• Total voters

Yeniaul

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
(Note: This is a port to Windows 8, 8.1, and 10.)

This can be used to get past Windows 8 (and up) not wanting to defragment SD Cards and/or Flash Drives. It's basically the Windows 7 version, but (hopefully) works above that now.

File is attached.

Report bugs below!

Attachments

• WIN7DFG.zip
    356.4 KB · Views: 164

Yeniaul

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
R4i Disc Error -83.
Shall I say more?
(I got that and went to defragment it. 60% fragmentation.)

The R4 (and clones) like to stop working when they find fragmentation. Basically, I did this because people shouldn't have to do what I did to port this, they could just DOWNLOAD it.

Last edited by Yeniaul,

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You're better off reformatting the card with the format tool from secure digital and copying everything back over. At the very least, just copy everything off of it, erase everything on the card, then copy everything back over. Defragmenting will do some needless thrashing and won't have everything pushed to the beginning of the partition, so anything you copy over in the future will probably end up fragmented as well (assuming it's large enough to not fit in the first set of empty sectors between files)

Yeniaul

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, true... I just think it's easier this way than copying, especially since I can leave the defrag going and get home and everything's OK, and not come from work and forget to copy everything over again and waste my time...

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, true... I just think it's easier this way than copying, especially since I can leave the defrag going and get home and everything's OK, and not come from work and forget to copy everything over again and waste my time...
Huh, it generally only takes me a minute for everything to copy over from my 3DS 32GB SD card, even less for my DS flashcart's micro SD. I backup all my stuff every week, so I'm familiar with the time it takes. Since formatting doesn't take long, though writing is slower than reading, it would stand to reason it would take less than five minutes to copy everything over, reformat the card, and copy everything back over. Maybe you should look into a better SD reader for your setup?

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
If you can port this tool, why not just make a quick tool that copies everything to your hard drive, reformats the SD card and copies everything back? It's much, much better for your flash memory. There's a very good reason Windows 8+ refuses to defragment them.

Reactions: TecXero

Abcdfv

What comes around goes around.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Huh, it generally only takes me a minute for everything to copy over from my 3DS 32GB SD card, even less for my DS flashcart's micro SD. I backup all my stuff every week, so I'm familiar with the time it takes. Since formatting doesn't take long, though writing is slower than reading, it would stand to reason it would take less than five minutes to copy everything over, reformat the card, and copy everything back over. Maybe you should look into a better SD reader for your setup?
Not everyone has usb 3.0 ports yet.

Yeniaul

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Porting this was easy for me (some compatibility tricks here and there), but making a tool that detects SDs and backs them up? That's beyond my level...

Plus, I want something that's easy to use, and I can come home and play and not wait for another hour or more to copy over 16 GB of STUFF.

Last edited by Yeniaul,

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Porting this was easy for me (some compatibility tricks here and there), but making a tool that detects SDs and backs them up? That's beyond my level...
I just do it manually, doesn't take all that long, even on USB 2.0. I'm not the one that mentioned making a tool to do that automatically, so I think you quoted the wrong post. :grog:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?