Gaming Potential NieR Replicant Translation Project

DarkKaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Willing to help as well. I can't speak Japanese but willing to write a few tools to help speed up the project, if it isn't dead yet.
The first game is my favorite game of all time and I never got around to trying Replicant.

DarkKaine

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Anyone still interested in this? I developed a file parser for the NIER_TEXT.TXD file.
I got my hands on both the Japanese Replicant and Gestalt versions.
The plan is to compare the strings of both versions and dump the ID's that mismatch.
From there on out, I can easily replace the strings that are the same from the English version.
All that's left is handling other formats but they all seem extremely straightforward.
Any translators around? Here are all the differences from NIER_TEXT.TXD that need manual translation:

https://pastebin.com/9WjYDcZx

Last edited by DarkKaine,

Arizato

Memento Mori
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Anyone still interested in this? I developed a file parser for the NIER_TEXT.TXD file.
I got my hands on both the Japanese Replicant and Gestalt versions.
The plan is to compare the strings of both versions and dump the ID's that mismatch.
From there on out, I can easily replace the strings that are the same from the English version.
All that's left is handling other formats but they all seem extremely straightforward.
Any translators around? Here are all the differences from NIER_TEXT.TXD that need manual translation:

https://pastebin.com/9WjYDcZx

Holy crap. For some reason I didn't get any notifications from this thread. Are you able to detect and see the differences in the parts that have vastly different dialogue from the english script to the japanese voice acting?

I am still sitting on the files myself and I am willing to continue this if we can get some progress.

EDIT: I have contacted the people who posted much earlier about being able to translate via E-mail. @Shigaion @Niseboy

Regarding a potential remaster that could render this project "useless". I say we try to finish this as long as a remaster isn't announced, since I really want to play Replicant with the japanese voice acted parts at least faithfully translated and I want to give others the chance to do so as well. I love the whole Drakengard/NieR series and I would love to be able to finish this project with the people who are willing to help.

Last edited by Arizato,

Wonder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can't really help out with translation or anything, but I have a CFW PS3. I figured it'd help out a lot if we had discord. I made a discord but I'm going to refrain from linking the server because you guys might have one already. I hope you guys can get this project on the right path. Thanks.

Professional Shitposter
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
i just finished all 4 endings of replicant, and im interested in the project (all members in this thread seem pretty inactive but might as well try posting). i dont really have any experience translating and im not fluent in japanese but i know enough to understand most of the game without much trouble (exceptions are for example the cryptic gray loading screens). i guess i also have some rudimentary (for now) programming knowledge which i honestly dont think might be of much use in this case but who knows, maybe it can help with parsing text files or something. my discord ID is 730#8471 in case i dont get notifications from this thread and someone wants to contact me some day.

Sandvich_Hero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i just finished all 4 endings of replicant, and im interested in the project (all members in this thread seem pretty inactive but might as well try posting). i dont really have any experience translating and im not fluent in japanese but i know enough to understand most of the game without much trouble (exceptions are for example the cryptic gray loading screens). i guess i also have some rudimentary (for now) programming knowledge which i honestly dont think might be of much use in this case but who knows, maybe it can help with parsing text files or something. my discord ID is 730#8471 in case i dont get notifications from this thread and someone wants to contact me some day.
There is a WIP retranslation here:

Zan_Alvarez

Trophies
Website
papajohns.com
XP
Country
United States
There is a WIP retranslation here:

Thanks for the shout out.
So yeah, turns out that all you need to translate this is Notepad, the Japanese text files, the English text files, and a copy of the English text files to edit.
(Using Notepad++ has the potential to bug up the radio text, so using stock notepad is recommended.)
I changed the title from Translation to Localization because I (ironically) can't read Japanese and have been using Google Translate and Jisho.org to get by.
I also do not have a jailbroken PS3 so testing the game used to be out of the question, until this week the RPCS3 emulator was updated to run Nier at almost full speed.
So I have no excuse as to why it's been taking me so long, other than that I'm just lazy.

By the way help is appreciated, especially if you can read Japanese.

bearzatti

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the shout out.
So yeah, turns out that all you need to translate this is Notepad, the Japanese text files, the English text files, and a copy of the English text files to edit.
(Using Notepad++ has the potential to bug up the radio text, so using stock notepad is recommended.)
I changed the title from Translation to Localization because I (ironically) can't read Japanese and have been using Google Translate and Jisho.org to get by.
I also do not have a jailbroken PS3 so testing the game used to be out of the question, until this week the RPCS3 emulator was updated to run Nier at almost full speed.
So I have no excuse as to why it's been taking me so long, other than that I'm just lazy.

By the way help is appreciated, especially if you can read Japanese.

I've actually been looking for the English and Japanese text files respectively for awhile — I'm not a particularly advanced reader, but I can definitely help translate here and there as well as help get things moving as a whole. Fortunately, while the English translation changes certain things around a bit, it gives you something to pull from since the fundamental meaning/point to Nier's dialogue doesn't change much therefore making the process a bit more convenient.

Anyhow, you're welcome to message me whenever.

ayelorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
I cannot read Japanese, but I know how to use Notepad and also have jailbroken ps3.

In case someone needs my crazy skills - feel free to PM me.

bearzatti

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey. So, I have the Japanese and English scripts and am actually in the process of translating and editing the English script — this isn't much of a problem or hassle for me, since fundamentally, the meat of the game is the same. It's mostly Nier's dialogue that differs, alongside some of Weiss', Kaine's and Emil's here and there. Still definitely worth playing, as they are different experiences.

With the progress I'm making, I'm pretty sure I can finish this soon. However, making the patch itself is the issue here. If anyone can help me with that procedure and then test it for me, I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Professional Shitposter
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Hey. So, I have the Japanese and English scripts and am actually in the process of translating and editing the English script — this isn't much of a problem or hassle for me, since fundamentally, the meat of the game is the same. It's mostly Nier's dialogue that differs, alongside some of Weiss', Kaine's and Emil's here and there. Still definitely worth playing, as they are different experiences.

With the progress I'm making, I'm pretty sure I can finish this soon. However, making the patch itself is the issue here. If anyone can help me with that procedure and then test it for me, I'd be grateful. Thanks.
Now I'm too busy with other stuff to participate, but I still believe just translating the few words that are different isn't enough. A lot of stuff is completely changed in the English translation regardless of the MC and in my opinion it would require a lot of retranslation in some parts.
It fits Gestalt because that game is only in English so it's not like there's Japanese dialogue with strange English subs, but if you were to put Gestalt's dialogue as it is over Replicant, only accounting for the differences in MC, I think it would be a terrible translation.

GrimoireWeiss

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Greetings. Is the project still active ? I would like to offer my help. I am good both in english and japanese, I have a hacked PS3 and have a copy of Nier Replicant. I really get triggered by the "translation" of that game whenever I hear the voice lines. I don't want anyone else who understands japanese to feel the same. So, yeah, tell me if you think I could be useful !

Sabarek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello.

I know one person who is translating in her free time to practice English. It is possible for me to ask her to translate the text as she is fluent in Japanese and I'd do proof-reading, presentation and coordinate her. But we need tech people because both of us don't know how to even start the technical part...

I will message everyone in this topic who showed an interest, so please respond.
Also you can contact me at discord Aidesu#0760

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Look, no offense man but maybe you should stop.

Automata has already sold 300k in Japan, and although I don't care about Metacritic, the masses sure do and once they see that Nier is a high 80 or low 90 they'll buy it. The game will INDEED sell like "hot cakes" which means yoko will get money to remaster Nier.

Don't waste your time with this project, especially since if a remaster comes out, it'd probably be 60 fps.
This is not true.

You will be surprised but majority of people never look back on previous titles, even if they have good scores. Take a look at Red Dead Redemption II forum boards: the first game had so much hype and so much love from both "critics" and players, yet the folk keeps asking "so, should I play the first game?". Most never do play it. And that's a huge Western series. Nobody is really going to bother buying the first Nier. The people that would bother are the ones who are here and the ones who already played Replicant via English / Russian translation project or even in Japanese. And this project is for us.
Another point I'd like to make is that Square Enix isn't going to release the remake just like that. It's very difficult because they can't just ignore Gestalt and they also can't spend money remaking two games. From a technical point of view, they are 2 different games which will require two different teams.

Even if the remaster will be focused on Replicant, you know how the translation will turn out - they'll never use all the honorifics, they'll never try to make the translation close to original and it'll still have missing text or changes. Even games that were localized without adding any dub, translators often take the liberty of changing the text and I am sure they'll do so with Replicant. Gaming localization companies are poorly organized and have very little care about the art value of their projects.

In any way, even if the remaster will happen (there are 0 news at this point and the Automata boom is getting quiet by the day), it will not be perfect. All you need to make it perfect is to have the tech people and 1-2 Japanese fluent people.

Sandvich_Hero

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello.

I know one person who is translating in her free time to practice English. It is possible for me to ask her to translate the text as she is fluent in Japanese and I'd do proof-reading, presentation and coordinate her. But we need tech people because both of us don't know how to even start the technical part...

I will message everyone in this topic who showed an interest, so please respond.
Also you can contact me at discord Aidesu#0760

This is not true.

You will be surprised but majority of people never look back on previous titles, even if they have good scores. Take a look at Red Dead Redemption II forum boards: the first game had so much hype and so much love from both "critics" and players, yet the folk keeps asking "so, should I play the first game?". Most never do play it. And that's a huge Western series. Nobody is really going to bother buying the first Nier. The people that would bother are the ones who are here and the ones who already played Replicant via English / Russian translation project or even in Japanese. And this project is for us.
Another point I'd like to make is that Square Enix isn't going to release the remake just like that. It's very difficult because they can't just ignore Gestalt and they also can't spend money remaking two games. From a technical point of view, they are 2 different games which will require two different teams.

Even if the remaster will be focused on Replicant, you know how the translation will turn out - they'll never use all the honorifics, they'll never try to make the translation close to original and it'll still have missing text or changes. Even games that were localized without adding any dub, translators often take the liberty of changing the text and I am sure they'll do so with Replicant. Gaming localization companies are poorly organized and have very little care about the art value of their projects.

In any way, even if the remaster will happen (there are 0 news at this point and the Automata boom is getting quiet by the day), it will not be perfect. All you need to make it perfect is to have the tech people and 1-2 Japanese fluent people.

What technical part? all the files can be edited with a text editor and work fine in game.

Flatopia

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be easier to check the gestalt japanese text, compare what's different, take what's the same then just copy/paste the official TL into those spots?
This is, of course, assuming the official translation was already accurate-enough.
And this re-localization doesn't seem to make the goal of a direct translation, so for minor scenes that lack dialogue- such as Side Quests or random blurbs, is the effort to translate it all to get a slightly different result that conveys the same thing worth it in the end? This is of course that the project was intended to redo all those minor dialogues.

Taking all that to consideration, this doesn't seem like such an arduous task if someone can supply the Gestalt japanese scripts and Gestalt english scripts to compare with the Japanese replicant scripts. I could be dead wrong, of course, but this doesn't seem too impossible.

Sabarek

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be easier to check the gestalt japanese text, compare what's different, take what's the same then just copy/paste the official TL into those spots?
This is, of course, assuming the official translation was already accurate-enough.
And this re-localization doesn't seem to make the goal of a direct translation, so for minor scenes that lack dialogue- such as Side Quests or random blurbs, is the effort to translate it all to get a slightly different result that conveys the same thing worth it in the end? This is of course that the project was intended to redo all those minor dialogues.

Taking all that to consideration, this doesn't seem like such an arduous task if someone can supply the Gestalt japanese scripts and Gestalt english scripts to compare with the Japanese replicant scripts. I could be dead wrong, of course, but this doesn't seem too impossible.
Gestalt Japanese would be difficult to obtain. There's only a few copies on Ebay and all 60$ with shipping. Plus I personally don't want to play the Gestalt. I finished Replicant, read a lot about differences in dialogue and read some news articles, too... it just feels like Square Enix forced Cavia to change the vision of the game just to appeal to mass Western audience. Even nowadays with Japanese games booming in sales in NA and people caring about original audio and everything... do you think if Automata did not have 2B and her sexy appeal, if the game was focused on 9S and 2B was just a side character like Kaine, would it sell well? I doubt it...
I'm not saying that 2B is all about being sexy, of course. I just mean that the fact that she does have sex appeal is what pushed the game to the masses because Replicant and Automata are equal in their quality, even cut-scenes look damn great after all these years... but Automata has a sexy main-heroine and essentially to get popularity this is all you need in our meme-culture time. Not that I mind her being sexy... just a real shame that Replicant did not make it here and all this happened...

Square Enix is still a samurai company - borders closed off, not paying attention to what's going on in the world. And when they do... they just copy-paste what's popular and add a bit of flavor. Like Sleeping Dogs game which is basically Yakuza but more action, like Tomb Raider which is Uncharted but with a woman, like Just Cause 4 which is older GTA games...
And their localization practices are still awful. They didn't even bother to tell people that Dragon Quest is supposed to be played without any voices; they didn't include Japanese audio in most re-released Final Fantasy games, Drakengard 1-2 came out English only despite the brilliant voice work of Japanese seiyuu and Drakengard 3 had a paid DLC for J. voices... and even if you buy it, you cannot play the downloadable story-content with J. audio. How does it make any sense?

Then I also read some info that was published by Famitsu, some leaks where they said Replicant might be cancelled when Gestalt for Xbox in Japan was announced... And I mean they did admit that father Nier is there just because West would not like shonen Replicant. It's not a secret.

Sooo... what I mean to say is that I am 100% sure that Gestalt happened as a compromise between Yoko Taro and Square Enix, one of those Yoko Taro's "we decided this over beer in a bar" things. The ending doesn't feel right to me and older Nier doesn't feel right to me... it's there just because the business said so.
As you know, Replicant's translation is basically Gestalt with occassional change to "Brother" and "Sister", but the core dialogue was not changed. Father-Nier is extremely rude to people and even if you don't know Japanese fluently, you can figure out that the Niichan did not say what the text says. Then there's the question of story-lines: some things just absolutely do not work. Like time-skip - it makes zero sense to make a time-skip for father... like Kaine relationship, like hints of Emil being interested in Nier... it all makes zero sense if you replace kind brother (who was kind even after the time-skip) with a grumpy "mature and gritty" papa.
This is all extremely sick to me and I do not want to experience it the same way again...

Shortly speaking, I am currently waiting for one person who agreed to help to provide me some updates. I'll give them a few weeks and if not - I'll just start doing it by myself. I will try my best to replace the instances of text that don't match up, I will add all the honorifics and some unique Japanese words like "niichan", so basically fansubs.

And yeah, I'm not sure if I understood you correctly... if you mean that we just take Gestalt's text and replace the Japanese while fixing mistakes, then that's essentially what has already been done - Replicant eng. patch is just a raw Gestalt with a few small fixes of "brother" and "sister" instances but text is mostly Gestalt and it's noticeable.
My goal is to translate it normally and we would keep the things that don't seem out of place, yes. I don't know Japanese but can puzzle out most things, I'm good at that. Plus since I perfectly understand the characters and spent time researching, I can make the necessary changes... but having a person who knows J. would be good, of course which is why I am still waiting for the one person who did contact me.

What technical part? all the files can be edited with a text editor and work fine in game.
Looks like it, yeah. But it would definitely be better if there was someone with experience in that since this is all new to me.

Last edited by Sabarek,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I'm telling on you