Gaming Probably the best console commercial in the history of ever...

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Clever cinematography? They lumped a bunch of gameplay scenarios together. I could do that. Now the baby commercial was really innovative; it got you thinking about the PS3. Granted, it creeped you out; that's how original it really was. It's the same idea behind the banned Sprite commercial; it draws you in because of how unique it is. It's also like Heidi Klum's Guitar Hero commercial; you'll DEFINITELY want to play that game.
There's a big difference between the baby commercial and this, the difference being that the baby commercial speaks of nothing - it's just creepy images. It catches your attention, but for all the wrong reasons. It's a creepy video which does not serve its original purpose of advertising, in other words, it's a bad advert. A creepy baby doll is not clever - it's creepy for the sake of being creepy and serves no purpose whatsoever other than shocking the viewer.
I appreciate how wise you are and stuff, but this is just something anyone can do. Just get a bunch of game footage and lump it into a short video. Real creative.
Edit: I was hoping they'd come out with a creepy innovative commercial for the Playstation 4. It seems a bit strange to break the cycle just because more 14 year olds will be playing this game. They're so mature, but they can't handle a creepy innovative baby commercial like we can. :D
What you're essentially saying is that this advert is terrible because it advertises something it's supposed to advertise. :rolleyes:

I on the other hand give it points for advertising the PlayStation brand by means of familiar gaming-related images, but at the same time it does it in a way that does not blast you in the face with the console itself.

Instead, it shows you certain scenarios of gameplay, putting the characters directy in them, however the focus is not on the gaming aspect itself, but on the fact that the characters are having fun with each other. The commercial gives the impression of advertising "having fun" more so than the actual system - that's clever and to the point.

It's not really a matter of whether or not the creepy adverts were artistic or not, it's a matter of whether they were effective. This appears to be more effective because it's relevant to the advertised product while at the same time it has certain artistic values which make it a fun thing to watch. Moreover, it speaks to a wider audience. "Creepy" doesn't necessarily mean"artistic" when it's only creepy for the sake of the shock value, not a greater idea.
No offense but you seem like the kind of Sony fan that would sleep next to his ps4 like it was his wife...
I don't see why you'd say that, seeing that plenty of other users seem to enjoy the advert as well. In fact, there's not a whole lot of "PS4" in this PS4 advert.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
*snip*
In fact, there's not a whole lot of "PS4" in this PS4 advert.

Which makes it not an advert. Nintendo could take this video and slap the Wii U stamp on it and say, "look at these great games that are coming to our system." If you're going to advertise something, then you've got to mention what company is being advertised in the advertisement itself. It's like seeing a Little Debbie commercial, but there's no way to connect it with them since you don't see their logo anywhere in the ad or even hear it mentioned.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Which makes it not an advert. Nintendo could take this video and slap the Wii U stamp on it and say, "look at these great games that are coming to our system." If you're going to advertise something, then you've got to mention what company is being advertised in the advertisement itself. It's like seeing a Little Debbie commercial, but there's no way to connect it with them since you don't see their logo anywhere in the ad or even hear it mentioned.
You can tell on first glance that this is a PlayStation advert. If you're in any way familiar with the presented PS4 games, you'll notice that the car has a Drive Club logo on it and the shooter scene is clearly from KillZone. If that's not obvious enough, there's a PlayStation logo on-screen at all times plus a PlayStation 4 logo at the end.

To me, the baby doll advertises nothing - sure, you can see a PlayStation console on the floor. You can also see a creepy baby doll, but you wouldn't say it's a creepy baby doll advert, would you?

At the end of the day, this advert shows what's relevant in a gaming context - gaming scenarios. The advert that you seem to like presents us with images of a creepy baby doll that has nothing to do with the product it advertises whatsoever.

Your argument that it's a better advert also falls flat when you realize that the "8 million views" levels of interest were generated by the shock value and the controversy around the advert, not by the advertised product.

Of course these are all matters of taste - to me, the creepy doll was a pretentious attempt at making the viewer interested in the product not by presenting something relevant to it but by shocking the viewer, to you this one is tendentious and boring - both approaches are entirely subjective. :)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Ah, Sega back when they still had a clue!
They never really "lost" the clue - all of their consoles were revolutionary in many ways, the problems sprang from superficial reasons like coding difficulties or high price points. I can't think of any "bad" SEGA consoles - only some unsuccessful ones.

irondoom

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I liked the one linked by OP, mainly because of the song. It probably resonates with a larger audience as well. Though the baby one was my personal favorite. But then I've always been more of a David cronenburg than a Michael bay kind of guy.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes this commercial is far far better than the old possesed doll or many others over the years.

The only down side is they make the two guys seem somewhat romantically involved... talking about drinking sangria and crap... lol

I miss the old Zelda commercial for the NES.... lol

Almost makes some of the old Sony commercials look sane.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night