Hardware Problems Being Caused by a 128gb Sd Card

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Komputerbay is a brand by definition though. Just because it's not Samsung or SanDisk is no excuse to write it off. My cards have worked absolutely perfectly.

Plus since Komputebay isn't as high profile as Samsung or SanDisk, there's no counterfeit units.
$ / GB does not match up

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can get legit 128 gb cards for $40, a quick search on Amazon would confirm this.

I got lucky and got a sandisk 128 gb for $29 on Ebay and it's legit, just didn't have the adapter with it but I already have an extra one.

cravas

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
For peace of mind, you should test your micro SD card with h2test to confirm the actual speed, capacity, and reliability of the card. The way it works, it will full up the card with 1GB files then read them back to check read speed and data integrity. Fake cards will end up corrupting all files created beyond its physical capacity.

There was another thread recently where someone's 64GB Micro SD card turned out to be physically 8GB big, and the rest was faked via compression.

Edit: one site for h2test: http://www.uniwins.com/download/showdownload.php?id=2&lang=en

Just happened to me the same with a Kingston Micro SD 32Gb that I bought on a Cell phone repair shop.
When I move my 12Gb backup of my old card, it didn't work on my n3DS.
Tested with that program and only 8Gb were available, the rest would go corrupt.

Bought an Integral 32Gb and it work flawlessly.

Lessen learn, no more Kingston

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
Just happened to me the same with a Kingston Micro SD 32Gb that I bought on a Cell phone repair shop.
When I move my 12Gb backup of my old card, it didn't work on my n3DS.
Tested with that program and only 8Gb were available, the rest would go corrupt.

Bought an Integral 32Gb and it work flawlessly.

Lessen learn, no more Kingston
The lesson should be, be careful where you buy your SD cards from. Also, take the fake Micro SD card back and demand a refund. Kingston and Sandisk may be the most targeted fakes on the market, but they can hide them as any brand.

Reactions: cravas

CheatFreak47

Catgirl Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently got a new 128gb SD card for my o3dsxl. I noticed that it loads slower which is normal since the sd card is large. But the main problem that I'm having with it so far is that whenever I enter one of the apps on the top of the screen for example Game notes, Friends list, or Miiverse it will work normal but when I quit using the application, it will keep me in the page saying HOME. It seems like if I take out my SD card while It's on this screen that it will then crash out of it and then crash on the main menu. Is there any way I can fix this problem? By the way the SD card is on format FAT32 so I know that the format isn't the issue.

Wait just a second, you wouldn't happen to have MenuHax installed would you?
because SDiconhax can cause that exact behaviour you are describing.

Edit: Seems I was right, it was a problem with MenuHax.

All of you were picking on him for getting a bad SD card and that's probably not even the problem he's having. It's not cool to bandwagon something when you're not even sure it's true. It's helps to not assume everyone is an idiot.

$ / GB does not match up
And yes, yes, it does.
Tfqsvq4.png

Last edited by CheatFreak47,
Reactions: ihaveahax
D

Deleted User

I recently upgraded to a 128GB card as well because my collection grew too large; the slower home load is normal. Went from a 64GB Samsung EVO+ to a 128GB Samsung EVO Select. Also for anyone looking at these cards in particular PRO and EVO Select are their latest generation of card although the performance difference between them is negligible but the price may also be too depending on sales.

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
For those saying "Nintendo didn't expect someone to fill up more than 32 GB of digital games", I have to say, with around 150 legit eShop games bought, i filled up a 64GB card way before I was able to downgrade the console.

And, while the OP could have already solved the issue, it's better to buy "big" brands for this. While the cards could still be defective, you know they are most likely to work.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those saying "Nintendo didn't expect someone to fill up more than 32 GB of digital games", I have to say, with around 150 legit eShop games bought, i filled up a 64GB card way before I was able to downgrade the console.

And, while the OP could have already solved the issue, it's better to buy "big" brands for this. While the cards could still be defective, you know they are most likely to work.
Probably why people saying that is cause they never listed a Size over 32GB on their site, or that the system only accepts fat 32 Format. Also i must ask, are the games you own, digitial release only games or also Retail games?
Most digital release games don't have large data size, like the retail games do. To be honest i do wonder what the largest file size for the carts they use is. NDS max size were 256MB and i think GBA were 32 MB while Snes were 6 (8 is possible but was never used according to some, same story for sega, Pier solar is 8MB on genesis)

Anyway. If you are buying digital only games, most likely you wouldn't fill it up so fast as opposed to reatail games. I dunno, is just my guest based on observations. :)

Olmectron

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Probably why people saying that is cause they never listed a Size over 32GB on their site, or that the system only accepts fat 32 Format. Also i must ask, are the games you own, digitial release only games or also Retail games?
Most digital release games don't have large data size, like the retail games do. To be honest i do wonder what the largest file size for the carts they use is. NDS max size were 256MB and i think GBA were 32 MB while Snes were 6 (8 is possible but was never used according to some, same story for sega, Pier solar is 8MB on genesis)

Anyway. If you are buying digital only games, most likely you wouldn't fill it up so fast as opposed to reatail games. I dunno, is just my guest based on observations. :)
I buy everything digital. So yeah, many of them are retail releases as digital games. :)

Nintendo never made tests probably because they originally were not planning to sell retail games on the eShop. I remember being so happy because they released New Super Mario Bros. 2 on the eShop, and after it, many more came. I could go all digital with my console, so I just sold the three physical games I had bought, and started buying every single good game on the eShop.

For my Wii U it's the same. I bought a 1TB drive just for filling it up with digital games.

And for those who like physical stuff, of course. They would never even reach 16GB if they bought only exclusive digital games, even if they were that many.

Last edited by Olmectron,

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I buy everything digital. So yeah, many of them are retail releases as digital games. :)

Nintendo never made tests probably because they originally were not planning to sell retail games on the eShop. I remember being so happy because they released New Super Mario Bros. 2 on the eShop, and after it, many more came. I could go all digital with my console, so I just sold the three physical games I had bought, and started buying every single good game on the eShop.

For my Wii U is the same. I bought a 1TB drive just for filling it up with digital games.

And for those who likes physical stuff, of course. They would never even reach 16GB if they bought only exclusive digital games, even if they were that many.
Yeah that what i was saying, Digital only games are intended to be small file size to allow faster downloads. Retail games can be bought from eshop, but most likely have a size problem. (metal gear solid 3d) But is a option, To be honest buying all games digitally is conveinent, but hogs space for other content. I never bought a vita game retail, and i filled a 32GB card cause i buy discount games with Playstation plus. (Most were free) So you can expect retail games to be the main reason why your card is filled faster. While VC games being smallest, DSIware, second, 3DS eshop being third, and Retail largest. That is what i mean, is just observation.

Most likely if you want more space, Buy multiple Sd cards just like harddrives, or storage devices or buy retail games and digitial only. Again, i think nintendo has set a clear standard for what they inteneded. :P

D

Deleted User

Yeah that what i was saying, Digital only games are intended to be small file size to allow faster downloads. Retail games can be bought from eshop, but most likely have a size problem. (metal gear solid 3d) But is a option, To be honest buying all games digitally is conveinent, but hogs space for other content. I never bought a vita game retail, and i filled a 32GB card cause i buy discount games with Playstation plus. (Most were free) So you can expect retail games to be the main reason why your card is filled faster. While VC games being smallest, DSIware, second, 3DS eshop being third, and Retail largest. That is what i mean, is just observation.

Most likely if you want more space, Buy multiple Sd cards just like harddrives, or storage devices or buy retail games and digitial only. Again, i think nintendo has set a clear standard for what they inteneded. :P

At least Nintendo used a standard storage medium and didn't lock us out of using higher capacities entirely, my wallet aches when I think about the 64GB card I upgraded my Vita to.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
At least Nintendo used a standard storage medium and didn't lock us out of using higher capacities entirely, my wallet aches when I think about the 64GB card I upgraded my Vita to.
Well i mean, yeah that sucks on the vita, so does the encrypted file system. But anti hack prevention? If not hacking the system would prevent that then it was our own fault. Besides, i thought we was done with memory cards 2 generations ago with game cube and ps2, O_O

The history repeats itself, Video game crash of 1983, happening again in 2018? ET Returns with a remake? VIDEO GAME POSSIBLE?

NO!

We can't let that happen.

D

Deleted User

Well i mean, yeah that sucks on the vita, so does the encrypted file system. But anti hack prevention? If not hacking the system would prevent that then it was our own fault. Besides, i thought we was done with memory cards 2 generations ago with game cube and ps2, O_O

The history repeats itself, Video game crash of 1983, happening again in 2018? ET Returns with a remake? VIDEO GAME POSSIBLE?

NO!

I think Sony shot itself in the foot for the handheld market with two consecutive flops (PSPgo before this which also had a Sony card format although it wasn't as bad as the Vita cards) but they'll stay afloat with their PS4 money certainly. Nintendo is crushing it in the handheld market and has been for years so there's no chance of any crash in the industry in my eyes but I hope Sony does try again with a new handheld but that future is looking grim. I can't imagine a world without a Nintendo handheld competitor and I love the PSP and Vita, I hope they come back with a no gimmick handheld with some proper processing power and expandable storage.

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sony has just recently critcized the handheld industry so I don't think there'll be a 3rd Sony handheld. They basically abandoned the Vita a few years ago. Nintendo has won the handheld console war although they still have competition with mobile phones.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They did what they thought would prevent hackers from exploiting their system, to say it didn't work, it did. But it also cost the user fanbase to decline for the vita cause of it. The memory card is overpriced for a low capacity storage compared to the content being large in file size. The system suffers from not having enough support. Most games are ports from existing one instead of just being a stand alone game. (Crossbuy and crossplay is highly encouraged) So buying most games on ps4 is done while ignoring the vita.

While least those memory cards gaurntee working, with no problems, where nintendo, have more problems with hackers, and more support for the system, with games and content. But is just a matter of perspective, next mobile consonle won't have the same thing 3ds has, will mostly be encrypted data and probably built instorage or special case memory cards. Who knows.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

NO!

I think Microsoft and Sony may be heading down that path, but Nintendo is clearly avoiding it. The Atari ET game was unplayable, but so are many recent games for PSBone and PC. There was a Batman game recently that was recalled due to being literally unplayable.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    I @ idonthave: :)