Pokemon Gold RTC On GB USB 64M Smart Card

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Interesting - does the patch feature a method of changing the time in any way or is it fixed to No Time Set? I gotta say, you wrapped it up pretty quickly, congrats if it works on real hardware aswell.

EDIT: Read the explaination - very sound methodology. :yay:

SonicRings

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you so much. It appears to work on VBA. I will flash it onto my smart card and will let you know if it indeed does work on it.
Oh my god, I gotta punch you in the face with a $100 bill. You've saved my gaming life for the next year for sure! Thank you so, so much, my friend! Maybe in a couple weeks during Christmas Break you can show me what it was you did so I can do it myself next time I need another game to be patched!
In the mean time, do you think it would be easy for you to give Pokemon Crystal the same treatment? It's next on my to-play list.

Drenn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh my god, I gotta punch you in the face with a $100 bill. You've saved my gaming life for the next year for sure! Thank you so, so much, my friend! Maybe in a couple weeks during Christmas Break you can show me what it was you did so I can do it myself next time I need another game to be patched!
In the mean time, do you think it would be easy for you to give Pokemon Crystal the same treatment? It's next on my to-play list.

I'm sure Crystal would be a piece of cake after this, it's just a matter of different offsets.
You can PM me if you want to learn to do this sort of thing. Be warned, it takes a fair amount of time and practice to get familiar with the hardware. And the tools.

Reactions: SonicRings

SonicRings

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm sure Crystal would be a piece of cake after this, it's just a matter of different offsets.
You can PM me if you want to learn to do this sort of thing. Be warned, it takes a fair amount of time and practice to get familiar with the hardware. And the tools.
I'll be sure to PM you once break starts (on the 19th) given that I don't go out of town for the holidays. If I don't, you can feel free to remind me as I'd hate myself if I miss the chance to learn something so interesting.

Drenn

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
...something told me I should've gone outside with my mining pick. Looks like it was the right day to hit a motherlode.

Oh well, jokes aside, awesome to see that there's someone still being awesome around. Z80 ASM, amirite?

A variant of Z80, yes.
There are definitely people knowledgeable in gb-z80 assembly, if you know where to look. RHDN and skeetendo have some skilled people. Of course, I don't know if they would do requests like this.

SonicRings

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
thanks a lot for this patch. i really hope crystal gets the same treatment too though it looks it will be much harder as it doesn't have a secret menu.
Ahaaaaa, I inadvertently helped a fellow gamer without knowing by drawing Drenn here! It's like slathering a tree with Honey and attracting Dialga... God Bless Drenn.
You honestly have no idea how grateful I am for your help. I will make it a priority to learn from you whenever I don't have a test to study for as long as I won't be a bother to you. :)

tvall

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry for the necrobump

the above ips patch also works on pokemon silver. tested on vba.
i just bought the same card as the op had, and was hoping to find something like this for silver, or at least figure out how to modify this patch for silver. working without any modification was a nice surprise :)

cosmo-freak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
sorry for the necrobump

i just bought the same card as the op had, and was hoping to find something like this for silver, or at least figure out how to modify this patch for silver. working without any modification was a nice surprise :)
The patch also works on different languages (tested with the german version of the game).
But if you don't want to patch your rom you can use this game genie code witch does the same (it's based on drenn's patch):

Code:
3EF-A9F-081
80F-AAF-6EB
00F-ABF-5D8

Reactions: zfreeman

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
sorry for the necrobump

The patch also works on different languages (tested with the german version of the game).
But if you don't want to patch your rom you can use this game genie code witch does the same (it's based on drenn's patch):

Code:
3EF-A9F-081
80F-AAF-6EB
00F-ABF-5D8

guys are you testing on a real flashcart? because i never had problems with vba.. it never says "time not set" or something like that vba does emulate the RTC... it does have a checkbox if on: rtc will follow real computer time, if off: rtc will advance only on game.

i can be wrong but the message should only happear on a flashcart or emulator with no rtc...

SonicRings

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
guys are you testing on a real flashcart? because i never had problems with vba.. it never says "time not set" or something like that vba does emulate the RTC... it does have a checkbox if on: rtc will follow real computer time, if off: rtc will advance only on game.

i can be wrong but the message should only happear on a flashcart or emulator with no rtc...
We're using a flashcart. I named it in the title.

SonicRings

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The initial patch Drenn made worked on VBA as well as my flashcart, so it's safe to say anything the flashcart can do (as far as RTC reset patches are concerned), so can VBA.

cosmo-freak

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I know this thread is for pokemon gold but i think this is useful:

Actually there is a clockreset method in the titlescreen of pokemon crystal ... but it is much harder to get there as it was in gold/silver, here is a short tutorial:

1. Boot up the game to the titlescreen
2. Push and hold Down+B+Select
3. Release Down+B but keep Select hold down
4. Press Left+Up (still holding Select down)
5. Release the Select button

Now the password reset dialog should pop up ...

But I think this is far too complicated for daily use.
So here is a patch that allows you to reset the clock everytime you load a savegame of pokemon crystal for any version (language/region does not matter) :)
Pokemon Crystal RTC Patch

This patch does not seem to work correctly on VBA, but who cares if it's working well on the everdrive? ^^

SonicRings

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I know this thread is for pokemon gold but i think this is useful:

Actually there is a clockreset method in the titlescreen of pokemon crystal ... but it is much harder to get there as it was in gold/silver, here is a short tutorial:

1. Boot up the game to the titlescreen
2. Push and hold Down+B+Select
3. Release Down+B but keep Select hold down
4. Press Left+Up (still holding Select down)
5. Release the Select button

Now the password reset dialog should pop up ...

But I think this is far too complicated for daily use.
So here is a patch that allows you to reset the clock everytime you load a savegame of pokemon crystal for any version (language/region does not matter) :)
Pokemon Crystal RTC Patch

This patch does not seem to work correctly on VBA, but who cares if it's working well on the everdrive? ^^
GOOD GOD I AM SO THANKFUL FOR THIS! Do you know if it works on the GB USB 64M Smart Card?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs