Portable 6 inch HDMI monitor?

Discussion in 'PS4 - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by WiiUBricker, Dec 22, 2016.

1. WiiUBricker
    OP

WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    So I want to build a Vita-like handheld with a 6 inch 1080p screen and HDMI input for my PS4 as an alternative to remote play. The screen must be thin enough. Any suggestions?

2. toastytwo

toastytwo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 3, 2015
    Gambia, The
    I'm all in for those kind of DIY-gagdets, would you mind sharing some more info about your project?

-What hardware should be inside your Handheld? Low power like PI-Zero or mighty like an UP-Board...

-What kind of housing you wanna use? With a 6 inch display a used WiiU Gamepad would give you enough space for powerful hardware and a decent battery. But it's not really slim...

-What do u wanna do with your handheld? Some low end emulation or full fledged gaming incl. streaming games from PC/PS4?

-Whats your budget/skill? Have you done some kind of tinkering/soldering in the past and are you aware that those kind of projects eat up a good amount of money from start to finish?

For reference, here is a handheld-project, i've done some years ago:

Greetz Toastytwo

3. WiiUBricker
    OP

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Nothing fancy. Basically I aim for a portable HDMI monitor like this:
    ps4.png

Instead of using a smartphone as a display, I want to use a real display with HDMI input. I found something here. It's a 6 inch 1080p screen with a HDMI board from china. It looks a bit naked. I don't know how to do the housing yet. Too bad a flat phablet-like device with micro-HDMI input doesn't seem to exist :/

4. toastytwo

toastytwo Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 3, 2015
    Gambia, The
    Yeah, i get it! The "Vita-like" has put me on the wrong rails... ;)

Just source ebay for a broken 6" tablet and hot glue the full-hd display in!

Since you'll be wired (hdmi) anyway, no need to put in a battery, just an extra plug to power the display.

But i don't think playing this way will be comfy, even the slimmest hdmi cables are kinda sturdy/heavy. Not to mention the weight of the display itself...

You wanna use a DS4 and a craddle to hold the display?

5. WiiUBricker
    OP

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    The weight is not a problem. I will figure something out. Here is something else I found, but it's 1 inch too short and holy shit, the price.

6. Blue_Mew

Blue_Mew Team Skull ☠️Grunt☠️

Oct 2, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Faraway Island
    If the hanheld is android you can install a PS4 remote play apk.

7. WiiUBricker
    OP

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    I already have an android device with remote play. The point is to NOT use remote play as the quality doesn't compare to a direct HDMI connection.

Blue_Mew likes this.
  8. WiiUBricker
    OP

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    What are your thoughts about using this as a screen? I have no idea if it's IPS or what the response time is.

9. habababa

habababa Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 24, 2010
    Last edited by habababa, Dec 27, 2016
  10. WiiUBricker
    OP

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    So I got the 6 inch display, but its resolution is 1080x1920 and not 1920x1080. It probably was disassembled from a smartphone. It also has weird banding. It's like a lottery with buying something from overseas. I'm thinking about giving up and living with crappy remote play :hateit:

11. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    Just wait for the Nintendo Switch ??

12. WiiUBricker
    OP

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Because the Switch has an HDMI-In port, right?

gnmmarechal likes this.
  13. SickPuppy

SickPuppy New Member

Jul 29, 2009
    United States
    I doubt it but you never know what the big "N" has planned, it just might have more HDMI ports than my TV.