ROM Hack Project: Isaac

Red Alert

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I've been using this tool to recreate my psx save, and here's a couple things I noticed:
  • Minor issue, but there seems to be no way to update the "Abilities Learned" attribute for any of characters. It doesn't seem to affect the abilities I can set for the character though, so it's just a cosmetic issue.
  • The "Silence" sword magic is listed as "Toad"
  • There seem to be a lot of extra colums in the stats page. Why do strength/agility/etc have two columns? Does it have something to do with base stats/bonus stats?
And some things that would be nice to have:
  • Auto-fill for abilities and the "Abilities Learned" attribute based on the info from the "Jobs" tab. Maybe have a checkbox or something to enable/disable having illegal abilities.
  • This would be a bit more complicated to implement, but an auto-full for the stats, based on level, equipment, and jobs. The game might auto-correct this on its own so this may be a moot point
  • Text filter for the items page. There are a lot of items to go through and being able to type in the first couple letters would be pretty helpful. Alternatively, being able to sort by name or type instead of just hex value would be helpful as well.

Kaleid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Love the feedback.

Bugs
1. I just didn't put in the code to update this. Fixed.
2. You are correct. I had it set to use the strings for Black Magic. Also, Sleep was Silence, Toad was Sleep, Flare was Holy, and Death was Flare. I'm bad. Fixed.
3. Yes, the first box is the base value. The second box is the total value (Base + Gear).

Suggestions
4. I am not sure what you mean by this. I am not very familiar with the game, to be quite honest. Also, safety checks appear rarely in my editors. Usually in the stats page by restricting HP to 9999, et cetera.
5. The game does lots of auto-correcting whenever you change menus, but tell me more about what you want here.
This is a good thing to know when hacking games. In some games, changes are only updated through menu changes, while in others changes are instantly updated.

6. Filters are already present in all drop-down controls. Simply right-click to see the extended options. (This information is in the tips portion of the Information window for ISE.)

Since none of the bugs were fatal, I am going to wait to push this release until I understand more about point #4 and #5.

Red Alert

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Basically, every time you get a job level, you get an ability. So if I'm a level 4 mystic knight and a level 2 thief, I'm guaranteed to have the first four mystic knight abilities and the first two thief abilities, and my abilities learned counter will be 6. The thing is, the game doesn't seem to validate or correct this in any way. If I edit my state to have mastered the knight without having any knight abilities, the game is perfectly content to leave it like that even though it's impossible to achieve that normally. The innate abilities are only granted after the job is mastered.

#5 doesn't really matter, since it looks like the game will auto correct stats after you manually change jobs. It's not really worth it for you to generate that in the program since it's easy to fix in game.

Kaleid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Red Alert: Sure, that could be added. Though, it would be low in priority, just like story events. It seems like it would be time consuming, figuring all the different permutations of abilities / jobs. If you want to make a list, I can add it to the program. Otherwise, the feature would be pushed back. Either way, I'll look into it.

Red Alert

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The job abilities are all independent of one another, so there aren't really any permutations. If you want a easy to reference list, there are already a bunch out there (e.g. - http://www.gamefaqs.com/gba/930369-final-fantasy-v-advance/faqs/46491)

To elaborate on what I'm saying, take the Knight info from that FAQ:

Code:
* Knight *  {3KNIA}

Unlocked: After completing the Wind Shrine

Lv0: 000AP - !Guard: Nullifies next physical attack on the user. Default when
you get this character.
Lv1: 010AP - Cover(A): Takes damage for Critical Allies
Lv2: 020AP - !Guard: Nullifies next physical attack on the user. This is the
primary ability for the Knight.
Lv3: 050AP - DblGrip(C): Allows character to weild some weapons with two
hands, this doubles the damage. Doesn't work with all weapons.
Lv4: 100AP - Equip Shields(C): Allows character to equip a shield even if
his/her current job does not allow for it.
Lv5: 150AP - Equip Armor(C): Allows character to equip Knight armor
regardless of the current Job.
Lv6: 350AP - Equip Swords(C): Allows character to equip General and Knight
Swords regardless of the current Job.

Lv0 skills aren't ones you learn, so just ignore those.

If I enter level 5 for knight in the Jobs tab, you know that I have Cover, !Guard, DblGrip (dual wield/2 handed/whatever), Equip Shields, and Equip Armor for abilities, since those are all abilities corresponding <=5. You can just iterate over each job this way and automatically fill out the character abilities.

Kaleid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, guys. I am currently working on updating all of my editors. The biggest roadblock is finding time to do it. During summer, my time is mostly focused on my four kids. Be aware that I have not abandoned anything here. Thanks.

Kaleid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Update: I am going ahead with a fully active, real-time editor. This means that anything you change in the editor will be reflected in the game and vice versa. There will also be a section for ROM patches and other cheat type functions. I'll hopefully have something to download by Wednesday. No promises, though.

Edit: Wednesday came and went. I spent about 80% of my programming time today trying to get a custom control to render properly. Such a huge headache. :(

There is only one other control that I need to update. Looking at Friday release unless something major comes up.

Reactions: Bart Lemming

Kaleid

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is another preview of real-time editing. I need to fix a couple things before release. I implemented a single, all-in-one, edit control to handle all editing needs. Left-clicking the control will bring up a window showing additional information about the value being edited. Right-clicking will allow quick editing of numeric values. Let me know what you think.

This package comes with an editor for Golden Sun: The Lost Age.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/c4i6uopijnir29o/ISE_Beta_(30_OCT_13).7z

Reactions: cearp

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Have a nice day. Life. Week. Month. year.