Homebrew Possibility of Sonic 3 and Knuckles in jEnesisDS?

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They've done it before, and they don't seem to hate Sonic hackers or emulator authors for some reason. If you recall the SEGA Smash Pack games, those were modified versions of an old Genesis emulator called Kgen I believe, programmed by a guy called Steven Snake. Steven Snake is the author of the best Genesis emulator currently for PC, KEGA Fusion. It's nothing new for them to take freeware amateur work and use it for their own devices. I would assume because 1- they can't do any better, and 2- it's cheaper for them.

I doubt there was much in the area of threats to be honest. SEGA purposefully doesn't shut down a lot of Sonic hacking sites. There is one (won't name names, but it's the most popular Sonic hacking site out there) that claims to have a certain degree of "permission" to spread commercial rom hacks (not just the patch, the rom itself) around on their website. I don't fully believe they're telling the truth, but they're very open about it and SEGA does seem to not be bothered by their efforts unless they try to hack or distribute a newer Sonic game.

Anne Noise

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Slyakin said:
Wow, Lordus got contracted to Sega? Amazing! I wonder if they threatened to arrest him...
tongue.gif

It seems like a good business model - to me - to find people who are familiar with making the product you want to release, then pay them to do it better, and for real real, haha.

Also, as a former employee of SEGA of America in San Francisco, I can tell you the American branch - at least, my office - was full of piracy, hacking, trading and knowledge. (As long as you weren't doing any of those things with current SEGA products in development, haha.)

bluebowser31

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
QUOTE said:
And it actually has to be a retail cart, not on a flashcart.

whoa! slow down there sonny! (can i call you that?) i have played it perfectly on my acekard 2i... so... yeah.

and i do have more of a life than reading forum posts and correcting minor mistakes, but i coudlnt find the guide thing which made me late so now i have my XL and a non working acekard 2i, so im bored and doing just that xD.

D

Deleted-236924

bluebowser31 said:
QUOTE said:
And it actually has to be a retail cart, not on a flashcart.

whoa! slow down there sonny! (can i call you that?) i have played it perfectly on my acekard 2i... so... yeah.

If you cared enough to read the thread, you'd find out we're talking about SCC running better on a DSi if you're using a retail cart.
Flashcards will work in DS mode, so it will run as it would on a regular DS.

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
monkat said:
I declare shenanigans. Unless jEnesisDS was released open-source under the BSD license, Sonic Classic Collection would also have to have been open source, as well as free to the public.

If you write software and release it as open source, then only other people are required to open source their changs. You can make changes and sell them without giving the source away.
So as long as he was the major contributor, then it's very possible that it's pretty much the same.

powerfull Tails

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maby if Jenesis Ds used some ram from the ds browser's slot 2 ram cart then there whould be a chance that S3k chould run without the use of a hacking tool to lower its memory useg.

but if its possable to get S3k running then sonic 3d blast chould get runing!

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
powerfull Tails miles said:
Maby if Jenesis Ds used some ram from the ds browser's slot 2 ram cart then there whould be a chance that S3k chould run without the use of a hacking tool to lower its memory useg.

but if its possable to get S3k running then sonic 3d blast chould get runing!
1. Sonic 3+Knuckles is on Sega Classic Collection.
2. It's not a chance, it's guaranteed.
3. PicoDriveDS supports RAM packs.
4. There's no option in jEnesisDS.
5. Nobody can put the feature in jEnesisDS except Lordus.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The ram pack wouldn't actually be necessary. SnemulDS and Lameboy both support 4MB+ games without it. Lordus never even intended to use the ram pack as far as i know. He intended to go the SnemulDS and lameboy route by implementing a paging system, calling up small chunks of the game data as needed instead of loading the entire rom into the memory. He just never got that far before SEGA contracted him to do an official release.

Tac 21

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
monkat said:
laifuthegreat said:
Juanmatron said:
Sonic Classic Colection.
IT'S THE SAME EMULATOR SLIGHTLY MODIFIED. I thought they would modify it to make it BETTER! They only had to play one engine with it (which was slightly modded for each game), so they could optimize it.

I declare shenanigans. Unless jEnesisDS was released open-source under the BSD license, Sonic Classic Collection would also have to have been open source, as well as free to the public.

It is not in any way the same emulator. Both emulators are designed to run the same type of code, but they are not the same. It was a shame that the quality wasn't up-to-par, but that's life sometimes. It was probably a half-assed attempt to get a quick buck that failed, that's all.

who says SCM didn't do well? I thinlk it sold as much as they wanted it too.

powerfull Tails

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
well if some of use want ti get sonic 3 and knuckles,sonic 2 and knuckles, playable on jemesisDs then why does one of use ask lordus to support 4 mb games in jenisisDS?

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Overlord Nadrian said:
YayMii said:
Is SCC actually faster on a DSi (using an actual cartridge)? And does the actual cartridge (on a DS phat or DS lite) run faster than a flashcart?
It runs faster on a DSi if you're using the retail cart. I don't know if it runs faster on a regular DS with a retail cart, but I suppose not.

It won't on a reg. DS. If you check the rom, it's actually DSI-enhanced.

as for sonic3d blast, that's one game, so you can't cut anything out without it affecting the game and/or gameplay. Isn't JDS already opensource on lordus' site?

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
personuser said:
It won't on a reg. DS. If you check the rom, it's actually DSI-enhanced.1. You don't know what "enhanced" means. If it didn't work on a regular DS, it wouldn't work on flashcarts yet.
QUOTE(personuser @ Jun 23 2010, 06:08 PM) Isn't JDS already opensource on lordus' site?
No. PicoDriveDS is open source though.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry to bump this but THIS GAME RUNS FLAWLESS ON MY DS XL WITH SCDSTWO! I thought lets give it a try and it did launch fully(without bugs)!

The rom is about 2,5 mb.

p.s. I WILL NEVER GIVE any download link so do not pm me about this!

Gnargle

The day I set a profile picture is the day I die
Trophies
XP
Country
Dark Langin said:
Sorry to bump this but THIS GAME RUNS FLAWLESS ON MY DS XL WITH SCDSTWO! I thought lets give it a try and it did launch fully(without bugs)!

The rom is about 2,5 mb.

p.s. I WILL NEVER GIVE any download link so do not pm me about this!
You're running EITHER Sonic 3 OR Sonic & Knuckles.
The S3K rom is 4MB. Interesting fact - it remained unpiratable for a long time because nobody could extract the relevant files from S&K to make a working S3K rom.

QUOTE(powerfull Tails miles @ Jun 23 2010, 03:29 PM) well if some of use want ti get sonic 3 and knuckles,sonic 2 and knuckles, playable on jemesisDs then why does one of use ask lordus to support 4 mb games in jenisisDS?

Lrn2readthreads. Also, can we at least try and check our posts before posting? It took me about 3 read-throughs to interpret what you meant there.

Langin

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
granville said:
Sonic 3 and Knuckles is 4MB, not 2.5. You're running another game if you got one that size. Don't be foolish.

Well its seriously 2.5 mb! Sorry my cam is broken so cannot prove it.
mellow.gif
But it is true. I am very bad at lying so that is not the problem.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're right about being bad at lying, because it's obvious you are. It wouldn't be hard to prove without a camera anyways. There exists the printscreen button and various ways to see if you're actually telling the truth with an emulator or files... Not that that would prove much since there are too many ways to edit the photo though. It's just obvious you're lying. Don't bother trying.

The rom is 4MB, there are no variations of the rom that are less.

YayMii

hi
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
granville said:
The rom is 4MB, there are no variations of the rom that are less.
You're right about that. Although I'm pretty sure that every Sonic 3 and Knuckles ROM is compressed inside a 2.5MB ZIP file.

powerfull Tails

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
if there was a patch that got rid of any excess data in s2k or s3k then maybe it would be possible to get the rom under 4mb

but that would require some serious ROM hacking.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1