Hacking POLL: Are you still going to buy Switch games after today's announcement?

Are you still going to buy Switch games now that the kernal is released?

• Total voters

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yes and I will be a little kid and say fuck you to those are saying no and are only helping to destroy 3rd party support, go pirate on a well established system like 3ds if ya really need a place to do it

TheCyberQuake

Certified Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just because a console has piracy (which the switch still won't have for a while) doesn't mean I won't buy games. Even with the 3ds and Wii u hacked I still purchase games I care about. Or if I enjoy a game i pirated I'll go back and pay for it to give the devs money. Did that with undertale for PC.

Nickp2517

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just because a console has piracy (which the switch still won't have for a while) doesn't mean I won't buy games. Even with the 3ds and Wii u hacked I still purchase games I care about. Or if I enjoy a game i pirated I'll go back and pay for it to give the devs money. Did that with undertale for PC.

Quick question, when you buy a new game from GameStop, Best Buy, Target etc., how do they pay the developers?

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Quick question, when you buy a new game from GameStop, Best Buy, Target etc., how do they pay the developers?
you buy the game from the store, the store is buying from the company who makes the games, which the company having that money pays the developers for there work

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
you buy the game from the store, the store is buying from the company who makes the games, which the company having that money pays the developers for there work
Not sure if it's the same with games. But a lot of store that sell CDs (Music) send them back after X amount of time and get's placed in bargin bins from the mother company. They just basically split the profit from every sold CD rather than the store buys it.

DashAhead

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They dumped the kernel, that's it. Not sure why anyone thinks this is even remotely close to finding an exploit. Is it a step towards an exploit? Yes, but a small one. Nobody should expect news of a solid exploit for months, maybe even a year. Also, without proper understanding of how the switch actually reads game files then an exploit doesn't necessarily imply piracy. Until piracy is possible, I'll keep buying games if I want them.

Last edited by DashAhead,

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not sure if it's the same with games. But a lot of store that sell CDs (Music) send them back after X amount of time and get's placed in bargin bins from the mother company. They just basically split the profit from every sold CD rather than the store buys it.
I was just thinking like how you would see say a conssion stand(I know it's a bad exanple) where they buy the food then prep, mark up the price to make a profit and sell and thats how it worked on that part

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

They dumped the kernel, that's it. Not sure why anyone thinks this is even remotely close to finding an exploit. Is it a step towards an exploit? Yes, but a small one. Nobody should expect news of a solid exploit for months, maybe even a year. Also, without proper understanding of how the switch actually reads game files then an exploit doesn't necessarily imply piracy. Until piracy is possible, I'll keep buying games if I want them.
they have managed to access game files for games and dump at least models and textures, progress is progess and it still is shocking that they have gotten acomplished what they have gotten acomplished, in been only about 4 months, wow

Reactions: whateverg1012

danny19901

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah I would still buy games as I always buy games but I wait for sales when bomber man R £49.99 got reduced to £29.99 on the eshop bargain at the end of day we all still want to help developers make sequals or newer games of the games we love not everything has to result into piracy fair enough emulators may fall into play here and this is were piracy tends to happen as games are so out dated and harder to come by but it if they were decently priced inside of some emulation store and the money went to the company yes I would still buy it
But not at full retail price I mean £3 - £5 possibly £10 depending on the game and console it was for that it's being emulated

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When a game is purchased (NEW NOT USED) from a store, the money is earned to pay the company who published the game then the devs who get the cut. This is why games are $60, cause of so much cuts going on needed to make up for the whole situation, (there was a video explaining that, maybe have to find it later) But basically devs make a game, then find a publisher (or publish themself if they can for marketing) Then stores like gamestop order copies, they are buying the games from the publisher, then selling to us, after we buy, all that money is distributed to the inbetween people. (resell games i believe isn't part of that cycle, example is selling game to gamestop and someone else buying it.) So I think is why some people discourage purchase used games even though is not really against any rules.:unsure:

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there really should be a post rep minimum before you can create threads here.

This is going to be an interesting next 6 months.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hacking != piracy
Piracy != lost sales or console death

People need to stop giving in to the anti-piracy sycophants, it never has and never will bring a company or console to its knees. I'll keep buying Switch games, thank you.

Reactions: pinkupi13

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
there really should be a post rep minimum before you can create threads here.

This is going to be an interesting next 6 months.
then therin lies the issue of what about the person who has a question that needs a full thread(less likely) or a dev of a homebrew app looking for a place to publish not being able to post it here, and if they don't get that theres a minimum requirement they end up leaving, sadly a bit of a predicament there :/

Hacking != piracy
Piracy != lost sales or console death

People need to stop giving in to the anti-piracy sycophants, it never has and never will bring a company or console to its knees. I'll keep buying Switch games, thank you.
but the knowledge of piracy being possible may scare off devs in this scenario where there very sensitive about trusting nintendo

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
then therin lies the issue of what about the person who has a question that needs a full thread(less likely) or a dev of a homebrew app looking for a place to publish not being able to post it here, and if they don't get that theres a minimum requirement they end up leaving, sadly a bit of a predicament there :/

but the knowledge of piracy being possible may scare off devs in this scenario where there very sensitive about trusting nintendo

But it hasn't happened to the point of killing off sales, the DS, PSP, PS2, etc were pirated to high heaven, and all of those sold over 100-150 million units, so...it's not really an issue. Piracy has never killed
off anything. Unless someone has proof, don't give in to the anti-piracy sycophancy.

Mark McDonut

GBATemp's Resident Ghostbuster
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

based on sections would be decent enough but i don't know how easy it would be to implement.
have zero tolerance for question-only threads in dev release sub-boards and require reading and agreeing to an faq about zero-tolerance posting guidelines in other sections, such as no "hey guys how about___something that happened 5 mins ago___ and how it's going to affect sales/piracy/usb loaders/sd card loading/etc?" threads and/or posting outside of dedicated help threads.

You just can't help but notice a cycle of this every time an exploit releases. it shits the board up and fills it will trolly garbage threads full of people with egos on both sides, and newshits starting threads to get rises out of everyone instead of sharing information and helping each other.

Last edited by Mark McDonut,

jt_1258

Ella
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But it hasn't happened to the point of killing off sales, the DS, PSP, PS2, etc were pirated to high heaven, and all of those sold over 100-150 million units, so...it's not really an issue. Piracy has never killed
off anything. Unless someone has proof, don't give in to the anti-piracy sycophancy.
the only reason I see a difference is that those didn't have a large failure behind it that made devs more weary about developing, without the wii u I would say this wouldn't be enough to tip a dev away but in this position

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the only reason I see a difference is that those didn't have a large failure behind it that made devs more weary about developing, without the wii u I would say this wouldn't be enough to tip a dev away but in this position

People still shouldn't assume until otherwise proven. The opposite, DRM, only drives people to piracy and DRM circumvention, which is pretty cathartic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    cearp @ cearp: HBD 2U