Poll: what do you think of VR gaming?

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Costello, Oct 13, 2017 at 3:28 AM.

?

How do you feel about VR gaming as of 2017?

1. I own a VR headset (or more than one) and am having a lot of fun with it

9.5%
  2. I own a VR headset but I don't use it much / am a little disappointed

10.2%
  3. I don't own a VR headset yet but I'm very curious about VR gaming

18.2%
  4. I am mildly interested in VR gaming - but not in its current state

24.7%
  5. Not interested in VR gaming at all (unless something revolutionary comes up)

35.1%
  6. Don't know enough about VR / none of the above

2.4%
  1. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    Fove-VR-Headset.jpg

Virtual reality seemed like an impossible dream a few years back.
    Now that there are several major solutions out there (PS VR, Oculus, HTC, Samsung...) VR gaming is a reality.
    Well a virtual reality at least! So as a gamer, how do you feel about VR gaming?

Answer the poll and discuss!

2. wicksand420

wicksand420 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    Looks like a good way to get hit by a bus.

Red771, Dr.Hacknik, zeldaism and 17 others like this.
  3. LukeHasAWii

LukeHasAWii But wait, there's more!

Apr 24, 2016
    United States
    Iowa
    It's so-so as of now and will only keep improving.

4. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    IMO with VR, it's too early to really say.

VR content is still extremely limited, despite some major companies attempting to bring as much content to the platform as possible (ala PSVR games and Bethesda seemingly throwing every franchise they make into the VR basket). There are still too few true VR games to really judge how well it works as a gaming platform in general, whether it's just another gimmick like motion controls or if it's truly the "next gen experience".

I do think VR has had a promising start, the major games and showcases are at least well put together, if a bit lacking in content for the most part. It still needs another generation or two to really grow, and cheapen up as well for the more "advanced" headsets like the Vive. I'd love to actually own a Vive now, just to be a part of that "initial, first impression experience", but there's no way I'm shelling out the money for one, it'd take me a couple years of saving on my current budget to afford one.

Last edited by Tom Bombadildo, Oct 13, 2017 at 3:41 AM - Reason: Stop it autocorrect
    chartube12, Red771, zeldaism and 6 others like this.
  5. Seliph

Seliph Scion of Light/Orphan

Jul 11, 2016
    United States
    Somewhere in Jugdral
    I don't really care for it or see the point of it in its current state. Maybe in the future I'll try it out if something interesting comes out, I just don't like the idea of being entirely inside of a game world.

Last edited by Seliph, Oct 13, 2017 at 3:43 AM
    Anonymous456, pietempgba and Eix like this.
  6. shango46

shango46 GBAtemp Regular

Jul 18, 2010
    Canada
    Edmonton, Alberta Canada
    I own a Vive and I love it. There are lots of great games and it's hours of fun. It is a bit of an investment right now, but as the technology progresses it will just get better and better.

Anonymous456 likes this.
  7. Eix

Eix Theā„¢ Crap Artist Megumin

May 27, 2017
    United States
    GBAtemp
    i have a vr set i got for christmas last year
    only used it 3 times and now its sitting under a pile of old computers in my closet XD

8. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    I love the idea of VR gaming, however I wont buy into it until real games start to pop out.
    Right now we just have glorified tech demos, or mods for existing games and nothing really substantial.
    VR is an incredible medium for gaming but I think we still have some years before it's worth taking the plunge.

A lot of people don't seem to realize VR is still in its infancy. It has barely scratched its potential, and devs still haven't been able to truly capture the capabilities it holds to enhance gaming experiences. People jumping the gun is nothing new though, hell that's why we have early access selling unfinished games and people crying that the games they play are unfinished.

Red771, Yil, felix.200 and 2 others like this.
  9. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    i never tried but it must be cool

10. wicksand420

wicksand420 GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 13, 2016
    United States
    I suppose no one here is old enough to remember virtual boy?

11. BurningDesire

BurningDesire GBAtemp Psycho!

Jan 27, 2015
    United States
    Behind a screen reading news
    I love my Vr headset!! usually use it to play mcOsu

because its fun to have people in the dorms walk by and see me having a seizure and be like the fuck is she doing.

12. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    I want the full VR experience before I make the leap. Having good games would also be something to wait for.

I guess it's like we're in the age of VHS cassettes and I'm waiting for streaming.

B_E_P_I_S_M_A_N likes this.
  13. HaloEliteLegend

HaloEliteLegend ~Apprentice Game Designer~

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Seattle, WA
    I really think this video says it all:

We're not quite there yet with VR.

SpiffyJUNIOR likes this.
  14. KingVamp

KingVamp Great... AETHER!

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Not sure if my answer quite fits the poll.

Only experience mobile VR and only had modern fun with it. I know doesn't compare anywhere close to PC VR. I'll put mildly interested, simple because I can afford the bigger VR experiences.

15. Costello
    OP

Costello Headmaster

Administrator
    Oct 24, 2002
    I have only tried the PS VR and I was a bit disappointed:
    - the games were not really that interesting
    - I felt sick after playing a while
    - wasnt very comfortable on the head

But I'm being told the HTC vive is amazing. I wish I could try it!

16. james50a

james50a Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 4, 2010
    Canada
    I literally rent out the technology in the toronto area. Can say from personal and customer experience that its a gimmick in its current form. fun for a while but doesnt currently have enough appeal to make it worth it longterm. Dont get me wrong if you have never tried it, its a hell of alot of fun (mario kart in vr is awsome) but as it being something you would want to use longterm (ie a ps3) it gets old after the first week or two tops.

17. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    Demos and stuff are still really limited, I think when more people are exposed to good, high-end VR it'll grow exponentially. There are already tons of great VR games and VR is really hitting its stride recently in software and hardware. DOOM(4) VR, Fallout 4 VR, the Pimax 8K HMD, and Skyrim VR are all on the horizon. Superhot VR, Rez Infinite, Thumper, Redout, Everspace, House of the Dying Sun, Arizona Sunshine, Space Pirate Trainer, Raw Data, NewRetroArcade, and Windlands are all must-buys for VR IMO.

Too few people realize it, but every genre is represented in VR already. Including RTS, RPG, sports, everything. I'm up to 85 games on Steam for Vive.

Last edited by Xzi, Oct 13, 2017 at 4:46 AM
    Scott-105 likes this.
  18. gudenau

gudenau Largely ignored

Jul 7, 2010
    United States
    /dev/random
    I've used a Vive and tried my darndest to make a cheap version. Doesn't work well so I'm trying to get money for a real one...

19. brickmii82

brickmii82 GBAtemp Fan

Feb 21, 2015
    United States
    Sword Art Online

When that becomes a reality I'll sell a kidney on the black market if necessary....

20. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    That video seems like it came out right after launch of Vive and Rift. A lot of the games they're playing are cheap indies that were very early in development at the time. It's just now that some of the launch titles are exiting early access, and the platform itself (SteamVR) has drastically improved since launch as well.

VR is not a gimmick, proper VR setups are a system all their own. Wii was massively successful off the back of some pretty poor motion controls, and now we have sub-millimeter tracking in full 3D space. Coincidentally, Wii games have never been better than they are in Dolphin VR. Just one of a million awesome things you can do for free in VR with a PC HMD. Google Earth is amazeballs too.

Last edited by Xzi, Oct 13, 2017 at 4:57 AM
    AlmostBadKoala and felix.200 like this.