Pokemon Teams: Which ones do you Choose and Why?

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Smogon has voting sessions, and a majority vote can ban a pokemon from a tier. I'm curious who the voters are? I used to read the chat of a league I gen for, one of them kept talking about getting the "reqs" to vote on pokemon. I wonder if those people have personal agendas. This generation, Baton Pass was banned completely to Ubers or even AG, and I remember reading Smogon's statement being that it's not strategical or something? Also, Arena Trap was banned to Ubers, making Kanto Dugtrio with that ability Ubers. That mon, but as you say, Tapu Lele isn't banned from OU? Remembering those odd bannings, and reading this, I can see that there is some real bias in getting certain mons off OU and keeping some in. Probably what happened with Greninja in Gen 6. People hated dealing with it in OU and exaggerated its threat to get it to Ubers. Now it's OU as it belongs. I know some leagues follow their own tears, and at least from Gen 6, there was a "GBA" tier system, based on the league with the same name. I do like having your own tiers, a small group of people having a league and doing that. Smogon sometimes is bullshit. That being said, I love that competitive play largely banned accuracy/evasion modifiers, because in battle facilities, fucking Double Team is annoying.

As much as I hate battling Darkrai before Gen 7, I don't like that Dark Void got nerfed.
Smogon is just thing you don't have to follow. Just make your own rules and play how ever you want and have fun.

ThoD

GBATemp Addict (apparently), but more like "bored"
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Typically it should be a balancing act, but things are never what people say. I first heard about competitive during Emerald days, before that I was clueless about it. I skipped 4th gen. Then got back into it 5th gen. Thats when I used the GTS to gen Pokemon, no console hacking needed.

I usually play legit to go through the story line, and try to catch legendaries legit for the experience. But after that, I gen.

Im current playing through UM and its basically the same game. Its basically DLC sold as a full retail game. I was hugely disappointed about that. I do like the remixed standard battle theme.

Reading the comments on verlisify's videos of people justifying why gening is bad. Im like its a fuckin game and I don't give a shit. I just want to enjoy a few quick battles and not having to go through the stupid long process. Its like a week or two of hours and hours to make a team, no way i'm doing that again. Its so boring too. I can't believe people attack others and take playing legit in a Pokemon game extremely seriously. What a bunch of losers. And the drama they start over this is extremely embarrassing. "I got in a fight with him because he gened Pokemon," imagine telling that to people.
Are you in an actual poke tournament? no? So fighting over gening is even worse if they are not in an official tournament.
About that last part, the VAST MAJORITY of PWC players have been caught cheating/playing with hacked Pokemon and not even Nintendo cares enough, it's just some butthurt people who won't do it because they can't, so they complain to all those who don't give a fuck and just play to have fun!:P Games should NEVER be a chore!

Smogon has voting sessions, and a majority vote can ban a pokemon from a tier. I'm curious who the voters are? I used to read the chat of a league I gen for, one of them kept talking about getting the "reqs" to vote on pokemon. I wonder if those people have personal agendas. This generation, Baton Pass was banned completely to Ubers or even AG, and I remember reading Smogon's statement being that it's not strategical or something? Also, Arena Trap was banned to Ubers, making Kanto Dugtrio with that ability Ubers. That mon, but as you say, Tapu Lele isn't banned from OU? Remembering those odd bannings, and reading this, I can see that there is some real bias in getting certain mons off OU and keeping some in. Probably what happened with Greninja in Gen 6. People hated dealing with it in OU and exaggerated its threat to get it to Ubers. Now it's OU as it belongs. I know some leagues follow their own tears, and at least from Gen 6, there was a "GBA" tier system, based on the league with the same name. I do like having your own tiers, a small group of people having a league and doing that. Smogon sometimes is bullshit. That being said, I love that competitive play largely banned accuracy/evasion modifiers, because in battle facilities, fucking Double Team is annoying.

As much as I hate battling Darkrai before Gen 7, I don't like that Dark Void got nerfed.
Let's see now... Evasion bans? Complex strategy bans (Batton Pass)? Really good teamwork bans (eg: gen 5 Drizzle+Swift Swim)? Sounds to me like they are only banning things they don't like facing rather than what is really OP! After all, why not send mega Medicham to Ubers considering how it hits as hard as mega Mawile but has WAY more coverage for example or mega Diancie with great offense, a ridiculously OP signature move and an OP ability too? Why the hell isn't Kyurem-Black in Ubers instead of OU if we are banning the OP stuff? Could it be the ones voting like using it? See my point?

In my opinion, the upper tiers should be something like:
-Legendaries (AG, Ubers)
-Ubers (non-legendaries, but Pokemon that are too strong or with high stat totals like the OP megas)
-OU and bellow

As for the evasions, I don't like that they are banned. They were banned so people would start using low accuracy moves, compared to how things were in the past where you always had that one Aerial Ace/Shock Wave/etc. user for such cases and the evasion bans make even less sense now that we have Z-moves and they can't miss!:/

Smogon is just thing you don't have to follow. Just make your own rules and play how ever you want and have fun.
Exactly why I find randoms with no restrictions using whatever teams I feel like, so what if they use legends and I use crap mons? The point is to have fun!

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly why I find randoms with no restrictions using whatever teams I feel like, so what if they use legends and I use crap mons? The point is to have fun!

You mean Battle Spot Free Battle with special pokemon unbanned? I did some of those and typically got paired with outmatched mons. I swept with Careful Primal Groudon (I love that set by the way, Lava Plume still hits really hard).

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
You mean Battle Spot Free Battle with special pokemon unbanned? I did some of those and typically got paired with outmatched mons. I swept with Careful Primal Groudon (I love that set by the way, Lava Plume still hits really hard).
No, actual randoms, I HATE 3vs3 battles because then the person with the most OP mon wins, no strategy involved. I can go with Ultra Necrozma and one shot everything! I choose "Battle" then look at the visitor list and just ask randoms who seem strong for a battle. Sure, almost no one accepts, but when they do, I have pretty fun battles!

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, actual randoms, I HATE 3vs3 battles because then the person with the most OP mon wins, no strategy involved. I can go with Ultra Necrozma and one shot everything! I choose "Battle" then look at the visitor list and just ask randoms who seem strong for a battle. Sure, almost no one accepts, but when they do, I have pretty fun battles!

I always turn them down, there are no limits with that? Battle Spot limits item usage (more than 1 pokemon can't have the same item).

I plan to do an Ultra Sun playthrough, I finished Ultra Moon and my physical carts came Monday. I like playing through games now with a shiny bred team, and especially Gen 6 and 7 with desired poke balls.

Froslass - Love
Marowak - Moon
Mienshao - Beast
Flygon - Friend
Araquinid - Lure
Alola-Golem - Heavy

Reactions: ThoD

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
I always turn them down, there are no limits with that? Battle Spot limits item usage (more than 1 pokemon can't have the same item).

I plan to do an Ultra Sun playthrough, I finished Ultra Moon and my physical carts came Monday. I like playing through games now with a shiny bred team, and especially Gen 6 and 7 with desired poke balls.

Froslass - Love
Marowak - Moon
Mienshao - Beast
Flygon - Friend
Araquinid - Lure
Alola-Golem - Heavy
With randoms, you can just pick ANY ruleset there is (you download extra ones), but there's lv50, lv100, 3vs3, 6vs6, etc. depending on if it's single, double, etc.. Just try it with a friend or a second system and see what's available and how battles are.

And that's an interesting team, definitely gonna make trials a joke if you have them all from the start:P

Reactions: RustInPeace

SG854

Hail Mary
Trophies
XP
Country
Congo, Republic of the
Ya, I don't like that random online is restricted to 3v3. I did have a lot of fun with Zygarde dragon dance rest combo with power construct. I have yet to be banned.

Froslass - Love
Marowak - Moon
Mienshao - Beast
Flygon - Friend
Araquinid - Lure
Alola-Golem - Heavy
Im playing through UM right now and I'm on the 2nd Island. My team so far is.

Brionne - Luna
Zorua - Felix
Petlil - Lily
Mudbray - Goliath
Ribombee - Mimi
Noibat - Echo

I decided to name them which is usually something I don't do. I also picked a female since last game I picked male to mix it up. And picked Popplio, last game I picked Rowlet. Im just blasting through the game and not even paying attention to the story since its largely the same. There are some minor differences I noticed.

Last edited by SG854,

Deleted member 377734

100th degree asskicker
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
@ThoD I did consider giving Xuritree Dazzling glem,but decided not too after HP dragon saved me during a match. I do agrre with you though,but I don't want to waste an item on a Z move, when Foucus sash lets Xuritree tank a one- hit Ko from pokemon that are faster than it.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
@ThoD I did consider giving Xuritree Dazzling glem,but decided not too after HP dragon saved me during a match. I do agrre with you though,but I don't want to waste an item on a Z move, when Foucus sash lets Xuritree tank a one- hit Ko from pokemon that are faster than it.
But the thing is that a LOT of things are faster than it, which is the problem. Also, it's very unlikely it will be one-shotted by a non-Ground type move, so Sash may not be the best item... As for HP Dragon, it hits less than Dazzling Gleam and doesn't hit any mons harder than the other moves (supereffective HP Dragon hits for the same as a neutral Discharge would)...

Reactions: RustInPeace

Deleted member 377734

100th degree asskicker
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But the thing is that a LOT of things are faster than it, which is the problem. Also, it's very unlikely it will be one-shotted by a non-Ground type move, so Sash may not be the best item... As for HP Dragon, it hits less than Dazzling Gleam and doesn't hit any mons harder than the other moves (supereffective HP Dragon hits for the same as a neutral Discharge would)...
actually a speed/spec attack based Xuri is a bit faster than most of the popular sweepers out there, and your other point is noted, i'll proly switch him to DG then.

ThoD

Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
actually a speed/spec attack based Xuri is a bit faster than most of the popular sweepers out there, and your other point is noted, i'll proly switch him to DG then.
About the speed, it depends on the nature, but I see your point. I usually go with Z-Hypnosis with Modest or Timid, but often don't need to use it when using Timid one since I outspeed a lot of stuff already. Other moves I go with Discharge, Dazzling Gleam and Energy Ball. Tail Glow isn't that worth it, it has insane special attack anyway:P

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/WOppJ92RgGU?si=KE79L6A_3jESsGQM