Problem with media player on Wii

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by JFTS, Dec 31, 2012.

Dec 31, 2012

JFTS New Member

Message Count:
    Fiji
    I wanted to watch some films on my Wii, so I downloaded Wiimc player. I set everything and all seemed to work when it displayed a black screen showing "DSI Error occurred" and a bunch of code lines, followed by freezing. I turned the console off and repeated the process. That time, the movie played for 2 minutes and then the console froze again.

After that I downloaded mplayer. This player is of less quality than the first and supports subtitles only on the Latin alphabet. However it did play the movie with another problem. Much often the colours of the film would have a purple light and after 3-4 seconds they would turn to normal again. The movie is on 720p and my Wii is connected with PAL RGB on a CRT TV. Could it be that the resolution is larger and the Wii cannot render it fast enough?

What would you suggest?

JFTS New Member

Message Count:
    Fiji
    Isn't there someone who knows how to deal with this problem?
    • Newcomer

miihackwii New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Not sure how to fix your problem, but playing movies in 720p is a bit much for the wii to handle, as the wii only outputs 480i

JFTS New Member

Message Count:
    Fiji
    That pretty much answers half of my questions, however I did encounter problem with standard resolution videos too.
    • Newcomer

miihackwii New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    Are you playing the movies via dvd disc or usb?

JFTS New Member

Message Count:
    Fiji
    I load them through USB flash drive.
    • Newcomer

miihackwii New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    are you using the latest version of wiimc v1.3.2? I have just give this a try with a standard dvd rip and it works great, I tried a 720p and I just get a load of glitching.

JFTS New Member

Message Count:
    Fiji
    I really don't remember what version I'm running, but I guess it's not that old. I downloaded it just a month before.
    • Newcomer

miihackwii New Member

Message Count:
    United Kingdom
    well the new version came out on the 1st of January.

wiimc v1.3.2

JFTS New Member

Message Count:
    Fiji
    I'll check it out later. Thanks for the information!
    Last edited by JFTS, Jan 10, 2013
    • Newcomer

CyberTails New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Actually, I had a DSI Error myself for whenever I try to play YouTube on WiiMC, I'm using 1.3.2

DroRox Ambassador of Ooo

Message Count:
    United States
    When I updated WiiMC to the latest version (well it was the latest version like 4 months ago) it stopped reading my HDD altogether. Tried both ports and everything but it just won't read it now. Any help?

Dogway New Member

Message Count:
    Spain
    For me the best media player for Wii is mplayer CE, I personally use the r.619 (not latest) because newer versions don't recognize my HDD's. It accepts more formats than WiiMC and is more compatible for all Wiis (homebrew versions, required IOSes, etc)
    There's only one annoying bug in AC-3 audio that it sometimes makes a repetitive sound. Just play a healthy video, go back to the AC-3 video and it should sound good as supposed.

nakata6790 True Player

Message Count:
    Greece
    OP, if your problem still persists: Mplayer supports greek subtitles and greek fonts in the directories, i know cause that's what i use and have set up.

Also, try to find WiiMC plus (it's on the official WiiMC forums) it's much better than regular WiiMC.
    WiiMC is generally better and easier due to pointer controls and configuration, however MPlayer is more stable and has smoother playback on videos larger than 576i.

P.S. Έλληνας κι εγώ, αν θες στα στελνω σε πμ τα apps.
    Last edited by nakata6790, Jan 20, 2013

RchUncleSkeleton Skeletron 9000

Message Count:
    United States
    It also depends on the codec used and the way the video is encoded. WiiMC or mPlayer might not use the latest and greatest codecs therefore you may not get playback reliability or quality. The same things happens on PCs if you're using old outdated codecs trying to run certain file/compression types. The last time I tried running a video file through WiiMC that would not play correctly was mkv files of the TV show Doug, I even tried transcoding them into mp4 files but it must have been the encode method as they were even worse after transcoding. This was about a year ago so perhaps the latest version has been updated with newer, better codecs.

SPONSORED LINKS