• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

[POLL] U.S. Presidential Election 2016

Whom will/would you vote for?

• Laurence Kotlikoff (Independent)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tom Hoefling (America's Party)

• Mike Maturen (American Solidarity Party)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My ideal candidate would at least attempt the following during their term:
* repeal the patriot act
* abolish the dea and repeal the controlled substances act and any laws associated with it
* end all military involvement with any nation that is not a direct threat to u.s. soil
* direct intelligence efforts abroad and not on u.s. citizens
*make it so that the executive branch no longer has any "emergency powers" while also nullifying any executive order that infringes any entity's civil rights
*reform the electoral process to allow for more than two parties

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, they're people - human beings, thus a retraction is unnecessary on Lacius' part. I wish your parents made a retraction though.

That is one of the funniest comments that I have ever read on GBATemp!:rofl2::rofl:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

My ideal candidate would at least attempt the following during their term:
* repeal the patriot act
* abolish the dea and repeal the controlled substances act and any laws associated with it
* end all military involvement with any nation that is not a direct threat to u.s. soil
* direct intelligence efforts abroad and not on u.s. citizens
*make it so that the executive branch no longer has any "emergency powers" while also nullifying any executive order that infringes any entity's civil rights
*reform the electoral process to allow for more than two parties
Only Jill Stein or maybe Gary Johnson would do all of that.

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have no evidence of impropriety, I already admitted that. As for the accusation of sexism, I'm merely interested in what makes humans tick - I'm not claiming either sex is superior.
You are claiming, however, that Secretary Clinton engaged or likely engaged in a negative behavior on the basis of her sex. Stereotyping is a qualification for sexism. If I believed in a god, I would pray that this doesn't turn into another discussion about semantics.

Regarding the probability fallacy, that was your argument against certain guns, was it not? Lowering the probability of mass shootings taking place and the deathtolls when they do pre-emptively?
You are claiming a person did something because you think her sex makes it likely she would do that thing. That's a probabilistic fallacy. Acknowledging the probabilities of mass shootings with or without gun restriction is not a probabilistic fallacy; I am not claiming that something is true because there's a higher probability of it being true.

It is a correction! You said he's forcing people out, I corrected you and said he's forcing illegal immigrants out.
Echoing the posts above mine, illegal immigrants are indeed people, regardless of whether or not you like them or think they should be here.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You are claiming, however, that Secretary Clinton engaged or likely engaged in a negative behavior on the basis of her sex. Stereotyping is a qualification for sexism. If I believed in a god, I would pray that this doesn't turn into another discussion about semantics.
Points for a cheeky joke. If that's how it came across, I do apologise - I was merely stating that she'd be the first case of a woman completely oblivious to her husband's operations and with no influence over them, even unintended influence resulting from passing comments, that I know of. They're people - surely they talk about work over coffee and cereal in the morning. I find her "complete lack of involvement" unlikely, but that's my opinion, not fact, and I don't present it as fact.
You are claiming a person did something because you think her sex makes it likely she would do that thing. That's a probabilistic fallacy. Acknowledging the probabilities of mass shootings with or without gun restriction is not a probabilistic fallacy; I am not claiming that something is true because there's a higher probability of it being true.
I'm saying that it's likely, not that it's a fact. I have no evidence, thus I didn't form a direct accusation, rather presented an opinion - jokingly so at that. I mentioned scientific research pertaining female psyche as an interesting tidbit relevant to the conversation, not so much as an argument. Both cases are the same thing in my book, neither of us has conclusive evidence that our opinions on either matter are correct as future performance is not predicated on past results.

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Points for a cheeky joke. If that's how it came across, I do apologise - I was merely stating that she'd be the first case of a woman completely oblivious to her husband's operations and with no influence over them, even unintended influence resulting from passing comments, that I know of. They're people - surely they talk about work over coffee and cereal in the morning. I find her "complete lack of involvement" unlikely, but that's my opinion, not fact, and I don't present it as fact.
I'm saying that it's likely, not that it's a fact. I have no evidence, thus I didn't form a direct accusation, rather presented an opinion - jokingly so at that. I mentioned scientific research pertaining female psyche as an interesting tidbit relevant to the conversation, not so much as an argument. Both cases are the same thing in my book, neither of us has conclusive evidence that our opinions on either matter are correct as future performance is not predicated on past results.
Excuse me then. I thought you were arguing this as an example of something scandalous Clinton had done.

On an unrelated note, Missouri is having its non-presidential primary today, and this was on my ballot:
ballot%20cropped_zpsmzwggk9s.jpg

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm on-board with The Chief. My uncle always said that "if things can't get better, they should at least get funnier". I'd smoke a doobie with Wana Dubie.

Lacius

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd consider smoking a doobie with Dubie, but I didn't vote for him. For those who didn't catch it, Dubie is running to unseat Blunt.

RevPokemon

GBATemp's 3rd Favorite Transgirl
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry, but Chief Wana Dubie only got about 9.5% of the Democratic vote.
To be honest that sounds pretty solid for a joke candidate in a major party primary. (Vermin Supreme 2020 VP?)

Edit: No that is not too good as I realized that Missouri has open primaries so it was probably mostly mischief making Republicans.

Last edited by RevPokemon,
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLN9qrJ8ESs