Manurocker95

Game Developer & Pokémon Master
Trophies
Website
manuelrodriguezmatesanz.com
XP
Country
Spain
I don't want to start a fight, but is there any way for people overseas to buy physical copies of DGS that still support the developers? The only options I can find are from resellers and that gives nothing to the people making the game. In that sense, people with a JPN 3DS (which is more than you give credit for, given the fact that homebrew makes systems essentially region-free + JPN exclusives/special edition 3DS's) purchasing digitally is the only way to obtain the game in a way that still supports the release. Buying a used physical copy and pirating a copy both give $0 to the developer, so why is one better or worse?

As I said before, you can buy a game changing your console's region on eShop and buying a used copy in a distribution shop supports the dev.

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't want to start a fight, but is there any way for people overseas to buy physical copies of DGS that still support the developers? The only options I can find are from resellers and that gives nothing to the people making the game. In that sense, people with a JPN 3DS (which is more than you give credit for, given the fact that homebrew makes systems essentially region-free + JPN exclusives/special edition 3DS's) purchasing digitally is the only way to obtain the game in a way that still supports the release. Buying a used physical copy and pirating a copy both give $0 to the developer, so why is one better or worse?
Yes, there are sites like play-asia.com (search for "dai gyakuten saiban") which currently sell the normal version, the limited edition and (new) the limited edition bundle of DGS 1 & 2 as preorder. Those are not pre-owned. And even while developers don't make additional money if you buy a pre-owned game, that's still better than pirating it.

I don't know how many people own a Japanese 3DS and need a DGS translation, my guess it's not many. Currently, the best way for us to shut out pirates is to require the genuine Game Card. I'm aware that some skript kiddie will eventually circumvent and release it, but if even a few people buy the game because of our stance, thats better than nothing.

I'm not trying to stop anyone from pirating completely (I can't), but this game series needs sales badly. The main series has been digital-only and only in English since Dual Destinies, we didn't get Ace Attorney Investigations 2 (Gyakuten Kanji 2) and one of the big reasons for DGS not getting a western release is: low sales. If you pirate this game, you're part of the problem and you don't get to complain about it not getting a western release.

Last edited by Uwabami,

RarePupper

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Currently, the best way for us to shut out pirates is to require the genuine Game Card. I'm aware that some skript kiddie will eventually circumvent and release it, but if even a few people buy the game because of our stance, thats better than nothing.
If you require the Game Card, what about those who have already purchased digitally? It'd be a little troublesome to have to buy the game twice, in my opinion.

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you require the Game Card, what about those who have already purchased digitally? It'd be a little troublesome to have to buy the game twice, in my opinion.
Again, our estimation is that the number of people who own a Japanese 3DS, bought the game on eShop instead of a physical copy and need a translation is very low. I don't want to say those people don't exist, I just don't believe there are many. Of course they should not be required to buy the Game again, we have to think of a solution for those people I guess.

Erythros

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Umm, excuse me if I'm not seeing the big picture, but buying the japanese copy, as if I were a japanese person, and giving money to the japanese branch, in japan, where japanese ppl play it in japanese, further developping the japanese market of the game in japan would help in bringing the games to the west how again?

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Umm, excuse me if I'm not seeing the big picture, but buying the japanese copy, as if I were a japanese person, and giving money to the japanese branch, in japan, where japanese ppl play it in japanese, further developping the japanese market of the game in japan would help in bringing the games to the west how again?
Sites like play-asia have to get their stock from Capcom. Capcom knows how many copies are sold to exporters. Also: DGS didn't do too well in Japan either, there's even rumors that a planned third part was scrapped because of that.

1x2x4x1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Capcom should take this translation and put it on eShop.
More sales for them + didn't have to hire translators + possible globalization of DGS2 + all other benefits

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Capcom should take this translation and put it on eShop.
More sales for them + didn't have to hire translators + possible globalization of DGS2 + all other benefits
That would be an honor. And companies have blessed fan translations before...

But for now let us concentrate on finally getting Episode 1 out - no more piracy talk please. DGS is worth every dime and the series needs support!

Last edited by Uwabami,
Reactions: darklord1013

darklord1013

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That would be an honor. And companies have blessed fan translations before...

But for now let us concentrate on finally getting Episode 1 out - no more piracy talk please. DGS is worth every dime and the series needs support!
I agree we shouldn't talk about piracy and respect the intentions of team if, I am waiting with excitement for the release of the first episode! Also I thank the translators for their hard work in translating the game for the Ace Attorney fans!

Reactions: Uwabami

Feroz El Mejor

Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Spain
T8inNIb.jpg

This image is like one year old, I still have my copy waiting for this patch, so I'm waiting there! Good luck everyone!

scovelme

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is a bit off-topic but I've been wondering why long vowels in Japanese are romanized with different vowels? (e.g. Naruhodou instead of Naruhodoo)

mscoopo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sites like play-asia have to get their stock from Capcom. Capcom knows how many copies are sold to exporters. Also: DGS didn't do too well in Japan either, there's even rumors that a planned third part was scrapped because of that.

Hang on so there won't be a DGS3 if DGS & DGS2 don't sell better? Is that right?

Reactions: lylandackey

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Hang on so there won't be a DGS3 if DGS & DGS2 don't sell better? Is that right?
I'm not working for CAPCOM, so my guess is as good as yours, but generally speaking - games that don't sell well don't get a sequel. I don't have hard numbers on sales, but word is, DGS did not do as well as expected for some reason.

Reactions: lylandackey

Steve_Doido

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
@Steve_Doido
if not for you simply not seeming to take no for an answer, and trying to force YOUR interpretation on everyone waiting for a translation representing the original game, considering not everyone shares the same contempt for aspects of it as you do.
Dude, I already stopped. I understood their decision, and I am more than OK with it.

I'm not working for CAPCOM, so my guess is as good as yours, but generally speaking - games that don't sell well don't get a sequel. I don't have hard numbers on sales, but word is, DGS did not do as well as expected for some reason.
Zack & Wiki is the prime Capcom example.

Last edited by Steve_Doido,

ExData7

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
cant wait to play episode mates cheers and may you guys have good fortune with this translation. Does anyone know if theres a translating of the 3ds version of EX troopers? i saw a Proof of Concept video for the ps3 version which was dated back in febuary.

Uwabami

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They never planned DGS to be a trilogy in the first place, so there is no "previously planned DGS3 that got scrapped".
DGS2 will finish the story.
They said it was meant to be a series if it goes well. The fact that DGS2 will finish the story took us by surprise.

Lusankya

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
They said it was meant to be a series if it goes well. The fact that DGS2 will finish the story took us by surprise.

Let's say it like this: They never specified how many DGS titles they want to release and there was no confirmation that any planned title was canceled either. So we don't know whether or not they now try to squeeze the story of two games into one.

And actually they could release a DGS3 even if the story of DGS1 is finished in DGS2. They could just start a new story in the same universe.

Last edited by Lusankya,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember seeing the very first episode back in the day, and have watched every episode since. I used to set my VCR to record them even, shows how long ago.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just like any comedies really, and cartoons have always been a favorite of mine. Family guy, American Dad, Futurama, Cleveland Show, Simpsons - I like them all.
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    South Park is great cause they always touch on relavent issues going on today, and make something funny out of it.
    +3
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa were you always up to date on the current events and issues of the time or were there issues that you first found out thru south park
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Most of the time yea I knew, I watch and read the news regularly, but sometimes the Hollywood BS stuff, like concerning actors slip by me. I don't follow most Hollywood BS (example: the Kardasians)
    +2
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @BigOnYa there were relevant issues before south park was made, that's why i think a south park prequel/spinoff would be great. Randy and his friends in their child hood
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, like them running in high school together, getting into stuff, and how they got hitched and had kids. And how the town of South Park was back then compared to now. That would be cool to see.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @salazarcosplay if they made a prequel, it would still be about current issues, cause it doesn't make sense to make it about stuff that happened 30 years ago that nobody cares about anymore
    it's too late
    the older south park episodes about particular issues usually age poorly since the topic is no longer relevant
    an exception is giant douche vs turd sandwich, that's always relevant :P
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was gone for like an hour and none of you thought to write or call pos
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    We knew you were going to Sonic to get lunch.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Sonics fast I would've been home in 10 mins
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Meet and greet with AncientBoi then?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    That would've gone slow he's old
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sadly the person in question feels too young for his own good
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We don't question people
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    me neither, i just bash them
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
    ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21: bored, guess i'll spread more democracy