Hacking Post your ideas regarding how to hack the 3DS, here

Ismaw34

Trophies
XP
Country
This is probably fake but I haven't seen anyone discuss it.

http://www.nintendo3dshack.com/

Their video accepts comments and likes, and while there are a lot of dislikes there are more likes than dislikes. So I don't know if this means that this is partially true, or people in general have clinical retardation.

I remeber that...
It was a "3ds" ds mode "hombrew loader"
It was laying around in the edge of the forum...
Ckeck that place to see it yourself .... and free LOL
-Ismaw34

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States

The program they're showing right there? You see the screenshot?

I made it as a joke for the EoF here.

The original version with the messed up title is here, notice it matches their screenshot.
(Latest version is here.)

Also notice that the screenshot they give is not what the video shows... that's because they took the video and screenshot from two different fakes.

Their video accepts comments
No, it doesn't. Try it yourself, comments are held for approval. This way all the "this is fake" comments are never approved and thus don't show up, all the REAL comments never show up, only the comments put by the scammer's alternate accounts get through and show up.

Of course you'd know about this trick if you had read the sticky about youtube videos here...

RedCoreZero

Creativity is Power
Banned
Trophies
Website
Google.com
XP
Country
United States

Their video accepts comments and likes, and while there are a lot of likes there are more likes than dislikes. So I don't know if this means that this is partially true, or people in general have clinical retardation.

It's fake, there is some bot or catch to it.There is no proof that it's real,and yes there was a discussion about it,before I joined.They said it would be on the front page if it were real,and spread like a virus.Plus it leads to a survey.

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You know, does anyone know if Hackers with resources to remove BGA parts of the 3DS and swap them between 2 different units. Testing NANDs, maybe SoC's... Maybe Ram modules (probably would be useless). Does anyone know exactly or have even a ballpark estimation where the the 3DS keys are stored on each unit?

muskieratboi

Rydian's got some competition!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hokay. It looks like Marcan is pretty confident that the WiiU can be blown wide open.

If this proves to be the case, would that mean anything for the 3DS? some kind of method to sign homebrew on a hacked WiiU and then upload to the 3DS, like how PSP stuff can get signed on a hacked PS3? Probably a long shot, but it seems plausible.

bangs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You know, does anyone know if Hackers with resources to remove BGA parts of the 3DS and swap them between 2 different units. Testing NANDs, maybe SoC's... Maybe Ram modules (probably would be useless). Does anyone know exactly or have even a ballpark estimation where the the 3DS keys are stored on each unit?

I'm really really new to this scene .. but I would have to guess in soc on the rom with the highest possible security bit set so you can't just go and read it.. but on the other hand I've read I think the rom can be dumped but its encrypted.-----.Even the first page was dumped?? .. some how I can't see them being so lazy but I come from a totally diff hacking scene ..and the security on the cards are so much higher. I don't even know if you guys have tried glitch attacks yet.. but with everything on the one die it might be extremely hard to target a glitch... .. but as you said moving the bga to another unit would most likely give you a quick answer... or it might be pointless because the keys are really only needed for the games?!

also wonder how the updates come be interesting to get a log of the ram dumps
during a update download.. then a dump again of the firmware.. Even the games that downloaded
onto the unit it self you would think you could find a exploit or some good snoops of ram... even replacing one of those demo games with other stuff..

.so to guess the key is prob made up of however the unit is identified as being diff
..online ect...

has anybody compared dumps yet..in public or private?
The dumps if encrypted should be hugely different.

I know I know ..i will prob get a shovel here as well lol..

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm really really new to this scene .. but I would have to guess in soc on the rom with the highest possible security bit set so you can't just go and read it.. but on the other hand I've read I think the rom can be dumped but its encrypted.-----.Even the first page was dumped?? .. some how I can't see them being so lazy but I come from a totally diff hacking scene ..and the security on the cards are so much higher. I don't even know if you guys have tried glitch attacks yet.. but with everything on the one die it might be extremely hard to target a glitch... .. but as you said moving the bga to another unit would most likely give you a quick answer... or it might be pointless because the keys are really only needed for the games?!

also wonder how the updates come be interesting to get a log of the ram dumps
during a update download.. then a dump again of the firmware.. Even the games that downloaded
onto the unit it self you would think you could find a exploit or some good snoops of ram... even replacing one of those demo games with other stuff..

.so to guess the key is prob made up of however the unit is identified as being diff
..online ect...

has anybody compared dumps yet..in public or private?
The dumps if encrypted should be hugely different.

I know I know ..i will prob get a shovel here as well lol..

Well, a hacker named Neimod has already modded to monitor and change values in the RAM already. Look in my sig, and you will see there is a fundraiser for a Decapping of the SOC going on right now. My reasoning behind my idea was to determine where the codes are stored since that actually might be usefull information. Also, seeing the behavior of the 3ds after doing this may be interesting if done correctly. I have seen amateurs make decent reflow ovens using infrared toaster ovens with new controllers added for temp control. The only challenge would be extracting the wanted part and not to remove any other parts from the board.

bangs

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
removing bga can be done with a hot air gun with a directional metal tip placed on it..
You can order bga stencils and the balls from hk as well ..might have to use a diff one
seeing you are not going to program the thing the stencils and balls is all that u basically need..
and patience ..I would try removing and reflowing a bga from a old receiver or something .so u can get practice
My method / trick is ..placing a piece of electrical tape reversed on your finger after my target is heated up
enough i remove the heat and quickly dab at the component .. most peeps use vacuum though on the station
which is hell of allot safer then my method .(no extra parts on the tap lol)

Neimod I seen all his pictures he does amazing quality work not only does he have hardware skill
he has amazing software skills as well.... my stuff always come out looking
like they belong in a science fiction movie gone wrong...

I'm only assuming he has the equipment to prob the thing after decap...
and if all he is asking for is 2k .. his microscope is prob in the 10k and way up range...

I'm at the stage of going through http://gbatemp.net/threads/gbatemp-...project-rewritten-for-2012.73394/#post-970547 and will be stuck at this stage for some time lol so so much stuff u guys
have done as a community.

edit---------------re read the decap fundraiser thing.. No mention of probing but
"reconstruct logic from the images" ouchy going to be some late nights for him

muskieratboi

Rydian's got some competition!
Trophies
XP
Country
... there's some method to transfer programs back and forth between the 3DS and the Wii U?

Also, the only reason the PSP and PS3 transfer crap worked so well was because people were already able to run unsigned code on both devices beforehand...

Actually, there is, (Mii transfers) but that seems to be pretty locked down. Disregard.. for the moment. :P

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
removing bga can be done with a hot air gun with a directional metal tip placed on it..
You can order bga stencils and the balls from hk as well ..might have to use a diff one
seeing you are not going to program the thing the stencils and balls is all that u basically need..
and patience ..I would try removing and reflowing a bga from a old receiver or something .so u can get practice
My method / trick is ..placing a piece of electrical tape reversed on your finger after my target is heated up
enough i remove the heat and quickly dab at the component .. most peeps use vacuum though on the station
which is hell of allot safer then my method .(no extra parts on the tap lol)

Neimod I seen all his pictures he does amazing quality work not only does he have hardware skill
he has amazing software skills as well.... my stuff always come out looking
like they belong in a science fiction movie gone wrong...

I'm only assuming he has the equipment to prob the thing after decap...
and if all he is asking for is 2k .. his microscope is prob in the 10k and way up range...

I'm at the stage of going through http://gbatemp.net/threads/gbatemp-...project-rewritten-for-2012.73394/#post-970547 and will be stuck at this stage for some time lol so so much stuff u guys
have done as a community.

edit---------------re read the decap fundraiser thing.. No mention of probing but
"reconstruct logic from the images" ouchy going to be some late nights for him
Im pretty sure they are getting a lab to do the Decap.

Naridar

Excelsior!
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I know it's probably a noobish idea, but since savestates can be used on DS-mode flashcarts, and savestates are basically a RAM snapshot, what happened if we provided the device with a ram snapshot of the 3DS - or even one that doesn't fit in the DS' RAM? Or does the 3DS use a different RAM unit for DS and 3DS mode?

It might not provide a useful buffer overflow, but it could be enough to see how seperate the two modes really are.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Save states in emulators contain the RAM and working state of the whole system, but the way flash carts use it is more limited (just the binaries and game data), and it would still be within DS-mode.

Pretty much any sort of memory situation you could make could just be directly caused by homebrew in DS-mode anyways.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1