Pokemon GO Sets Century Stock Record

pokemon-go.jpg

The wildly popular mobile phenomenon Pokemon GO has set a new record for Nintendo, and it's a game it (technically speaking) didn't even make!

According to Bloomberg, Nintendo traded 476 billion yen ($4.5 billion) worth of shares on Friday, the biggest daily turnover for any company in the Topix index this century, effectively making history in the Tokyo stock market. The video game company giant surged 71 percent last week after the game became an instant hit, its largest weekly gain ever.

Screen Shot 2016-07-19 at 14.50.27.png

It seems like the hype for the game is reaping its fruits and it still has to get an official international release!

:arrow:SOURCE

Kinqdra

GBAtemp's Official T-shirt
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
Croatia
I think they should take advantage of the huge hype going on at the moment and try to redirect as much people as they can onto their handhelds by adding some sort of connectivity feature in between Pokemon Go and the upcoming Sun/Moon titles.

Reactions: Zense
S

Saiyan Lusitano

Who cares if the Wii U's a flop, Nintendo always thinks of something to print money! I like the concept of Pokémon Go but I'd rather just stay home and play on the TV.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And people are still saying that "mobile gaming will never take over handheld consoles" - it will, and you'll love it. Handheld consoles are going to die, just like MP3 players and PDA's have - get comfortable with that thought. Pokemon Go is possibly Nintendo's most popular product in terms of social involvement since the NES and it's barely a video game. Mobile devices introduce 4G, BT and GPS technology into your games and that's great, this is the best incentive for Nintendo to release a branded "phonesole" and proper video games for mobile.

Let's just hope the mobile games are actually good and are enjoyed, i.e. actually having substance and depth, then I wouldn't mind Nintendo mobile games.

nolimits59

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm sorry but your stupidity was pissing me off. The movies and anime are in no way related to the games.If they decide to move them to phones to maximize their revenue then they can. It would not affect the anime at all.

That said I do not want them to come to phones. Considering its Nintendo, we know full well they will jump on the iAP bandwagon. "Pay 10 dollars for an Arceus with full IVs" etc lol. Fuck that bs.
Dunno what you're talking about, but defo not about what i said... I just said that the movies works because lengadaries are involved in the process, ALWAYS, they're like 80% of the time peoples fav's on the games, and that's why people love the movies, they 'finally" can watch a moving and living version of their favorites "sprites" (i say sprites because bakc in the days, looking at a live version of a pokemon was a big deal because all you knew was the sprite version of it on your GBC...

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Its called *the game was just released*. You want the game to be better? Than go work for Niantic.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Its called *the game was just released*. You want the game to be better? Than go work for Niantic.

Lol man so awesome ... well yeah the game is playable for free but with this argument I could sell you a fan made "pkm super heroes" or whatever which only shows you a picture of pikachu and you would like it only because it was just released ?

Pluupy

_(:3」∠)_
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I hope they expand the shit out of Pokemon GO.

- player-to-player trading (already in progress, apparently)
- player-to-player battles
- global events (pokemon league, elite four?)
- pokemon centers (change player outfit, store pokemon, heal pokemon, etc)
- natural remedies and items found randomly for rural areas to help lack of pokestops (apricorns to replace pokeballs, berries, etc)

Last edited by Pluupy,

zekepliskin

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't usually do this but I feel a few excerpts of an IM conversation between myself and a friend, both of us fairly dedicated gamers, kinda covers both sides of the debate :-

Me: "For me it marks the pivotal point where beyond all doubt the main medium for gaming has become smartphones. You could say with the success of Angry Birds et al that it has, but for me because this franchise (Pokemon) started life on dedicated gaming hardware with real controls and has migrated it shows that's where the demand is. And that's depressing. The divide between casual gamers and midcore/hardcore gamers that the Wii did well to bridge widens again."

Him: "I don't believe in a distinction between hardcore and casual gamers. It's all just gamers. The reason Go exists on smartphones is that it literally couldn't exist on any other platform. There's no platform with GPS so nothing else could do it. The funny thing about it is it's make me pick up Ruby and start playing again. I hadn't played in ages. I think some games work better on smartphones, and some only work on smartphones. And if hardcore gamers do exist, they are platform agnostic because it's the game that's important. True casual gamers would just have a console to play games, but a hardcore gamer would strive to play everything. There's no way they'll stop making Pokemon games on consoles because they're insanely profitable. And think how many more 3DS units are going to ship when Sun and Moon drop autumn. It's going to be insane. I've put my pre-order down already because I think it's going to be impossible to get - and I never pre-order games."

Me: "Excellent angle, I agree with pretty much all of that. And yeah, of course this will lead to more sales of the 3DS. Makes me wonder about the Wii U as well, what with Pokken Tournament."

---

Basically for me Pokemon Go represents two things I have no interest in at this point - smartphone gaming and augmented reality. But if it stimulates sales of platforms I do love - Wii U and 3DS or the much hyped NX, I guess - then what problem would I have with it? None. In terms of complexity it is VERY smartphone though, by which I mean it you do catagorise it as a game then it's definitely on the casual end, even if you spend hours running around playing it there's not a lot going on in terms of strategy and variety.

Reactions: Hayleia

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I think they should take advantage of the huge hype going on at the moment and try to redirect as much people as they can onto their handhelds by adding some sort of connectivity feature in between Pokemon Go and the upcoming Sun/Moon titles.
"hey millions of people with actually useful and advanced devices who don't give a shit about enthusiastic core videogames, how about you buy these dedicated, overpriced machines with specs from 2002 and all they can do it play 50 core videogames?"
I'm not sure it'll work out man.

To everyone who thinks Pokemon Go success means a better future for the mainline handheld titles, there's a high chance the opposite will happen, considering how massive the numbers disparity is right now, and most of all, the massive difference in installbase between 3DS and phones.

Then again, Pokemon Go is a fad secondaries latched onto because their twitter feed told them to. It's entirely possible that the masses will just abandon it completely whenever the new shiny thing pops up. The next few months will be interesting.

Me, I still hope for a partnership between Nintendo and, say, Google, to develop a nintendo phone replacing their handheld line.

Hayleia

Trophies
XP
Country
France
"hey millions of people with actually useful and advanced devices who don't give a shit about enthusiastic core videogames, how about you buy these dedicated, overpriced machines with specs from 2002 and all they can do it play 50 core videogames?"
I'm not sure it'll work out man.
Most of these "millions of people with actually useful and advanced devices" play 2D games only while we play MH4U on our "machines with specs from 2002". And a second hand 2DS isn't really so overpriced.
So indeed, I can't say anything about the most of these people "who don't give a shit about enthusiastic core videogames", but maybe there will be 4 people on this planet who discovered Pokémon with Go and would be interested in getting to know the franchise better if there was some connectivity feature. So I'm not sure it'll work out either, but that wouldn't be the stupidest choice Nintendo would have ever made.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Well the objective is to collect all pokemon.It's a collection thing. You can also battle at Gyms so you can win or lose?
Completionism is a character trait of the user, not a game objective - it's self-imposed and has no reward for "winning" and no penalty for "losing". I've already conceded that the gym battles are the only gameplay element in Pokemon Go, and those don't come into play until you're mid-tier in level. Moreover, the only reward is the coins - there's no penalty. It would make more sense if teams or gym leaders had something to lose by losing a gym, for instance a successful takeover should take away some of your coins on behalf of the victor, as it's the case in the main series. This introduces stakes in the PVP system, right now there is no possibility of loss or failure beyond losing potential gym ownership profits and it's too temporary to even matter as you can just take the gym back immediately. I feel that territories should come into play at some point - for instance team members of a team that owns the local gym should get more items from the nearby stops and access to rare Pokemon that would otherwise be inaccessible - that's a far considerable loss than just coins that at this stage are worthless. I've seen people band together, collect coins, fight the gym, collect the coins for another person etc. until everyone in the group collected coins - that's crap. First come, first serve with a 24 hour cooldown for all players would add a sense of urgency to gym ownership. There are many areas that could be improved to make the non-gameplay into actual gameplay.

Zense

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Depends if they run out of ideas for updates. Updates can keep anything going for long, look at GTA Online.
Another difference is that Pokémon is a stronger and well-known franchise, since it's been there since the late ninties, while Farmville... Idk..

I wouldn't be surprised if people stop after a month of school. It was clever to release it in the summer holidays since most people have time to "play" it.

Reactions: Jiehfeng

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Touché.