Homebrew Possible Nintendo 3DS exploit/vulnerability (Found by me!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bud420

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
off-topic: Why do people get so mad and p*ssed off when ANYONE tries to help the 3DS hacking community? They take it so personally and try to attack/ flame any OP. A lot of people need to chill the f*ck out. He is trying to help. Also if you were smart enough, it would be stickied the second any real exploit/ hack/ mod was found/ released. One last thing; I never see any posts from the butt hurt people trying to help.
I'm not mad and pissed off, but I do hold a certain contempt for posts that claim they're something that they're not by non-hackers with itchy trigger fingers over the "Post" button. Have you ever noticed that possible exploit's are never announced by hackers? If I found this, I'd stick to the back channels of seeing if it's exploitable, rather than making a public post about it on a popular hacking forum where people are just going to have their hopes dashed when it turns out the OP was mistaken.

Also, I doubt any hacking theories posted here will help anyone much. Very few real hackers browse this site, you're much better off posting your findings on #3dsdev.

Well, as I said before; if anything were to be found that would contribute positively, and in a major manor, to hack the 3DS it would be stickied. If you are fed up of people posting unsuccessful happenings, why even bother coming to the thread? More so - why even POST in the thread if it's so irritable? That is just as daft, and a waste of your valuable energy. No one - and i mean NO ONE can stop all these threads appearing. So many people want it hacked therefore so many kids post useless information. Still no reason to go "wild n out" on them, it would be much less time spent if you ignored the topics with related titles as a whole. If anything should arise, watch out for the sticked sh*t, that's where all the good stuff's at.

The Milkman

GBATemp's Official Asshat Milkman
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, cool glitch but it doesnt seem like its loading something. now if you could boot the game (or even run the start up logo) without any freezes or crashes we may have something here but other then that, nothing. Also chill guys (especially you @[member='bud420']) Its just a glitch and he did have a good reason.

Reactions: 1 person

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Yeah? Well GBATempers are tired of newcomers saying they've found this and that... I know I am. Let's just leave it to professionals and once they found a LEAD, or a way to hack it, then let the world know about it.
With respect, that makes no sense... You're basically saying that a temper with "newbie" status or a low post count is automatically "not a professional" as far as hacking goes... Someone could EASILY be new to GBA Temp and yet have separately acquired skills.

Of course that wasn't the case here. just sayin'.

That said, people need to stop flaming the op for this (not referring to you, gamefan5). He's just sharing a rather peculiar incident just in case. But then again, perhaps the OP shouldn't have called it "possible exploit" and been all "I did this myself, credit goes all to me" when there was no proof at all. That just gets people's hopes up when they open the thread, and pisses them off when they see it's nothing.

Reactions: 1 person

SanoKeo

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Yeah? Well GBATempers are tired of newcomers saying they've found this and that... I know I am. Let's just leave it to professionals and once they found a LEAD, or a way to hack it, then let the world know about it.
With respect, that makes no sense... You're basically saying that a temper with "newbie" status or a low post count is automatically "not a professional" as far as hacking goes... Someone could EASILY be new to GBA Temp and yet have separately acquired skills.

Of course that wasn't the case here. just sayin'.

That said, people need to stop flaming the op for this (not referring to you, gamefan5). He's just sharing a rather peculiar incident just in case. But then again, perhaps the OP shouldn't have called it "possible exploit" and been all "I did this myself, credit goes all to me" when there was no proof at all. That just gets people's hopes up when they open the thread, and pisses them off when they see it's nothing.

Totally Agreed, everyone here knows about neimod's work, well, he said that about his work if he founds something explotable, he probably would not share it here at GBATemp because of some people actitud.

It's understandable, a lot of people come here and post things like cloned flashcards, glitchs like this thread, and a lot of ideas that are really basics like "I think we can make a website to get on the 3ds and make a hack". Yeah, all those should've read the stickies, but all of them try to coperate with the cause, get the 3ds hacked, and well, let's try not to lose the head and just say "Sorry man, but this won't do, because of the keys or etc etc etc..."

Someday the 3ds will be hacked in many different ways just like all the past consoles, and probably the main way of hacking come from something posted here or there by someone who tought about something we didn't, been pro or noob, we don't know that.

Deagh, sorry for the long post.
C ya guys.

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

And how many times has that happened, exactly?

Just sayin'.

It's not 'impossible' but almost all new users here aren't great at hacking; it's sort of safe to assume, seeing all the threads started by new users.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Here's a question to answer your question... how many "experienced" tempers have any hacking skills at all? It's stupid to attribute temp noobishness to hacking experience.

NipponRyan97

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I got asked some questions. No, when I put the cartridge back in, it just freezes the bottom screen, but the top works perfectly, you can even change the 3D effect. The bottom screen acts like it's waiting for something, no banner is displayed on the top. It's like the system is looking for something. Even if the cartridge is put back in. Even the menu music is running. This has to do something.

NipponRyan97

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also, no buttons work at all, the only things that work are the power button, 3D slider, and volume. It doesn't even go into sleep mode. From what more experienced users have said, they say that when the cartridge is inserted, the system, NAND, and hypervisor look for files and headers. This definitely could at least lead to something. I never said I hacked it, I just discovered a vulnerability that might be exploitable. Another weird thing I noticed is that before you try to launch a title, which freezes the console, it still displays friend online LED. But the whole console is just stuck, only the few sliders and power button work, no banners even display. YOU'RE SURE THIS MEANS NOTHING? This is a NAND crash. This isn't like a web browser crash, it's doing an abnormal crash on the main core of the system, all crashes have a cause. Aren't you people experienced at all? No offense, but you don't seem to get what I'm saying!

NipponRyan97

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Eh, cool glitch but it doesnt seem like its loading something. now if you could boot the game (or even run the start up logo) without any freezes or crashes we may have something here but other then that, nothing. Also chill guys (especially you @[member='bud420']) Its just a glitch and he did have a good reason.

Thank you, when I said all credit goes to me I meant it because I thought I was the first one to discover this. I read the whole 3DS hacking theories and never found this, who knows if this actually does something. Remember the banner files and CiTRUS? People were changing placeholder data and modifying the Nintendo 3DS Sound banners (Excitebike) and manuals. You never know.

NipponRyan97

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You probably won't be able to make it region free as you'd need a separate header from the HOME Menu, which when attempts recognize a game taps into the NAND filesystem which searches through a list and the headers available, you'd need something else first.

SanGor

Witchhunter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What probably happened is that the hypervisior locked up due some fatal lets call it security error.
Since the menu runs on another CPU, it keeps running but everything that goes through the hypervisor is not working anymore.

The Wii also had this behaviour known as the endlessly spinning disc. When certain stuff failed to verify on the disc, IOS hit the kill switch and ignored any new commands but the PPC kept running.

Nothing to see here, move along!

celcodioc

Major A$$hole
Trophies
XP
Country
Also, no buttons work at all, the only things that work are the power button, 3D slider, and volume. It doesn't even go into sleep mode. From what more experienced users have said, they say that when the cartridge is inserted, the system, NAND, and hypervisor look for files and headers. This definitely could at least lead to something. I never said I hacked it, I just discovered a vulnerability that might be exploitable. Another weird thing I noticed is that before you try to launch a title, which freezes the console, it still displays friend online LED. But the whole console is just stuck, only the few sliders and power button work, no banners even display. YOU'RE SURE THIS MEANS NOTHING? This is a NAND crash. This isn't like a web browser crash, it's doing an abnormal crash on the main core of the system, all crashes have a cause. Aren't you people experienced at all? No offense, but you don't seem to get what I'm saying!

C-Kronos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
im pretty sure if we had Geohot...We would of had the keys...*idea* :T
Funniest joke in this entire thread.

Agreed, but I'm not sure if I should laugh or facepalm.. Just because Geohot is well known, doesn't mean he is as impressive as everyone seems to think. I believe that he's a smart guy and he's good at what he does, but there are people that are better than he is..

Oh yeah, if anyone can, is there a place where the latest information regarding the 3DS is compiled and kept up to date? I'm already "active" in quite a few IRC channels as it is, I don't need another one to go to just to learn what information is already out there. I have a slight interest in the 3DS, but it'll probably never become anything more than a mere interest.

I'm also interested in the PS3, but I know I lack the patience for reversing anything built with gcc.. Props to anyone who's been doing it, and still has their sanity intact..

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
Here's a question to answer your question... how many "experienced" tempers have any hacking skills at all? It's stupid to attribute temp noobishness to hacking experience.
Well simple answer is: not many but to answer the question properly its more of the longer you stick around people who are skilled in something chances are you'll slowly pick up some of skills if your interested. So your right in saying just because you been on GBATemp longer doesn't mean you have anymore hacking skills then the new guy chances are you might've picked up some in the time you been on here.

McHaggis

Fackin' Troller
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, as I said before; if anything were to be found that would contribute positively, and in a major manor, to hack the 3DS it would be stickied. If you are fed up of people posting unsuccessful happenings, why even bother coming to the thread? More so - why even POST in the thread if it's so irritable? That is just as daft, and a waste of your valuable energy. No one - and i mean NO ONE can stop all these threads appearing. So many people want it hacked therefore so many kids post useless information. Still no reason to go "wild n out" on them, it would be much less time spent if you ignored the topics with related titles as a whole. If anything should arise, watch out for the sticked sh*t, that's where all the good stuff's at.
The problem is that when someone posts a thread saying "possible exploit/vulnerability found", it's not the kind of thing you can just ignore if you're waiting for a hack.Ignoring the forum and threads like this isn't really a good solution. You asked why people get mad, I explained it to you, which is why I was posting. I'm not going "wild [and] out" on anyone, I agree there's no need to flame or troll, but it doesn't hurt to remind the OP that there's better ways to handle these things than getting people's hopes up.

Reactions: 2 people

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I am fairly knowledgeable in the field of exploits (not to the extent of writing one or whatever, but to the extent of understanding well how they work) and I can tell you with a reasonable level of certainty that this means nothing. No offence, but porting Siri is not the same as creating an exploit. And you said chpwn helped a lot. I don't want to belittle your contribution, but I would suggest chpwn maybe did most of the work. In his blog post releasing it, he thanks RyanPetrich (I'm assuming that must be you) for "fixes and improvements" - not for the major coding work. I don't know if this is a misrepresentation, and if so, I apologize. But still, you can be assured that this is NOTHING.

CollosalPokemon

ばん。。。かい
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am fairly knowledgeable in the field of exploits (not to the extent of writing one or whatever, but to the extent of understanding well how they work) and I can tell you with a reasonable level of certainty that this means nothing. No offence, but porting Siri is not the same as creating an exploit. And you said chpwn helped a lot. I don't want to belittle your contribution, but I would suggest chpwn maybe did most of the work. In his blog post releasing it, he thanks RyanPetrich (I'm assuming that must be you) for "fixes and improvements" - not for the major coding work. I don't know if this is a misrepresentation, and if so, I apologize. But still, you can be assured that this is NOTHING.

When was he talking about iCrap 3S?

But you're right otherwise.
He has no influence over the code what-so-ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @Psionic Roshambo, Thats pretty cool.