Portable Android Gaming System

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm considering buying another android handheld gaming system to replace my Portable Shield. Anyone care to recommend some other quality handheld systems to handle running emulators? Thanks.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm considering buying another android handheld gaming system to replace my Portable Shield. Anyone care to recommend some other quality handheld systems to handle running emulators? Thanks.
The shield is the only best quality u can get so get an updated shield

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reasons to replace the shield? As others said it's the best portable android device to have unless you want something that is controller detachable.

D

Deleted User

Reasons to replace the shield? As others said it's the best portable android device to have unless you want something that is controller detachable.
Detachable one is outdated and not sold anymore tho.
Newest is that shield 10 inch tablet

BlackWizzard17

Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Detachable one is outdated and not sold anymore tho.
Newest is that shield 10 inch tablet
I meant a phone that you can hook up to a controller via Bluetooth. That 10 inch shield tablet seems pretty good though although it doesn't exactly scream "portable" to me.

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Well since it was made around three or four years ago I assumed that more powerful android based handhelds have been produced since. Plus I can't stand the a/b/x/y buttons. Way too clicky. Reminds me too much of the PSP buttons. It's a tad bit heavy too.

No decent recommendations anyone?

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
...okay, I'm going to go ahead and say "GPD XD". No, I don't have one and no I haven't even looked up extensive reviews of the product. But I do have a GPD Win from the same company, and that's easily the best handheld device I ever had. I'd even recommend considering it (haven't checked out android emulation, but the win's touchscreen seems to be a perfect match at least on the hardware front.

Of course, it depends a lot on your tastes (it took me a few days to properly tweak the win for best power performance and ease-of-use, whereas I'm sure an android device is more straightforward), so...I guess I can't do anything but do a name drop of the product(s). :)

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
There aren't any recommendations cuz, quite frankly, the Shield Portable is still one of the best handhelds for Android gaming. Pretty much the only thing that beats it out performance-wise is the Shield tablet and that's it.

You could always go for one of the JXD handhelds, they aren't as powerful as the Shield but they're different I guess, and still work fine for emus.

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There aren't any recommendations cuz, quite frankly, the Shield Portable is still one of the best handhelds for Android gaming. Pretty much the only thing that beats it out performance-wise is the Shield tablet and that's it.

You could always go for one of the JXD handhelds, they aren't as powerful as the Shield but they're different I guess, and still work fine for emus.

Any particular reason why Nvidia hasn't tried making a Portable Two? They're selling for big bucks on ebay. So clearly there is interest.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Any particular reason why Nvidia hasn't tried making a Portable Two? They're selling for big bucks on ebay. So clearly there is interest.
Nvidia actually had submitted a Shield Portable 2 to the FCC last year (which you can see pictures of here: http://www.droid-life.com/2017/01/12/nvidia-shield-portable-2/), but there hasn't been word on whether they'll launch one or not.

It's likely they simply don't want to continue developing a product with a rather low market share. Sure, they sell for big bucks on ebay now but when it launched it sold rather poorly (which is part of the reason why they sell for so much, very limited supply).

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Must be Android? Because if you are really interested in emulation, the best one is Razer Edge Pro (but Windows 8-10).
It can handle a lot of PS2 and WII games at full speed and, good lord, can run even some WiiU games :O
Is the tablet i really want so bad...
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCVvtbBkjbs0gaMRSlXx90Q/videos

Over 1000 dollars for a tablet??? Plus it was released over four years ago. Surprised the price hasn't declined more.

Plus that thing looks awfully bulky. Wonder how comfortable it is to hold over a long period of time.

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Over 1000 dollars for a tablet??? Plus it was released over four years ago. Surprised the price hasn't declined more.

Plus that thing looks awfully bulky. Wonder how comfortable it is to hold over a long period of time.
You can find it at better price on ebay lol (maybe used)
Anyway, even if it a bit old, is still the best gaming tablet actually, and the only one with a dedicated GPU.

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can find it at better price on ebay lol (maybe used)
Anyway, even if it a bit old, is still the best gaming tablet actually, and the only one with a dedicated GPU.

I'm mainly looking at the JXD 192k. Price is reasonable. Will email them to see if refunds are possible if I'm not satisfied.

Wondering if the a/b/x/y buttons have an xbox feel to them (since they look xbox like, which I love). Also if it can easily handle PPSSPP on 3x quality for graphics. Also wondering if its lighter weight than the shield portable.

Lord M

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I'm mainly looking at the JXD 192k. Price is reasonable. Will email them to see if refunds are possible if I'm not satisfied.

Wondering if the a/b/x/y buttons have an xbox feel to them (since they look xbox like, which I love). Also if it can easily handle PPSSPP on 3x quality for graphics. Also wondering if its lighter weight than the shield portable.
But Razer Edge Pro can handle Ps2 and Wii! A Portable Ps2 and Wii is a dream of all true gamers :O (and because, if can handle these emulators, can run DS, pSX, PSP and N64 in higher resolution!)
Damn, if only i had money... :/

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Tegra X1 All day. :P

I wish that shield portable that tom showed us was happening. Been waiting for tegra X1 portable for years. :(

I don't have to remind everyone it also allows pc stream games with any computer using Nvidia gtx cards right? Not only it means high performance Android system but also pc game play as well as cloud games via their stream service all on 5GHZ AC connection and over 9 hour battery (Need citation) life AND plugs into tv with 4K HD? That is a console all on is own, is practically pre Nintendo switch material right there. PRAISE IT. PRAISE IT! :bow:

Last edited by Sonic Angel Knight,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 🫂 +1