[Poll] English voices or Japanese voices - What do you prefer?

English or Japanese?

• English voices

Votes: 23 38.3%
  • Japanese voices

Votes: 37 61.7%

• Total voters
S

Saiyan Lusitano

If the game takes place in Japan or with people obviously speaking Japanese, then that should be the language (Persona, Oreshika, etc...), when set some place else, in Final Fantasy for instance, Japanese audio doesn't feel right.

Western words like excalibur sound like trash when spoken in katakana.
You make a great point. I in fact wanted to listen to the Japanese voices in Xenoblade X but the western release is English dub only and they didn't even bother to properly balance the music & voices.

Autz

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Original ones. I mean, the ones that originally intented to be the main voices. Example: A game made by an American company: English; A game made by a Japanese company: Japanese.

Speaking foreing dialogue on a different language usually fails so bad.

Reactions: Sliter

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gonna go with English since I like to understand what they're saying. Not a fan of reading, especially if action is going on onscreen.

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I like the stuff undubed, f made in english, keep english, if made in japan, keep the japanese dub.
Else, I want a good adaptation (since transled/dub games its something very new on my country and I'm not at "that side [Xone/ps4 ] I cant say much ...)
Let's say the big problem here is the performing, sometime looks like they don't wanted to make the thing have a dub (and ended like 3Ds like gunvolt, I don't know if they did right on the physical version with GV2....) and went to cheapest way possible XD I remember one friend laughing at how emotionless where the characetrs on an onepiece battle game XD

One thing that USA don't know howto do is to adapt stuff, they want to put their country on the stuff, not bring the stuff to their country :/ this is why much fans don't like , when want stuff close to the original.
I want to know if there was any english "adaption" that is memorable by the fans like yuyu hakusho is here in Brazil, I think this is the way stuff had to be adapted.. in shorth they made everything very "in home" for brazilians without changing the story, character personality, names or taking them off japan...

Now look at pokemon, for some reason all the part that is based in japan is " generic pokemon world", everything out (Kalos, Alola... Unova not that much because was USa and it went "plain" together with the japan parts lol) is WOW LETS MAKE SURE IT FEELS LIKE FRANCE/HAWAII. talking about western version, of couse.
well that wasn't about dub but well, adaptation matters :B
Some ppl say that they prefer jap voices even w/o eng. Subs which they could understand. And I ask: WHY?!?
because some english games have a stupid emotionless dub :v (Funny that I trie done other game that had good emotion on voices ... but was very irritating voices LOL don't matched the characters urg) others substitles are also changed

I always go with Japanese when possible. Hearing Japanese names being butchered by Americans who don't even try to pronounce things correctly is just wrong.
I think bad pronounced names is far from the worse thing about english dub on japanese (stuff)games :v haha

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Japanese people do put their soul into voice acting so yh

2 cats in heat fighting eachother...
Yeh, that's indeed putting your soul into voice acting ;')

Joking aside, I set it to English.
Cba with the Jap voices as their irritating after a while.
Asian films however I do watch in the native laguage, Eng subbed tho.

RShadowBolt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
2 cats in heat fighting eachother...
Yeh, that's indeed putting your soul into voice acting ;')

Joking aside, I set it to English.
Cba with the Jap voices as their irritating after a while.
Asian films however I do watch in the native laguage, Eng subbed tho.

I'll give u that english dub have some fine piece of work, let me share my fav DB Freezer Quote:

S

Saiyan Lusitano

Read my statement again. I was specifying the accent, not the language.
Your comment is rather vague. Are you saying you wouldn't want English accents if a game had its story based in England?

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I prefer good voice acting. Beyond that, I look at what are they supposed to be portraying? Does the game take place in Japan? Then Japanese voice-acting makes sense. Does the game take place in a fantasy world? Then I prefer it be in the language I natively speak; it just needs to be well done.

Reactions: VinsCool

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
English, or in my case, French dub, when it exists. I love to understand what the characters say god dammit.

I have nothing against original Japanese dub, but I just can't stand it, I hate to hear them speak and not being able to figure what they say, and subtitles distract me.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Art will always be a subjective thing, but in older games like SOTN the JP version is objectively better because the English track(s), including the slightly better PSP version, are hilariously bad. They're funny the first few times but after that the professionally done JP version with the fan trans applied is so much better.

Today though, with(at least English) game and anime dubs being much better in general, as with all art and art-related issues, it's entirely subjective.

Last edited by Hungry Friend,

eriol33

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
it depends, I am not a native english speaker, so I will choose the primary language of the game. heck, I use subtitles for english language games. if it's a japanese game I will pick japanese voice of course. I enjoy both of them equally.

Hungry Friend

It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Subs took a while for me to get used to when I first started watching subbed stuff in the early 00s but once I became accustomed to them, they became just as second nature as simply listening to a dub. Some people simply don't like reading stuff at the bottom of the screen though but I, as many have already stated, prefer to watch a show or play a game as it was originally intended to be experienced.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I voted 'Japanese', but it really depends.

-my main vote would be "the language it was originally designed for". Though it's not as bad as in movies, bad dubbing can really ruin a mood. As such, a Japanese game I want to play in Japanese (with English subtitles). Games that were designed to be in English, I'd prefer that (with subtitles, if at all possible. If not for nothing else, because some actors mumble rather than articulate).
-while the above is true, I can't name a single game I played that had original Japanese text or bad dub service.
-above all else, I want the menu's and stuff to be English. My knowledge of those signs is zero.
-though I'm Dutch, I don't think I want to play a game dubbed in Dutch (however...I've recently heard beyond good & evil was brilliantly translated, so I dunno...). If at all possible, I even avoid the language all together (it pisses me off that an otherwise brilliant game like duet insists on going with my phone language settings).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: 455