Hacking port dolphin to wii?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goku Junior

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
It's possible, but completely useless, why? because Wii already can play GameCube Gmaes and Wii games, and dolphin should run fine in Wii, because it runs slow in PC by different CPU, RAM, and GPU arquitecture, since Wii has PowerPC, ATI GPU, the RAM that Dolphin emulates, it should bring you a average FPS, BUT don't spect 60fps playing a game with a 720p patch, It wouldl run like 10fps :D

Reactions: FanLuigi

FIX94

Former Staff
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So, you guys want to know why wii games cant be controlled that easly with a wiiu pro controller?
Every game on itself has a bluetooth library built in, so in order to support the pro controller you would need to add code to every game you have. Now that is of course possible with alot of reverse engineering and creating general patch patterns, the bluetooth library is from the sdk which only few versions are there. If you got those patches you could add code into 0x80001800 which gives you a few kb of free memory which is used right now for cheats, so basically you could give up cheats and instead use patches for the pro controller. Now if anyone wants to go through that, I dont know.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im just wondering since we have a way to play gc games with the wii u pro controller now, would there be a way to port dolphin to the wii u so we can play wii games with a pro controller?

The Wii U Pro controller already works with wii homebrew, like wiiflow. It's only a matter of time before there is a whole catalog of wii homebrew will make use of the Wii U pro controller.

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The Wii U Pro controller already works with wii homebrew, like wiiflow. It's only a matter of time before there is a whole catalog of wii homebrew will make use of the Wii U pro controller.

yes it works WITH wiiflow, but not with the games, that are loaded by wiiflow, the reason is explained one post above yours by FIX94

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes it works WITH wiiflow, but not with the games, that are loaded by wiiflow, the reason is explained one post above yours by FIX94

I misunderstood and cannot see why add such support, you can use the Wii U pro controller to navigate wiiflow, but once you load a wii game there is no more support for the controller. This almost seems pointless.

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I misunderstood and cannot see why add such support, you can use the Wii U pro controller to navigate wiiflow, but once you load a wii game there is no more support for the controller. This almost seems pointless.

well, yes
for wiiflow it is more or less useless for now, but it can be used by emulators in vwii and that is pretty neat

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

camvar97

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
no

don`t claim crap, that clearly is a lie
you want to be a dev? and yet don`t understant, that emulating a system on the very same system it is supposed to emulate is absolute nonsense
you can`t emulate a wii on a wii, because emulation takes up far more processing power, then the emulated system has
and vwii is basically just a wii in terms of power, the wiiu side isn`t publicly hacked far enough to be considered in this discussion

on the other hand, making the wiiu pro controller work in vwii might just be possible, but NOT by running dolphin in vwii, at least not if you don`t like playing at 10fps

dont need to be so rude i didn't say i did dev work with emulation. and for your information i do do alot of dev work!

camvar97

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Guys I never was implying I new a lot about emulation to fully grasp whether or not it was possible, and i do dev work on the side mostly for android os and cyanogenmod porting. people can be total dicks.

camvar97

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, you guys want to know why wii games cant be controlled that easly with a wiiu pro controller?
Every game on itself has a bluetooth library built in, so in order to support the pro controller you would need to add code to every game you have. Now that is of course possible with alot of reverse engineering and creating general patch patterns, the bluetooth library is from the sdk which only few versions are there. If you got those patches you could add code into 0x80001800 which gives you a few kb of free memory which is used right now for cheats, so basically you could give up cheats and instead use patches for the pro controller. Now if anyone wants to go through that, I dont know.

see this makes sense but i was thinking more along the lines of creating something like nintendon't. I already knew that each and every game uses its own bluetooth library.

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Yes lets try and emulate a system on the same system we are trying to emulate....Yeah that makes a lot of sense....NOT.

Devolution and Nintendont already does what you're thinking of. Dolphin wouldn't help. The big difference between Dolphin and Nintendont and Devolution, is that Dolphin EMULATES hardware by converting the specific code that the GC/Wii uses into commands and code the x86 architecture of the PC can understand. This is not the case with Nintendont and Devolution. The Wii and Wii-U already has the hardware to play GC games natively (and Wii games obviously). Thus instead something akin to a Virtual PC program on the PC but for the Wii/Wii-U is used. It virtualizes the hardware instead of emulating it since the hardware already understands how to run the games you are trying to run on it. The Wii-U already does this with Wii mode. Since we are stuck with what Wii mode provides on the Wii-U you have to work with the limitations that you have when trying to use Nintendont or Devolution. Your only other best bet is if Wii-U is fully hacked and you can build your own homebrew to replace the Wii mode that the Wii-U normally runs.

Much like back in the Wii days when there was replacement IOS app that replaces the native one that ran Gamecube games. So stop with this nonsense about trying to port an emulator to the same system that program tries to emulate. :P

Kyohack

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
pokecheats.net
XP
Country
United States
Im just wondering since we have a way to play gc games with the wii u pro controller now, would there be a way to port dolphin to the wii u so we can play wii games with a pro controller?

From my understanding, Nintendon't uses hooks and a bluetooth library to utilize wireless external controllers such as the PS3, Wii U Pro controller and others when playing GameCube games. It's noteworthy that Nintendon't isn't an emulator, and neither are backup loaders such as USB Loader GX. From what I understand, the processor architecture is the same and the Wii U runs GameCube & Wii games natively.

Whether emulating a Wii within a Wii is feasible or not, no emulation whatsoever is needed in order to use the Wii U Pro controller to play Wii games. Doing what you described is a lot easier; you simply just need to access the controller. If I were a Wii homebrew developer (which I am not), I would recommend taking a look at the source code for using a Wii U Pro controller, and I would merge this into the source code for a homebrew app that lets you launch Wii backups, such as USB Loader GX.

camvar97

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
From my understanding, Nintendon't uses hooks and a bluetooth library to utilize wireless external controllers such as the PS3, Wii U Pro controller and others when playing GameCube games. It's noteworthy that Nintendon't isn't an emulator, and neither are backup loaders such as USB Loader GX. From what I understand, the processor architecture is the same and the Wii U runs GameCube & Wii games natively.

Whether emulating a Wii within a Wii is feasible or not, no emulation whatsoever is needed in order to use the Wii U Pro controller to play Wii games. Doing what you described is a lot easier; you simply just need to access the controller. If I were a Wii homebrew developer (which I am not), I would recommend taking a look at the source code for using a Wii U Pro controller, and I would merge this into the source code for a homebrew app that lets you launch Wii backups, such as USB Loader GX.
Yes that is what fix was saying

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It would be cool to have support for select Wii games to use the Wii U pro controller, but if it is too much of a hassle to patch each game that could use it, then I'd understand. I definitely would love to play Xenoblade with the Wii U pro controller.

Reactions: camvar97
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: