Hardware [PPOTW] Is the Vita TV a good idea?

Is the Vita TV a good idea?

• Yes

Votes: 158 34.8%
  • No

Votes: 171 37.7%
  • Maybe

Votes: 119 26.2%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 6 1.3%

• Total voters

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'll buy one to steam ps4 games to, but I can't imagine how bad Vita games would look blown up to a 4K screen... which will definitely be a standard resolution a few years into the next-gen cycle.

PSP games had remasters (God of War) and PS2 games as well, those looked just fine. And also, 4K screens won't become a standard for a while. They're still expensive, and most people are happy with just their normal HDTV's right now.

But anyways, the Vita already upscales to 1080i. They definitely won't look that bad.

reprep

Trophies
Website
melankolisavar.blogspot.com
XP
Country
PSP games are 480 x 272, vita games are 960 x 544 (games using native resolution of vita) and full hd tv is 1080p.

in short 1 pixel in PSP and 4 pixels in Vita will be shown by 16 pixels in full 1080p. not too bad for Vita, we will see how things will go with PSP, though i like the PSP remaster mode in my PS3.

i even enjoy my pokemon yellow (160x144) in my 55 inch full hd tv.

MelodieOctavia

Just your friendly neighborhood Transbian.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
yourmom.com
XP
Country
Djibouti
Its a good idea except for a few caveats. One of them being a huge one.

1. Doesn't support external storage besides Sony's overpriced proprietary cards. Huge issue, especially for a set-top box.
2. No way to emulate touch panel, unless the PS4 controller is supported, and even then, there would be no way to emulate the back panel.

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Vita TV trailer thingie showed the guy using it while his 3 friends play on Vitas. Isn't that slightly narcissistic? lol

"You guys sit next to me and play on your vitas, while I play on the big TV and with a controller"

"You guys should totally come back to my place. I have a swimming pool.. and 3 much smaller swimming pools for the rest of you"

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
20130510150307!Tearaway_boxart.jpg

No.

Reactions: GameWinner

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Its a good idea except for a few caveats. One of them being a huge one.

1. Doesn't support external storage besides Sony's overpriced proprietary cards. Huge issue, especially for a set-top box.
2. No way to emulate touch panel, unless the PS4 controller is supported, and even then, there would be no way to emulate the back panel.

The touch screen works as you press down on L3/R3 and that acts as the touch screen. Though to be honest, I can't see that working well for a lot of games (except flower). As for the rear touch panel, it'd probably be something stupid like pressing L2/R2 and then... wait, no that wouldn't work.

I don't know, there's just too many fucking compatibility issues with this thing. A lot of games that require both touch panels are fucked (Flower for example).

See when I first heard of the Vita TV, I thought it was something like the Vita would stream what it sees to the thing which shows up on the TV, and the Vita itself acts as the controller. That's what I thought and that's why I was excited. Then I found out what it really was, and now, yeah no, not too excited for it.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The touch screen works as you press down on L3/R3 and that acts as the touch screen. Though to be honest, I can't see that working well for a lot of games (except flower). As for the rear touch panel, it'd probably be something stupid like pressing L2/R2 and then... wait, no that wouldn't work.

I don't know, there's just too many fucking compatibility issues with this thing. A lot of games that require both touch panels are fucked (Flower for example).

See when I first heard of the Vita TV, I thought it was something like the Vita would stream what it sees to the thing which shows up on the TV, and the Vita itself acts as the controller. That's what I thought and that's why I was excited. Then I found out what it really was, and now, yeah no, not too excited for it.
L3 button is pressed for front touch screen. R3 button is pressed for rear touch panel.

zeello

The reason we can't have nice things.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not just make it so that the Vita can be the controller? That's a huuuge missed opportunity on Sony's part.
I think it would defeat the point of getting a Vita TV.

Then again, it's not clear what the point of Vita TV is.
On second thought, I think I just figured out what the point of it is. Maybe it's so poor people can play God Eater, Soul Sacrifice, etc.

Is the lack of touch really a big deal though? I would have assumed that some games would be patched so that they no longer need touch. (so they become Vita TV compatible) But only Japanese games and only if they are especially popular and don't use touch heavily. I can almost imagined some of the "Monster Hunter clones" having light touch elements somewhere (like a minigame) but they get "ironed out" in an update.

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I think it would defeat the point of getting a Vita TV.

Then again, it's not clear what the point of Vita TV is.
On second thought, I think I just figured out what the point of it is. Maybe it's so poor people can play God Eater, Soul Sacrifice, etc.

Is the lack of touch really a big deal though? I would have assumed that some games would be patched so that they no longer need touch. (so they become Vita TV compatible) But only Japanese games and only if they are especially popular and don't use touch heavily. I can almost imagined some of the "Monster Hunter clones" having light touch elements somewhere (like a minigame) but they get "ironed out" in an update.
Vita TV is only compatible with about 25% Vita games. Most game can be easily patched and I imagined either developers were lazy or publisher feared it might cannibalized sales of console counterpart. Granted there are some games that just can't be easily patched, such as Gravity Rush.

It is compatible with every PSP and PS1 games on PSN though.

Vita TV purpose is to compete with other microconsole, such as Oyua, and to serve as a streaming device.

anhminh

Pirate since 2010
Trophies
XP
Country
Vietnam
Nintendo: Try to make theỉr console WiiU work like handheld
Sony: Try to make their handheld Vita work like console.
What the common between those two? They don't success.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
Now that I own the bloody thing it feels fantastic but they ruined it by locking PSN to japanese accounts only and couple games simply refuses to launch. If they fix those two things then it's more than worth the $80 - now it's just P4G box.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: :rofl2: :rofl2: