[Poll][BFWWIWA] What should be the next system covered?

Which system would you like to see covered in the next BFWWIWA issue?

• Atari 2600

Votes: 16 5.9%
  • Nintendo Game Boy Colour

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • Nintendo Game Boy Advance

Votes: 16 5.9%
  • Nintendo DS

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • Nintendo 3DS

Votes: 43 15.8%
  • Nintendo Gamecube

Votes: 31 11.4%
  • Nintendo Wii

Votes: 10 3.7%
  • SEGA Master System

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • Sony PlayStation

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • Sony PlayStation 2

Votes: 6 2.2%
  • Sony PlayStation 3

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • Sony PSP

Votes: 7 2.6%
  • Sony PSVita

Votes: 58 21.3%
  • PC - A Personal RETRO-Spective

Votes: 25 9.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The DS seems a good idea considering all versions released, the scene and the fact that Nintendo is abandoning him for 3DS.
My career with the DS literally went through all the phases, starting from "what is this underpowered piece of obsolete hardware?" to "I'm going to write homebrew for this thing, it's actually sort of cool", so that's another one of those BFWWIWA issues that's going to be hefty. :rofl2:

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Erm...what does that PC-option mean, exactly? Retro can be anywhere between pre-steam days to the first personal computers, so...is this going to tell about a specific time period? :unsure:

Okay, I admit I already voted for it. But even if it doesn't win, I'm curious about it. :)

.... It only just occurred to me that "pre steam" might actually be a term of some use.

I find that somewhat depressing.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
.... It only just occurred to me that "pre steam" might actually be a term of some use.

I find that somewhat depressing.
The hilarious thing here is that I remember getting games for PC just effectively and actually more frequently pre-Steam than I do now. In fact, my Steam library consists entirely of titles I got free of charge and *one* game I paid for... which was actually a physical release I bought in a store a long, long time ago in a completely different, PC-oriented reality. Now that I think about it, a journey down the PC nostalgia lane would probably bring a tear or two to my eye - things were so radically different 17 years ago... :)

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The hilarious thing here is that I remember getting games for PC just effectively and actually more frequently pre-Steam than I do now. In fact, my Steam library consists entirely of titles I got free of charge and *one* game I paid for... which was actually a physical release I bought in a store a long, long time ago in a completely different, PC-oriented reality. Now that I think about it, a journey down the PC nostalgia lane would probably bring a tear or two to my eye - things were so radically different 17 years ago... :)

17 years ago...

300px-DOS4GWbanner.svg.png

Gah

himem.sys
Why?

200652717634_3dfx2.gif

I am only a poor little boy

gravcon2.jpg

I promise I will be good.

mscdex
Why are you doing this?

S3_logo.png

s3 virge
*catatonic*

Reactions: Ozito and Sakitoshi

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
17 years ago... *catatonic*
cdfs.vxd, why can't I play Starcraft?
Piracy = Buying CD's from a shady guy standing outside the weekly PC convention.
Floppy Disk Drive is a thing. And it works.
Cracktros. They are awesome.
Demoscene files available on discs bundled with magazines. Wow.
People actually care about sound cards. I have a Creative Sound Blaster 16... Radical.
Internet Explorer = "the Internet"... provided you are privileged. I wasn't, not until DSL.
Internet Cafés are a thing, and that doesn't mean a place where you buy coffee and use a Hot Spot.
This thing:
B7j1Nmw.gif

Using cliparts is not considered passé.
CD-ROM is the future. Shame that only one person per 100 square miles has a CD writer, otherwise "sharing and caring" would've been way easier.
AGP is the future.
S3 MeTaL is the future, my S3 Savage sh*ts on your Riva.
What's an AMD?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
cdfs.vxd, why can't I play Starcraft?
Piracy = Buying CD's from a shady guy standing outside the weekly PC convention.
Floppy Disk Drive is a thing. And it works.
Cracktros. They are awesome.
Demoscene files available on discs bundled with magazines. Wow.
People actually care about sound cards. I have a Creative Sound Blaster 16... Radical.
Internet Explorer = "the Internet"... provided you are privileged. I wasn't, not until DSL.
Internet Cafés are a thing, and that doesn't mean a place where you buy coffee and use a Hot Spot.
[dancing baby]
Using cliparts is not considered passé.
CD-ROM is the future. Shame that only one person per 100 square miles has a CD writer, otherwise "sharing and caring" would've been way easier.
AGP is the future.
S3 MeTaL is the future, my S3 Savage sh*ts on your Riva.
What's an AMD?

I will go on to mention zip drives which is a breach of protocol but VXD is a step too far. Next you will be mentioning Microsoft Plus!.
Weekly? Living it up in Poland I see, all I had was a monthly PC fayre a nearby village put on in its sports hall. Also computer shopper I guess.
Floppy drives. Real masochists used zip drives.
Demoscene was more of an amiga thing for me.
You had a real sound blaster? More living it up I see, all I could get was a "sound blaster compatible" thing.
You mean you weren't a netscape kid?
cliparts.... you mean you were not all about encarta?
CD writers were rare though doable, it is was the cost of the media (and in the inevitable bad burns) that got to me.
AGP will never been my voodoo
AMD.... is that like Cyrix?

Reactions: Sakitoshi and Foxi4

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Ahem...best games of 1997...

Those games look AWFULLY FAMILIAR!!! :wacko:

I remember windows 95 being not that great and lots of games that required a DOS prompt.
Zip drives...yeah, I've been there (in fact, I think I still have one).
Burning CD's which had to be done VERY CAREFULLY or you'd end up with a buffer underrun.
In fact, it was just a few years before that I got a CD-drive, and that was mostly because games didn't came on disks anymore.
Duke Nukem 3D was a monster hit.
Dialing into "the internet" on a 56k-modem. Phrases like "give me an hour. I'll google search it on the 'net" were common.
Early attempts to hook up my PC with my brothers and my dad's through a hub...and somehow not only connecting the pc's but also the printer AND EVEN THE INTERNET. A "LAN" was born...
USB? What's that?
Reinstalling your OS every half year because "some blue screen" started to appear more often.
Huge-ass CRT monitors and mice with a plastic ball in it you had to clean every once in a while.
You've got a macintosh? Okay...I think I've heard that name somewhere...
(early 2000"s) A cell phone? Why the hell would I want THAT?

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The amount of votes for the PSVita is gradually beginning to worry me. :rofl2:

Contemporary systems weren't exactly a part of the plan when this idea first kicked off, but hell, I'll go with whatever the audience wants to read about. 5 days left guys, make'em count! :)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The Virtual Boy :tpi:
If only I had one of those, I totally would Tom. :rofl2:

So far it looks like I'm going to write about the PSVita unless something drastically changes in the poll before the 9th... which is the last thing I expected - I initially thought about not including contemporary systems in the poll since... well, they're contemporary, who'd want to read about those? Oh, how wrong I was... :lol:

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
I always wanted to read a good review of the GBA, the typical review resumes in something like "is a portable SNES PERIOD!!!!". but after seeing the votes I think a Vita review wouldn't be half bad, everyone is too busy masturbating to worshiping the 3DS to think about the PS Vita, even when deserves more attention.
Right now I'm playing Muramasa Rebirth and hopping to find a(cheap) copy of Ragnarok Odyssey Ace(the stores that I've seen have it are the one that charge extra bucks because they can :angry:) while waiting Conception II. the Vita has a bright present and a brighter future :yaypsp:

EDIT: after reading PC posts of Foxy and FAST = I've seen my life past through my eyes.
what about the pain that was configure games from the MSDOS era to have sound while all you had was a shitty "sound blaster compatible" sound card?? some games never worked with more sound than PC speaker to me because of that.
thankfully windows 95 came and the problems with sound blaster were minors thanks to standardization of drivers and the end of sound blaster monopoly(also the good compatibility that win95 offered with sound blaster games).

Reactions: Foxi4

cdoty

Trophies
Website
www.rastersoft.net
XP
Country
United States
Sony Playstation (PS2 would be a better choice due to backwards compatibility, but focusing on the PSX game library)...

This seems pretty accurate, in the US at least. It felt like they both were about equal.

I wonder if the UK had anything to do with some of the previous Amiga developers developing for the Genesis/Megadrive?
Was it a pricing issue? Better publicity or magazine coverage? People adopted the Megadrive, since it was released first, and couldn't afford a second console?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I always wanted to read a good review of the GBA, the typical review resumes in something like "is a portable SNES PERIOD!!!!". but after seeing the votes I think a Vita review wouldn't be half bad, everyone is too busy masturbating to worshiping the 3DS to think about the PS Vita, even when deserves more attention.
Right now I'm playing Muramasa Rebirth and hopping to find a(cheap) copy of Ragnarok Odyssey Ace(the stores that I've seen have it are the one that charge extra bucks because they can :angry:) while waiting Conception II. the Vita has a bright present and a brighter future :yaypsp:

EDIT: after reading PC posts of Foxy and FAST = I've seen my life past through my eyes.
what about the pain that was configure games from the MSDOS era to have sound while all you had was a shitty "sound blaster compatible" sound card?? some games never worked with more sound than PC speaker to me because of that.
thankfully windows 95 came and the problems with sound blaster were minors thanks to standardization of drivers and the end of sound blaster monopoly(also the good compatibility that win95 offered with sound blaster games).

My sound blaster compatible thing worked well enough for all I threw at it. It probably did not sound right ( http://macgateway.com/featured-articles/sound-card-history/ ) but it allowed me to play Elite so there was that.

GBA though.... I know it is more than a portable SNES, I have even argued that before, but damned if the portable SNES thing does not overshadow it and doubly so when you compare it to the DS, many called the GB/GBC little NES as well. Though I suppose the DS would then have been the portable N64 and that would mean all of 5 games (most of which ended up in far better form on the 360 anyway). I might have to sit down and work out a "GBA is more than little SNES" list. Most of the GBA selections in the likes of http://gbatemp.net/threads/links-to-various-gbatemp-features-over-the-years.352851/ were pretty far away from it but there is a need to approach it from that perspective.

As for the megadrive/genesis being popular in the UK I am never quite sure why that happened. Though you never had to pretend you were having fun unlike a Wii U owner I guess -- even the nasty PAL conversions of things and lacking library still had some outright classics.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Definitely the MegaDrive. I don't understand why people would be interested in hearing Foxi4 talk about the Vita. People don't really want to hear about the Vita: they're just trying to decide whether they want one or not. It can be compared to the Wii U's tablet with the console itself. But the Vita does have some games that the Playstation 3 doesn't... ...I also think the PSP should have a story because its message was kind of lost between the Playstation 2 and the GameBoy. Besides, the PSP was very large for a handheld; did people take it on trains or with them on a road trip?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Definitely the MegaDrive. I don't understand why people would be interested in hearing Foxi4 talk about the Vita. People don't really want to hear about the Vita: they're just trying to decide whether they want one or not. It can be compared to the Wii U's tablet with the console itself. But the Vita does have some games that the Playstation 3 doesn't... ...I also think the PSP should have a story because its message was kind of lost between the Playstation 2 and the GameBoy. Besides, the PSP was very large for a handheld; did people take it on trains or with them on a road trip?
That's sort of the spirit of the articles though - "But Foxi, Why would I want a..." is the name of the game here. :P

Sakitoshi

GBAtemp Official Lolimaster
Trophies
Website
sakiheru.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Chile
... the PSP was very large for a handheld; did people take it on trains or with them on a road trip?

the same people that now plays(and wanted before the announcement) on his 3DS XL now. also the Vita is even larger than PSP 3000 anyway and no one is complaining.
is because large devices are a thing now. some time ago a large cellphone was called bulky and useless because was difficult to transport. now the larger a cellphone, the better it is, even when they become impractically large *cof cof* Xperia T2 Ultra Galaxy Note 3 Lumia 1520 *cof cof*.
I miss the GBA/NDS times when they at least tried to make them fit on your pockets. now I have to buy pants with large pockets.

Reactions: calmwaters

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @Psionic Roshambo, atleast there was some neat filler there