Hacking Priiloader Questions

iCantThinkOfaName

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi guys,

So i purchased one of the original (I think) Wii models way back when they first came out and the PS3 came out like a year later so the Wii has been gathering dust for quite a while. Anyway we've moved onto PS4 and I decided to get the Wii out! :D So at this point the console is completley stock. No mods.

So I updated to 4.3E and all that jazz and ran LetterBomb. I have HBC installed and I have USB Loader GX installed as a Wii channel on the system menu (not on SD card). Everything works great.

I'm all very new to the Wii modding scene but I want a Wii setup with my HDD and all my games backed up to it, but I dont want to have the SD card plugged in indefinitely.

I noticed a few of my original discs were prompting updates, which I dont want to do. I know that you can block disc updates with Priiloader but from what I understand, Priiloader runs on the SD card.

So my question is...
Can I setup my Wii with USB Loader GX, and block disc updates without needing to keep the SD card in?

Also, I am aware that I wont have brick protection without BootMii and Priiloader, but once I have it setup I wont be using HBC at all. All I am using homebrew for is running my backups on USB.

Many thanks in advance!

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't think you needed Priiloader once you had it and the boot dol you want installed, but if you're using USB Loader GX it will completely ignore the updates on disc images. Only the system menu detects those and tries to run them.

iCantThinkOfaName

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I didn't think you needed Priiloader once you had it and the boot dol you want installed, but if you're using USB Loader GX it will completely ignore the updates on disc images. Only the system menu detects those and tries to run them.

Hi greywolf,
I'm trying to make it fool proof, so if one of the kids turns it on, they arent going to launch the update on the system menu. At the moment i dont have Priiloader installed, so I dont have the wii launching directly into Usb Loader GX when its turned on.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you have everything on the HDD and put the original discs away there would be no way to launch the updates. :)

From what I remember you should be able to install the USB Loader GX forwarder channel on Priiloader and you shouldn't need the SD anymore. I think it's only necessary if you want to launch BootMii.

iCantThinkOfaName

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
If you have everything on the HDD and put the original discs away there would be no way to launch the updates. :)

I'm trying to keep it as stock and as user friendly (idiot proof) as possible. Meaning, if somebody wanted to insert an original game, or if I borrow a friends game, then I can launch it by normal method.

From what I remember you should be able to install the USB Loader GX forwarder channel on Priiloader and you shouldn't need the SD anymore. I think it's only necessary if you want to launch BootMii.

So you're saying I can install Priiloader on the Wii and once I've disabled disc updates I can remove SD permanently?

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think so. Give it a try. At worst you'd still be stuck at this stage. :D

I don't have my Wii set up to autoboot anything but I do have Priiloader installed and don't have anything on my SD related to it, just my VC/WiiWare and apps folder.

I do know the hacks menu options don't require an SD card. I also have disc/network updates blocked.

Last edited by GreyWolf,

iCantThinkOfaName

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I think so. Give it a try. At worst you'd still be stuck at this stage. :D

I don't have my Wii set up to autoboot anything but I do have Priiloader installed and don't have anything on my SD related to it, just my VC/WiiWare and apps folder.

I do know the hacks menu options don't require an SD card. I also have disc/network updates blocked.

Okay brilliant thanks for your input :)

Can I ask you to help me install Priiloader? I'm terrified of bricking the console. It seems so complicated. For example, the wiibrew page for Priiloader says not to use it with custom IOSs. How do I know if i have a custom IOS? To get USB Loader GX I had to install:
IOS247[37]-d2x-v7.wad
IOS248[57]-d2x-v7.wad
IOS249[56]-d2x-v7.wad
IOS250[38]-d2x-v7.wad
USBLoader_GX_V3_0_UNLR_Channel_AHBPROT.wad

Although I have no idea what the above means.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited by iCantThinkOfaName,

almmiron

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I didnt wanted to create new topic.

I've been used priiloader 0.7(r142) for a few years on my wii. IOS v80 Systemmenu v513.

When both my usb (where I storage all homebrew channel apps, and games for GC/Wii) is plugged in, if I turn wii while holding reset, priiloader is too slow to navigate. I couldnt find information on why this happens. If some file is generating some conflict (I dont see none), or whatever.

Last edited by almmiron,

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay brilliant thanks for your input :)

Can I ask you to help me install Priiloader? I'm terrified of bricking the console. It seems so complicated. For example, the wiibrew page for Priiloader says not to use it with custom IOSs. How do I know if i have a custom IOS? To get USB Loader GX I had to install:
IOS247[37]-d2x-v7.wad
IOS248[57]-d2x-v7.wad
IOS249[56]-d2x-v7.wad
IOS250[38]-d2x-v7.wad
USBLoader_GX_V3_0_UNLR_Channel_AHBPROT.wad

Although I have no idea what the above means.

Thanks for your help!

I think it just means when installing it. You just need the installer app, which you should start through the HBC. It doesn't use a cIOS, it just uses stock IOS58.

Those d2x IOS should be fine, but v7 is rather old. Also, it's more common to use IOS249[56] and IOS250[57]. You'll just have to remember to use 248 for titles that don't work with 249 rather than 250. I'd recommend using ModMii to build at least v8. (You shouldn't need the v10 beta unless v8 doesn't work with your HDD.)

The UNLR channel is the full channel version of USB Loader GX and is old and no longer supported. You should remove it and use the "UNEO" forwarder one instead. It will look on your SB/HDD for the real loader's .dol file and boot it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I didnt wanted to create new topic.

I've been used priiloader 0.7(r142) for a few years on my wii. IOS v80 Systemmenu v513.

When both my usb (where I storage all homebrew channel apps, and games for GC/Wii) is plugged in, if I turn wii while holding reset, priiloader is too slow to navigate. I couldnt find information on why this happens. If some file is generating some conflict (I dont see none), or whatever.

Hmm... maybe try updating Priiloader to 0.81?

Reactions: almmiron

almmiron

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Thanks @GreyWolf , but Ive done that. To 0.8 and 0.81, but still slowdown. The Hacks_hash.ini file is on nand, so, if I took off both usb and sd, the priiloader works normally and fast. If only sd connected, it stays fast as well. If usb in plugged in, then the main interface slow down, but is strange, cause, if I enter in any of the options of main priiloader screen (settings for example), it becomes fast like it should be. Its only the main screen of priiloader that is slowed down.

Also, I want to install priiloader in neek2o(rev96) too. Modmii says that already installed, but I couldnt start it holding reset while loading sneek nand. I've see THIS and THAT, but didnt help.

Thanks again, since now.

GreyWolf

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks @GreyWolf , but Ive done that. To 0.8 and 0.81, but still slowdown. The Hacks_hash.ini file is on nand, so, if I took off both usb and sd, the priiloader works normally and fast. If only sd connected, it stays fast as well. If usb in plugged in, then the main interface slow down, but is strange, cause, if I enter in any of the options of main priiloader screen (settings for example), it becomes fast like it should be. Its only the main screen of priiloader that is slowed down.

Also, I want to install priiloader in neek2o(rev96) too. Modmii says that already installed, but I couldnt start it holding reset while loading sneek nand. I've see THIS and THAT, but didnt help.

Thanks again, since now.

Priiloader doesn't work on NEEK. It doesn't really need it as you can just replace the dumped NAND on your drive if something happens to it. It could just be something wrong with the HDD you're trying to use. The system menu doesn't know about or access any storage devices except the NAND, the SD card slot and the optical drive.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/IihvJBjUpNE?si=CsvoEbwzNKFf0GAm cool