Gaming Possible fourth drive?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In short, I'd been trying to figure out which type of drive I had in my 360 Elite, since I had been basically working up the nerve to go flash it, especially now that there are supposedly stealth firmwares, so that I can still enjoy my legit XBL Gold subscription (at least, provided I don't do something stupid like play MW2 before it's supposed to be out in stores).

Looking online, I found this link, which talks about the three primary drives.

Well, mine has the smooth tray like the BenQ shown, but what's difference is that in Hole #3 that they're talking about, mine has a yellow wire instead of a white wire. Could this mean that mine is using a different, fourth disc drive that isn't documented on here? Or is it simply a BenQ with a different color wire meant to throw potential modders off their game?

JesseB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bad from a modding standpoint. As far as I know, Lite-On drives are not moddable. The only option is to use a special tool to extract your drives unique key, swap the drive out with anouther 360 drive that is moddable, and then inject your key into the new drive so the 360 will recognize it. This is called spoofing the drive. It is possible, but very complicated and time consuming. Something I would definitely leave to a professional.

JesseB

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That looks like what you need. however you still need the extra bits of hardware like the sata adapter and the key probe in order to do it. Search on craigslist to see if you can find someone in your area that does mods. I found a guy on there that flashes 360's for 30 bucks locally. It would have cost me twice as much just to buy the hardware I needed to do it myself. Not to mention that he had already done like 200 units and guaranteed his work. If that doesn't work, there's always professional mod shops online. Good luck.

gisel213

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
Lite On are completely moddable.

There are two versions though. One is harder to mod than the other.

yeah that's right i mod all the drives all the time for friends and people but it's funny that
the latest liteon from microsoft 8385c you do not need the spear or ck3 probe but yet the
older one you still need the spear or probe strange... but on the other hand they are both
quieter and dont mess up as easy as the samsung or hitachi's good luck man.....

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
Lite On are completely moddable.

There are two versions though. One is harder to mod than the other.
Okay. How can you tell which version you do have, though? Ideally before you have to open up and disassemble the console to find out?

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You can try checking the manufacturing date then compare the date with the site I posted earlier. It's still not 100% though.

You have to disassemble to know absolutely sure. The firmware version will be written directly on the drive itself.

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Jiggah said:
You can try checking the manufacturing date then compare the date with the site I posted earlier. It's still not 100% though.
I'm sorry, but I did not see a link posted in your prior posting.
unsure.gif

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
codezer0 said:
Jiggah said:
I'm sorry, but I did not see a link posted in your prior posting.
unsure.gif

Sorry, it was a different thread but you should be able to google it. Just type "360 drive."

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, from looking through that list, it seems that the batch of 360's that came from the same team as mine, and manufactured around the same time span, were among those that got the last BenQ drives, but just started putting in Lite-On drives. Not sure how to tell if this is going to be easy or hard from that.

I also see that there's this Jungleflasher software that will let me flash the 360's drive even if I don't have that VIA chipset (thank god, because my experiences with VIA could write a book on how NOT to make hardware). But I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything else to make this happen. Is there any special caveat that I should be aware of?

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
codezer0 said:
Okay, from looking through that list, it seems that the batch of 360's that came from the same team as mine, and manufactured around the same time span, were among those that got the last BenQ drives, but just started putting in Lite-On drives. Not sure how to tell if this is going to be easy or hard from that.

I also see that there's this Jungleflasher software that will let me flash the 360's drive even if I don't have that VIA chipset (thank god, because my experiences with VIA could write a book on how NOT to make hardware). But I just want to make sure that I'm not missing anything else to make this happen. Is there any special caveat that I should be aware of?

To figure out if it's a Benq or a Lite On, you can take the face plate off and look inside to see if you see a yellow wire. It it's yellow then it's a Lite On.

If it's a Lite On then you'd have to open it up to see if it's a 78350c or the 83850c (you're opening it up no matter what so this isn't an issue). The 83850c is easier to mod, no addition hardware required beyond a SATA cable and a computer that has SATA connections.

The 78350c ones need additional hardware that can run from $20-$80 depending on what you get. The simplest is just a probe to get the key.

Jiggah

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
codezer0 said:
78350c--what?!

The one that seems to closest match what I have on the database there is this post, but that just says Lite-on DG-16D2S, nothing about 783 or 838 or whatever. :/

http://www.360drives.com/list

Look at the firmware list dude, under firmw.

74850c or 83850c.

With the 74850c, you're going to have to buy extra stuff.

My point all along has been that in order to know for sure, since the database isn't actually that great at keeping track of stuff, is that you'll have to open it yourself and check.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    LeoTCK @ LeoTCK: yes for nearly a month i was officially a wanted fugitive, until yesterday when it ended