for a while to the DGS OST. Would feast my eyes on the game more (watching Case 1 on youtube w/ English subs was thrilling) but I'd rather wait and not spoil further stuff (though that's already done).

What was the deal with the font used in DGS by the way? Did you ever figure out its graphical format? (I know you're now using AA5/6's English font, but that technical aspect has been bugging me for a while)

Reactions: Uwabami

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
What was the deal with the font used in DGS by the way? Did you ever figure out its graphical format? (I know you're now using AA5/6's English font, but that technical aspect has been bugging me for a while)
Yes, that's a complicated thing in DGS/other MT Engine games I guess. The fonts are a texture with all characters and an index file with coordinates we've mostly reversed. We've already used that know-how to make that big font used on the Topic/Conclusion cards during Joint Reasoning, but we don't understand it completely yet. Some font parameters are set by the GUI element that uses it, which makes it even more complicated - there's settings like monospacing and ruby set by default often, which are needed for Japanese, but a problem when using Latin writing. We can now edit those more easily, but they are complicated and we have (obviously) no documentation on them. And since DGS doesn't run in any emulator, testing and figuring things out is a painful process.

But don't worry, we'll get there.

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
PSA: Do NOT update your firmware if you haven't installed CFW yet, as there might be a new method to install CFW released today. It should be easier, quicker and safer than anything we have right now. I don't know about an entry for 11.4 - so please stay put until they've released.

shahanshah

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Please stop.
What makes you think a visual novel translation was suddenly completed by leprauchauns overnight since their last reply? (which was only yesterday by the way) This is as annoying and unnerving as you could guess it is.
Also guess what, these sorts of replies cause motivation to be drained and time best spent elsewhere on fullfilling life activities or the translation project proper is now spent replying to these pointless posts just polluting and derailing threads without anything productive happening because of them. These projects run on passion. Do the math.

It's a nice thing you got the chance to be involved with Investigations 2, in what can only be beta testing. But that's not useful help for this team probably, and they said (repeatedly) they're not hiring. Someone more rude would tell you it doesn't count as actual "working on the project" (though I disagree, just look at Capcom's official Ace Attorney translations full with typos) but it comes off as a bit arrogant here, and as if you're repeating "patch when" one more time just sugarcoated with some "credentials" to make it more credible. Please don't do that.

@Uwabami
I really hope the last few pages of this thread didn't leave a bad aftertaste in you as much as I think they would have.
The internet can be a place where negativity and stupidity are amplified and basic decency foregone, and I feel second-hand embarrassment at displays of such aspects on this very topic, and I wish this didn't get to you.

Rest assured your efforts whether they bear fruit or not, and whenever they come out and even beyond that, will be appreciated to their true value and for the passion behind it by so many people around the world.

And that a salty would-be "editor"'s opinions about your "laziness" and your work's "bad quality" are largely inconsequential as much as they're removed from reality, and at best a farce. Your work will attract hatred from some people annoyed with your translation choices, same factor discouraging Capcom themselves from an official release. It's the new cool thing to hate on fan-translations and fan works in general and get them C&D'ed whenever the occasion presents itself, but be assured your work is giving this game the translation that better represents it and its themes and subtleties. Someone is doing a re-translation for the original Ace Attorney as of now, so the demand is there for authentic translations that aren't necessarily Babelfish or NES-era grammar things as their haters love so much to misrepresent and strawman.

Have a nice day :)

And by the way, was it ever confirmed DGS1 and DGS2 would be bundled in one single package, like the Fire Emblem Fates/BoxBoy/Gunvolt "special editions"? I see this repeated so much.
Oh, piss off, will you? He asked how it's going, said he's eager to see your work, offered his assistance and wished you good luck. Then you tell him to stop and blame him for "draining" you? You're not forced to reply to every single forum post in this thread

Reactions: paperycandy

1x2x4x1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At first, there was the "when will it release?"
Then there was the "stop asking when it will release."
Now there is the "stop the stopping of the question, 'when will it release'"
Now I present to you, the "stop the stopping of stopping of the question, 'when will it release.'"

Reactions: GHANMI

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
At first, there was the "when will it release?"
Then there was the "stop asking when it will release."
Now there is the "stop the stopping of the question, 'when will it release'"
Now I present to you, the "stop the stopping of stopping of the question, 'when will it release.'"
I never told anyone to stop asking, I only said it's pointless, since we'll tell you right away when it releases :ha:

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Oh, piss off, will you? He asked how it's going, said he's eager to see your work, offered his assistance and wished you good luck. Then you tell him to stop and blame him for "draining" you? You're not forced to reply to every single forum post in this thread

@1x2x4x1 already said all that's to be said about this.

I just love how you assumed I was a part of the DGS translation team (it's not like I even come here that much), and then proceeded to tell that supposed "team member" to "piss off" and step aside to let the benevolent "y no patch yet" train going.
Rudeness aside, this is comedy gold.

Last edited by GHANMI,

shahanshah

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@1x2x4x1 already said all that's to be said about this.

I just love how you assumed I was a part of the DGS translation team (it's not like I even come here that much), and then proceeded to tell that supposed "team member" to "piss off" and step aside to let the benevolent "y no patch yet" train going.
Rudeness aside, this is comedy gold.
I'm telling you to piss off with that attitude whether you're on the team or not

Reactions: paperycandy

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
That sure didn't sound like it, but I could care less. At this point, this is past the level of civil discourse. Believe whatever helps you sleep at night.

I still think working on random anger management issues, inflated sense of entitlement, and constant nagging, and fixing these problems from within is a much better solution to improve oneself, and for the peace of mind for everyone involved. Not glorifying these character flaws and expecting the world around you bending backwards to "respect" shit-posting.

Back on topic, seems like sighax now allows for even people oblivious or dumb enough to upgrade to 11.4 to install CFW again. On the outside with Luma installed, it still behaves the same for LayeredFS patches (if the team decide to go that way) so nothing that impacts this translation directly.

Also @Uwabami that was a really instructive read about the graphical engine. If it's not much, please consider sharing the notes about the graphical formats (fonts and other assets you edited) after the translation is over - I'm really interested (like for things as Dezail's Victorian English of the Queen and how they did it)

Last edited by GHANMI,

Steve_Doido

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Question: are you going to make the tools used public? Would be really nice for the community. Lots of projects do that, and are the foundation for all kinds of romhacks.

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Question: are you going to make the tools used public? Would be really nice for the community. Lots of projects do that, and are the foundation for all kinds of romhacks.
At least not in the current form, because it's tied to our private repository. Even if we were to remove those parts and made it public (no promises), it's not suited for anything besides translation. You probably want to use it to make custom cases - let me burst your bubble here before your dreams get too big: that's way to complicated and very time-consuming. Use a case maker.

Now for helping other teams (I can't stress "team" enough, it's a lot of work) translate DGS into other languages - we already said we'll help others with our knowledge and tools once we're done.

Last edited by Uwabami,

scovelme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So what's the story about the classical Japanese in DGS? I've heard it's harder to translate, but have you actually had any trouble reading/translating it?

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So what's the story about the classical Japanese in DGS? I've heard it's harder to translate, but have you actually had any trouble reading/translating it?
Where did you hear that? They do use a few words that sound a little archaic and for style reasons some old forms of Kanji (though not in the dialogue), but it's definitely not classical Japanese. It's not how they really would've talked at that time, and they (obviously) don't write like they would've at that time (few could read that easily in Japan).

So except for some stylistic exceptions, it's run-off-the-mill modern Japanese.

Steve_Doido

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
At least not in the current form, because it's tied to our private repository. Even if we were to remove those parts and made it public (no promises), it's not suited for anything besides translation. You probably want to use it to make custom cases - let me burst your bubble here before your dreams get too big: that's way to complicated and very time-consuming. Use a case maker.

Now for helping other teams (I can't stress "team" enough, it's a lot of work) translate DGS into other languages - we already said we'll help others with our knowledge and tools once we're done.
Well, when the time is right, I'll come back, then.

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It seems Nintendo is massively banning CFW users... Let's hope nobody on the translation team gets banned.
I heard about this and I blocked all my Nintendo devices from the Internet without even checking for now until we know more. I advised everyone else to do the same.

But even if we were to be blocked, I don't see how that would stop us from doing our work - you don't need online services for DGS...

linkenski

Trophies
XP
Country
I heard about this and I blocked all my Nintendo devices from the Internet without even checking for now until we know more. I advised everyone else to do the same.

But even if we were to be blocked, I don't see how that would stop us from doing our work - you don't need online services for DGS...
Besides, do you even need CFW or softmods? Doesn't HANS and other apps that are non-intrusive to a genuine and Sysnand-only 3DS-es allow you to use homebrew and romhacks without technically violating Nintendo's Terms of Service?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.