Post Unpopular Gaming Opinions

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't think it's an unpopular opinion, everyone always says that new Zelda games are shit when they're released and that the previous ones are so much better :P
I've never thought that, but I do see it. It just looks like it's trying to be an open world game using the name for marketing. I don't mind the exploration, I enjoyed it in Skyward Sword. But I feel like the new one is scrapping what makes the series great just to get sales and try to stay "relevant". It just looks like any other open world game but with Zelda enemies and items.

I prefer what I like to call "limited open world" where there's an open world (or somewhat open) environment but you also need to progress in the story to advance. I think that good story and characters are what make great games. Following market trends for sales won't make your game nearly as memorable imo.

Last edited by RedBlueGreen,

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
New battlefield games are shit.

The game was at it's best when it was pc exclusive, ever since the mainline games went multiplatform it's been a dumbed down shell of it's former glory.

D

Deleted User

Overwatch is overrated.

TBH everything blizzard has developed under the oversight of activition has been overrated. I sometimes wonder if when these kinds of big mergers happen, someone from HR gets assigned to go and fire all the actual gamers.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never thought that, but I do see it. It just looks like it's trying to be an open world game using the name for marketing. I don't mind the exploration, I enjoyed it in Skyward Sword. But I feel like the new one is scrapping what makes the series great just to get sales and try to stay "relevant". It just looks like any other open world game but with Zelda enemies and items.

I prefer what I like to call "limited open world" where there's an open world (or somewhat open) environment but you also need to progress in the story to advance. I think that good story and characters are what make great games. Following market trends for sales won't make your game nearly as memorable imo.
I share many of your reservations about the jump to a fully-open world, however we haven't seen nearly enough to know how its implementation really affects the game as a whole, and Aonuma has earned the benefit of the doubt in my book as all of his Zelda games have been home-runs as far as I'm concerned.

Deleted member 370671

Ball of Kawaiiness
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, North
I haven't played or finished any Zelda game ever but I'd like to start with one, which one would you say is the best then?
If you like secondary quests, I would recommend Wind Waker.
If you prefer having a long main quest with not many secondary quests, I would recommend A Link to the Past.

Reactions: CLOUD9RED

EmanueleBGN

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Italy
I haven't played or finished any Zelda game ever but I'd like to start with one, which one would you say is the best then?
You can start with every game. I suggest you to not start with 'Zelda 1' nor 'Zelda 2' (NES).
You can start with 'A Link to the Past' (SNES), 'Oracle of Ages/Seasons' (play them together) or 'Link's Awakening DX' (GBC, my favorites). If you are not a noob with rpg/puzzle games/dungeon exploring you can start with 'Twilight Princess' or 'Wind Waker' (Wii U has HD remakes).
Every Zelda game is different. Play 'Majora's Mask' after 'Ocarina of Time'. Also, you can skip 'Phantom Hourglass' and 'Spirit Tracks' (DS).
I suggest also to play "Skyward Sword" not for first because it say many things you'll learn in other titles

Last edited by EmanueleBGN,
Reactions: CLOUD9RED

CLOUD9RED

Trophies
XP
Country
Swaziland
You can start with every game. I suggest you to not start with 'Zelda 1' nor 'Zelda 2' (NES).
You can start with 'A Link to the Past' (SNES), 'Oracle of Ages/Seasons' (play them together) or 'Link's Awakening DX' (GBC, my favorites). If you are not a noob with rpg/puzzle games/dungeon exploring you can start with 'Twilight Princess' or 'Wind Waker' (Wii U has HD remakes).
Every Zelda game is different. Play 'Majora's Mask' after 'Ocarina of Time'. Also, you can skip 'Phantom Hourglass' and 'Spirit Tracks' (DS).
I suggest also to play "Skyward Sword" not for first because it say many things you'll learn in other titles

Oh great, they have A Link to the Past on VC 3DS :) and it looks good! Thanks. Wish more games could go back to that retro look! :D

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mario 64 for the ds having shit controls?
this is called "unpopular opinions" not "facts that are rarely said"

anyway. heres a very unpopular opinion:
any game with turns sucks! (specially RPG) they are a outdated concept.
in the early days the consoles didn't have the capabilities that today's consoles got..
so if you wanted a game about fighting monsters they had to do it calculator style...
thus rpg was born, there is your character on the left, and the enemy on the right, because limitations in giving real action they come up with stats, turns and "pretending fight" so you could have an advanced game
today you can actually have a fully animated dragon with realistic AI.. if i wanted to play an rpg, i could get a piece of paper and a calculator and pretend to kill monsters just like the old days

So your unpopular argument is that digital table-top games suck and are an outdated concept? I can see why that'd be an unpopular idea.

Lightyose

True Light
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Video games are for nerds and virgins
So if I marry someone gaming is illegal... Im a nerd 2 (maybe)

Anyway, I think the wii u is one of the best gaming consoles there have been, no joke

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Mario
Is
Annoying
All he does
Is rescue peach
From someone who *steals* her
Why
No clue
Even though bowser is killed he somehow lives every damn time Mario kills him.
Bowser, Mario and Peach have an eternal bond...

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Calling turn-based outdated is an uninformed opinion, because action games are just as old as TB games and there are a million different play styles for games, but in this case I'm talking about RPGs specifically. I can understand disliking TB or in the case of FF4-9, CT etc pseudo TB, but the various TB systems are simply different styles of play and are no more "outdated" than action RPGs. Calling TB outdated is an objectively incorrect statement.

Also, "open world" games are generally overrated. In many cases you'll get games that are massive, but highly unpolished and based more on quantity than quality. Some level of linearity isn't necessarily a bad thing and there's a balance between linear and open design. Both extremes usually suck.

RedBlueGreen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Calling turn-based outdated is an uninformed opinion, because action games are just as old as TB games and there are a million different play styles for games, but in this case I'm talking about RPGs specifically. I can understand disliking TB or in the case of FF4-9, CT etc pseudo TB, but the various TB systems are simply different styles of play and are no more "outdated" than action RPGs. Calling TB outdated is an objectively incorrect statement.

Also, "open world" games are generally overrated. In many cases you'll get games that are massive, but highly unpolished and based more on quantity than quality. Some level of linearity isn't necessarily a bad thing and there's a balance between linear and open design. Both extremes usually suck.
I prefer things where the open world or exploration parts are limited by story progression. That's one of the things I like about 3D Zelda games, the Xenoblade games, and one of the things I love about Fable games (even if they're generally not great). Honestly I think that hype plays a big part in how well games are received. We're at a point where even if a game doesn't deserve all the hype or deliver it's still considered "amazing" because nobody wants to admit this mainstream hyped game is overrated or underwhelming. I genuinely consider The Evil Within to be significantly better than The Last of Us (not a very relevant comparison, but still. My PS4 ran The Evil Within flawlessly so I have no comment on the performance issues).

Reactions: Humanity

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over