[Project] The Great Ace Attorney (Dai Gyakuten Saiban) Fan Translation

Discussion in '3DS - ROM Hacking, Translations and Utilities' started by xz11, May 22, 2016.

1. xz11
    OP

Newcomer xz11 Member

Canada
    [​IMG]

Made a new thread so that we can freely update the OP.

We have an announcement. We are now accepting applications to be recruited to our team!

Watch the video below for more information
    :

FAQ

Is there a Discord?

Our team server is members only, but you may be interested in joining either (or both) of these Discords:

Ace Attorney: https://discord.gg/hR7mmrn
    Court Records: https://discord.gg/3eYQhmS

Some of us are hanging out there as well. Please make sure to read their rules about spoilers etc. when joining.

Will it be like AAI2's fan localization?

Not quite. We are simply doing a translation. We will change puns and jokes so that they make sense in English, and there are only a few ancestors of familiar characters which will not be changed for the sake of keeping the original story intact. Continuing the "Americanizing" that Capcom have done for the rest of the Ace Attorney games is fairly impossible for this game.

What is the progress so far?

We have a lot of the main story translated thanks to K-Sha and co.'s subbing of gameplay, which they have allowed us to use. We are grateful for that, but there is still a bit to translate. Most of the work is editing the English text into the game.

When will it be released?

That is what this thread is for. We don't have a release date for any episode yet, but we will keep you updated as much as possible here.

How will it be released?

We are expecting to have an episodic release pattern.
    Updates about the Project
    Thank you!

Last edited by Uwabami, Apr 4, 2017

2. Kyojin

Member Kyojin #include "brain.h"

France
    Really hoping this will eventually come to life. Thank you all for the effort you are putting into it!

Azel likes this.
  3. CrispyYoshi

Member CrispyYoshi GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Whoa! I'm really looking forward to this: Good luck to everyone applying!

4. Verack

Member Verack GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Call me Negative Nancy, but this is exactly what happened to FE: If's translation. The team claimed they were doing something, only to flop and flounder around for months without doing anything, and then finally sputtering out (not before claiming they got a new team, that is). Heck, this is the same "team" if I'm not mistaken.

If anything, go get your money pooled up, and go get a real translator like Rattanman or RogueTranslations. Both of them plowed through games that had much more text/complexity than FE: If or this, and they did it with a one man team.

The reason I'm being negative is because I personally helped with FE: If's translation (under a different name, obviously), and everyone was overly lazy or supposedly busy. This is of course assuming it's the same people as before.

5. SoyAlexPop

Member SoyAlexPop GBAtemp Regular

Mexico
    But wasn't the translation eventually released? IDK man, I'm part of the team and I love to work with them but at the end of the day no one in the team is making coin out of it, we do it because we are fans of the game, IRL stuff will get in the way and we can't do anything about it that's how it is. Also we are kinda like a separate team from Team if, some of us were part of the old GAA translation team and then some members from Team If jump on the project so it was better to be part of the bigger team.

The translation like the FAQ says is almost done, K-sha and co. are great translators and they are doing it for free. Again we are not getting money from this so we can't get pay a "real translator".

I feel bad that your personal experience with the team wasn't the best but again the translation was eventually released.

Last edited by SoyAlexPop, May 22, 2016
  6. Verack

Member Verack GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It never was "released" as originally promised. As it is, the 3 main routes were translated, but they were riddled with errors, mistranslations, typos, and so on (thus the infamous "(lol" was born). Everything else (supports, my castle, etc) was left untranslated (that's where the bulk of the text is). The team flopped around for a couple of months, only to fizzle out with some members throwing a temper tantrum on the forums, followed by the creation of a "second team" that supposedly claimed to be finishing the job. So far, said second team hasn't accomplished anything.

Like you said, a bunch of you are part of the old GAA team, so I can't speak about those folk. You're correct in stating that people can have real life being busy, but that doesn't excuse the fact of how I would put in ~20 hours of work per week, only to see everyone else on the team didn't contribute squat. I quit some time back as a result, although I've made considerable progress on my own in regards to finishing the missing content. I'll probably release it eventually once it's done.

Either way, best of luck to you. I personally don't have high hopes for anything with the name "Team If" on it though, due to their poor track record. If anything, I'd recommend distancing yourselves from them.

7. mutinize

Member mutinize dazed and confused

United States
    I will very be happy if this gets completed. It's a shame that the only interesting attorney games never make it overseas.

Last edited by mutinize, May 22, 2016
  8. The Real Jdbye

Member The Real Jdbye Oh boy! I can't wait to bomb some dodongos!

Norway
    I can't wait for this to be released. I've been silently hoping that it would be officially localized but it seems unlikely that will happen at this point.
    I thought PLvsPW was pretty interesting. It's not a pure ace attorney game but does seem to have some of the same gameplay elements that are new in Dai Gyakuten Saiban and the story was very interesting.

9. mutinize

Member mutinize dazed and confused

United States
    I'm actually playing that now and it's pretty fun.

10. Feroz El Mejor

Member Feroz El Mejor GBAtemp Regular

Spain
    I'm really waiting this translation, I bought a physical copy to play it with a patch someday.

The thing, would be, get people from the AAI2 translation to help...

Well, anyway, good luck!

11. I_AM_L_FORCE

Member I_AM_L_FORCE Unban me from Discord

United Kingdom
    Native English speaker here. I have spare time if you need another member

12. hii915

Member hii915 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

13. jesterscourt

Member jesterscourt Not Brad.

United States
    I helped with the JUS translation back in the day, let me know when you have a rough script ready and I can do some English/American localization work.

14. xz11
    OP

Newcomer xz11 Member

Canada
    5/22/16 - Wow! Lots of people applying. I think I can speak for the whole team when I say, we are honestly floored. We did a lot of processing today and lots of editing happened. We even got a new graphics person on board. For those who sent an email after about 2pm EST today, we are sorry but busy things happened. You will be processed tomorrow in the later afternoon, do not worry!

Although, if you have not sent an email in yet and you want to help us, please do so! We are filling up rather fast and we are going to be rather picky in the future. Don't miss your chance!

Also, for those pessimistic types who have posted in this thread who do not have much hope for us, here's some proof that we are indeed hard at work.

[​IMG]

Thanks everyone for the enthusiasm and hard work so far!

Lycanroc, KJ1, mutinize and 4 others like this.
  15. onepiecefreak

Member onepiecefreak The Special One

Germany
    Could you roughly say how much of the whole text in the game was already be translated through the gameplays?
    It would give me... hmm, how to put it... a sense of progress, maybe?

16. xz11
    OP

Newcomer xz11 Member

Canada
    Up to and including halfway through case 5 is translated. There is still much to translate though. :lol:

mutinize, Kyojin and W4T4R1 like this.
  17. W4T4R1

Member W4T4R1 GBAtemp Regular

Italy
    Can't wait to play this game! Good luck everyone!! :yay3ds:

18. GorrillaRIBS

Member GorrillaRIBS Gigyas became tame

Canada
    Just curious, how many cases are in the game total? Just ordered a physical copy to dump when this gets released. Keep up the great work!

19. xz11
    OP

Newcomer xz11 Member

Canada
    5 cases and a DLC of sorts.

20. GorrillaRIBS

Member GorrillaRIBS Gigyas became tame

Canada
    DLC like the extra case in AA5? If so, will that be translated as well? (though it'd be hard to get a hold of without buying a JP 3DS, doing a region change or piracy)