Gaming Producer of Splatoon - "Voice Chat Isn't Needed to Communicate Strategy"

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would love to be able to chat with my friends without having to sit next to a laptop. :glare:

Not everyone has Wii U playing friends. I would have to voice chat with strangers, and it wouldn't go over well. You wouldn't really be able to talk strategy with all the insults and swearing.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You couldn't use voice chat for strategy unless they blocked your opponents from hearing it. But then you couldn't trash talk your opponents, which would be the primary purpose of voice chat. You can't have it both ways, unless you want a system to switch back and forth between the two modes. This would be highly distracting and error-prone. Not to mention, people could place moles on the other team, ruining your strategy. Can you really trust everyone they put on your team? Who gets to be in charge? Why should the strangers listen to him? Don't you see how complicated this would get? It would totally ruin the game for everyone. The competitiveness would ruin it for the casuals and softcores, and trolls would ruin it for the hardcores. Just enjoy the game for what it is without all this extra nonsense.

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You -really- think a lot of these devs don't have the stats of how many people actually use the mics or put it on mute the second they log in?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Metrics does seem to be the buzzword of choice for several years at this point, online multiplayer, unfortunately, also being fairly high up in their thoughts as well. To that end I expect they have a fairly good guess as to what goes, however I would have hoped they would have led with "it is not used and detracts in some manner" rather than the wishy washy stuff they have tried feeding people.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Hanks6

Trophies
XP
Country
no excuse not to have voice chat, especially as the wii U gamepad has a built in microphone. plus there are no OS features to be able to chat to friends in real time, another letdown from Nintendo. I love the excuses people keep wheeling out for why it doesn't matter, both Nintendo themselves and the fanboys, as none of them have much if any validity.

too much profanity/swearing - parental controls, option to turn it off, muted by default, friends only
game is so fast and over quickly it wouldn't be useful - even more reason you need precise comms with your team mates, every second is critical
game is so simple it's not necessary - should be obvious, the basic mechanics may be simple but depth from advanced strategies could be considerable
you can use skype, teamspeak etc anyway - why should you need to? give players the option. for example my PC is in a different room to the wii U
would create uneven playing field - kind of proves that strategy does matter
voice chat is useless anyway, i never use voice chat - that's great but what about people who do and get a lot out of it

anyone got any others?

Tigran

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And yet.. No one seems pissed that Destiney doesn't have voice chat.

And before you get on "Party chat."

Party chat on the PS4 is as easy as using Skype on my phone... Hell.. PS4 and Skype are a hell of a lot easier than Xbox1's setup.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
And yet.. No one seems pissed that Destiney doesn't have voice chat.

And before you get on "Party chat."

Party chat on the PS4 is as easy as using Skype on my phone... Hell.. PS4 and Skype are a hell of a lot easier than Xbox1's setup.
Not everyone has Skype on their phone, one capable of it or a laptop nearby so just quit making excuses why we should give Nintendo a pass for this bullshit.

The GamePad has a built-in camera and microphone yet neither are really used like at all. Like who the fuck even uses 'Wii U Chat'?

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So... the game is going to have major content updates after release. Maybe if we bug Nintendo enough we can get voice chat between friends?
Remember the Wii U has video chat, so Nintendo has no problem letting friends talk to each other.

WiiCube_2013

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
So... the game is going to have major content updates after release. Maybe if we bug Nintendo enough we can get voice chat between friends?
Remember the Wii U has video chat, so Nintendo has no problem letting friends talk to each other.
It makes me wonder how the hell Wii U has never gotten Skype. It has everything to work perfectly with Skype video chats and yet it doesn't have it.

Reactions: Margen67

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay okay here's my idea. For each dpad direction we set a custom message. We can set it to ANYTHING but of course Nintendo can run a filter and get the Miiverse Nazis to approve everything. If they do this I CAN LIVE WITH COMMUNICATION IN SPLATOON. Hopefully we'd be able to swap out custom message sets along with equipment so I could have my (Get near me I've got a shield) message on my Splattershot Jr. class.

Reactions: Osha and Margen67

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
That's fine. How many people use voice chat anymore? Even playing Xbox I was in Skype more than in game or party chats.

Am I saying no one uses it? No... But if you're really desperate to chat with the small handful of Wii U players who also use that same function? There are other methods.

D

Deleted User

I agree with Guild.
Why bother posting this then? What does you agreeing with guild matter?

On topic, I don't personally mind not having to listen to a bunch of kids squeeling, but expect some in game pre set messages like "this way" or something like that.

Deboog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's fine. How many people use voice chat anymore? Even playing Xbox I was in Skype more than in game or party chats.

Am I saying no one uses it? No... But if you're really desperate to chat with the small handful of Wii U players who also use that same function? There are other methods.
Well the gamepad had a mic build in. Splatoon requires the gamepad. Voice chat would always be a press of the button away.

Reactions: WiiCube_2013

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Black_Manta_8bit @ Black_Manta_8bit: Oh @RedColoredStars yeah thats sad :sad: i feel it.