[Project] The Great Ace Attorney (Dai Gyakuten Saiban) Fan Translation

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by xz11, May 22, 2016.

1. Steve_Doido

Member Steve_Doido GBAtemp Regular

Brazil
    For rewrites, it depends on their content. It was valid for 4kids to do what they did, but they made an undeniably worse product. Look at stuff like Elite Beat Agents, or Decap Attack, pretty much completely diferent games that many would argue are BETTER than their japonese counterparts. If you want text only changes, what about how Woolsey did his stuff? He had to rewritte a lot to keep the meaning of lines, and most people will agree they ended up being BETTER, to the point where fans are dedicated enough to do a clean up of his version to create a version of FFVI that just restore the ACTUAL censorship changes and kept his script nearly intact (search for FFVI Ted Woolsey Uncensored Edition). And I stand by my point of Project II FFIV, which rewrote one of the worst translations out and made it the ultimate version of the game.
    Forcing honorifics is not about faithfulness. It's about forcing a language tool that doesn't exist in the language you were supposed to be translating to instead of adapting them for something that's actually used on it.

I... really don't know what you're talking about here.

Point is: if japonese people had little chance of knowing the answer, your average AMERICANO has ZERO. They HAVE to adapt stuff, otherwise it gets to pretty awkard situations. There's a reason game show are made in their respective countries. What's the point of watching "Show do Milhão" if you don't have a change of answering stuff yourself?

Just ask @Uwabami, I already stopped asking for this.

2. Lusankya

Newcomer Lusankya Advanced Member

Germany
    They never gave us a concrete reason why they didn't localize DGS, but I doubt it's because it's "too Japanese". I mean there is only a single case in Japan, while the rest of the game takes place in London. It's actually the most English AA game ever.
    More likely it's just that they're afraid a new AA spin-off without Phoenix won't sell in the West or maybe the weird legal situation with Sherlock Holmes in the US. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sherlock_Holmes#Copyright_issues

AA producer Eshiro just said: "Unfortunately there's a number of circumstances... We absolutely do want to bring it to the West, but unfortunately due to these circumstances right now..."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ace-attorneys-creators-talk-the-new-title-and-loca/1100-6440971/

Last edited by Lusankya, Apr 22, 2017 at 11:31 AM
    Steve_Doido likes this.
  3. Feroz El Mejor

Member Feroz El Mejor GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    I think it's the copyright on United States for Sherlock Holmes, sadly is CAPCOM USA who localize the games and not CAPCOM UK :(

4. LolcatPlays

Newcomer LolcatPlays Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    I think it's a bit strange to not localise a game based on a character series, since it's easy for Capcom to just change the name of the character and would not need licensing. I can think of plenty of games that get away with licensing a character by changing names.

5. TurnaboutLover

Newcomer TurnaboutLover Member

United Kingdom
    Personally I'd rather not see Holmes get changed to basically being a parody or anything like that.
    I've read that Holmes was planned to be a part of this game from the very beginning.

Edit:
    And this game apparently makes numerous references to the original stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Last edited by TurnaboutLover, Apr 22, 2017 at 2:15 PM
    Feroz El Mejor and Steve_Doido like this.
  6. Entsuo_Ex

Newcomer Entsuo_Ex Newbie

Philippines
    Hmm may I suggest an idea that may or may not work but...worth a shot xD (without piracy)
    Soo I was thinking, can you patch the game via its updates? I was wondering if putting the patch (assume the translation patch is finished) inside one of DGS' updates WOULD actually patch the game when installed. Tho I'm not sure, I'm not an expert...it just popped out of my mind! xD

darklord1013 likes this.
  7. TurnaboutLover

United Kingdom
    So seeing as I updated to 11.4 without thinking, would there still be a way for me to play this patch at any point or have I just screwed myself over?

8. Peardude89

Newcomer Peardude89 Newbie

United States
    You've only temporarily screwed yourself over. It'll be some time before a new way to access Homebrew is found, but there always seems to be a way. You just have to play the waiting game.

9. darklord1013

Newcomer darklord1013 Member

United States
    Finally patched the demo, (thanks to cfw for 11.3) and I can say that I am impressed and excited for the episode one release! I CAN"T WAIT ANY LONGER AND I'M ABOUT TO GET MY OWN COPY OF DGS!!!!

10. TurnaboutLover

United Kingdom
    I was happy when I found out having a physical copy of the game would be a requirement. :)
    So if you order it via a sight like Play asia does a profit go to Capcom or something or am I getting that wrong?

11. darklord1013

United States
    Any luck with the episode one issues?

12. TurnaboutLover

United Kingdom
    So I'm incredibly unfamiliar with how hacking works and I just wanted to ask, what about CFW makes it the recommended way for playing this patch once it starts getting released?

darklord1013 likes this.
  13. Seliph

Member Seliph Scion of Light/Orphan

United States
    Luma should do good

14. TurnaboutLover

United Kingdom
    Yeah but what advantage does that have over something like Hans?

15. Seliph

United States
    I'm not sure how patching will work in Luma for this translation patch but I'm assuming that it works like normal patching. Basically, Luma got an update that makes game patching really easy so all you need are a couple small files on your SD card that contain the patch then you just open up the game and it's patched.
    It's a much quicker and easier method compared to the Braindump-Hans method.

16. TurnaboutLover

United Kingdom
    That does sound like a much simpler method.
    I'm probably gonna need to take whatever I can get though seeing as I'm now on 11.4 and to add insult to injury then found out that CFW was now available for 11.3. -_-

Seliph likes this.
  17. Seliph

United States
    Rip. Tbh, the large amount time it takes and the tedium of installing Luma is probably much slower than using braindump and hans.

18. darklord1013

United States
    I have a feeling something is happening or about to happen beacause @Uwabami hasn't been answering and is quiet...

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also, @Seliph is there a video demonstrating luma game patching?

19. Seliph

United States
    I'm not sure but the process is incredibly straightforward so I don't think you need a video guide. That being said, I'm not even sure if this patch will follow conventional Luma patching either because the devs are trying to make harder for the patch to be used on pirated copies of the game. If I were you, I'd just wait until the first chapter is released and then I'd assume they'll include the steps to patch your game along with that.

20. darklord1013

United States
    Ok thanks. But I'm still wondering when the issues with episode 1 will be fixed. Who knows, if we are lucky, Episode 1 could be released any day now...

Seliph likes this.