Pokemon Go: Bringing Us All Together

Pokémon-GO-05.jpg

We all know what we did this weekend right?

Anyone with a smart phone spent their weekend crawling all over their respective neighborhoods, trespassing on private property and hastily snapping a shot of the koffing they caught while dropping something even worse smelling on the toilet.

When the concept of Pokemon Go came about, most of the world gleefully anticipated its release with excitement, while others pandered to their peers about all the ways the mobile game would flop for being another typical mobile game. We all expected something kinda good, or something miserable. But little did we know what kind of impact the game would have on our lives. Not even just your average lives, but your social life.

I spent my weekend running all over the Charlotte, North Carolina area with a group of friends. I encountered some rare little critters, got a hell of a lot of exercise, really wished I had applied that extra body spray, and tripped over my shoelace because holy shit there was a lapras nearby.

The game brought me enjoyment in its play, but there was more to it than the simplistic augmented reality creatures popping about every few minutes. The social atmosphere of seeing hundreds of people just like me running around with phones in their hands, smiles on their faces, excited eyes and shining enthusiasm was like nothing I had seen before.

i've always known gaming could bring people together in an online environment, or on the couch for co-op play. But I could never have imagined being able to walk up to perfect strangers of all types of race, clique', gender, age and interest and be doing the same thing all at once. I got phone numbers, facebook friends, group chats and the like from people i had never met before, because we were all racing around like children on a playground again.

Seeing people come together that would otherwise never say a word to each other, be too afraid of social interaction or unwilling to take that first step of saying hello to someone, can all unite under one super nerdy collectathon extravaganza with enthusiasm and happiness...

It's enough to make you smile through the weekend.

I'd love to here you all share your stories of Pokemon Go hunting this weekend. Did you meet new people? Did you find something freaking awesome in some dudes backyard? Did you get your 7th trespassing ticket? Share your story please, and stay safe out there.

And enjoy. :lol:

leon315

POWERLIFTER
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Guys, u can catch some ghost type pokemon at ur ........

Mmmm...... local graveyard XD

In my city, most people picked Blue or Red teams. I picked Yellow (to play in hard mode maybe?). Today I walked for like... 6 hours, only resting 1h to lunch and it was fun.

Man, u will be thin as fck the day when you finally catched all pokemons

Last edited by leon315,

WooHyun

Trophies
XP
Country
Korean people are moving to a small northeasternmost city to play this game. While this game is blocked in Korea, the city is not considered as Korea in the game system, therefore not blocked.
http://kotaku.com/desperate-to-play-pokemon-go-korean-gamers-travel-nort-1783639786
And even when they get to service in most of the world, Korean people can't look forward to that so optimistically because there is a stupid law in this country about not allowing foreign companies to service Korean map in Korea. If the game services in Korea and provides map services=>IT IS ILLEGAL.

I envy you muricans. and every other non-Koreans.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I kinda wonder if this is a fad that will die in a few months. I'm not sure if a whole lot of people will be willing to go out and seek Pokemon when it starts getting cold as hell outside.

But hey, I could be wrong!

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I kinda wonder if this is a fad that will die in a few months. I'm not sure if a whole lot of people will be willing to go out and seek Pokemon when it starts getting cold as hell outside.

Different people will slow their play for different reasons. The more hardcore crowd will slow because a lot of their Pokemon will hit their CP caps within a few months at most. The casual crowd will slow because yeah, it'll start getting cold and they won't find it worth the effort.

OTOH, it doesn't really matter when there is inevitably a slowing in daily active users, as Nintendo stock has already gone up 92% from Pokemon Go, and they're guaranteed to get a whole lot of partnership deals and offers out of this. The game is already far more successful than they could have possibly imagined.

Viri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Different people will slow their play for different reasons. The more hardcore crowd will slow because a lot of their Pokemon will hit their CP caps within a few months at most. The casual crowd will slow because yeah, it'll start getting cold and they won't find it worth the effort.

OTOH, it doesn't really matter when there is inevitably a slowing in daily active users, as Nintendo stock has already gone up 92% from Pokemon Go, and they're guaranteed to get a whole lot of partnership deals and offers out of this. The game is already far more successful than they could have possibly imagined.
Well it is nice to see Nintendo succeed once again, ya know, after that whole Wii-U fiasco. I just hope Nintendo isn't caught off guard too hard when the game does run out of steam. I don't play mobile games really, but from what I seen, the mobile gaming market has a short attention span, and will move onto the next thing pretty quickly.

brainstreem

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's happens when you battle a gym from your own team? Is it just training for your Pokemon? Or does it benefit the gym/team at all?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
What's happens when you battle a gym from your own team? Is it just training for your Pokemon? Or does it benefit the gym/team at all?
The more battles you win against your own gym the more prestige you add to it. Say it's level three and has three Pokemon. If you train there until you prestige it up to level four, then it will add a slot and you can add a Pokemon into that gym. If you go to the shop it has a counter in the top right that you can collect on every 24 hours. The more Pokemon in gyms you have when you collect, the more rewards you get. Each Pokemon in a gym = 10 Pokecoins and 500 stardust.

vb_encryption_vb

That hardmod guy....
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't get it, people will go out trying to find a Pokemon, but won't go out and find a job.....

3DSPoet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ibreally wanted to get into this, but the servers seem to be running on 486 CPUs and connected to 28.8k dial-up modems.

LOL, yeah, sadly, NOONE anticipated how big the game would be, so the servers are failing left and right....believe it or not, it HAS gotten better. It seems like the percentage of uptime is finally catching up to the downtime. I haven't seen a server down error all day (though I expect I'll see it again soon! :P)

@vb_encryption_vb This may not make sense to you, but "looking" for a job is an extremely stressful endeavor composed almost entirely of failure, rejection, and wasted energy. I have a job (and am actually seeking a new, higher paying job), but I know how it feels to be unemployed for an extended amount of time...the days tick by, you put yourself out there repeatedly only to be shot down...it can really wear on you both physically and psychologically. That holds true of everyone, but everyone handles it differently. If you're an extreme introvert with self-esteem issues...it becomes VERY tempting to lock yourself away and hope the world doesn't notice that you've stopped paying rent and bills... By that same token, many of those people who've shut themselves away from the world have been drawn out of hiding by this game. Some of them may even find renewed energy with the surprising way this game brings people out and together.

I'm actually a pretty severe introvert, myself, but I've found myself having random conversations with strangers as a result of this game.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, no sabría cómo decirte