Pokemon Go: Bringing Us All Together

Pokémon-GO-05.jpg

We all know what we did this weekend right?

Anyone with a smart phone spent their weekend crawling all over their respective neighborhoods, trespassing on private property and hastily snapping a shot of the koffing they caught while dropping something even worse smelling on the toilet.

When the concept of Pokemon Go came about, most of the world gleefully anticipated its release with excitement, while others pandered to their peers about all the ways the mobile game would flop for being another typical mobile game. We all expected something kinda good, or something miserable. But little did we know what kind of impact the game would have on our lives. Not even just your average lives, but your social life.

I spent my weekend running all over the Charlotte, North Carolina area with a group of friends. I encountered some rare little critters, got a hell of a lot of exercise, really wished I had applied that extra body spray, and tripped over my shoelace because holy shit there was a lapras nearby.

The game brought me enjoyment in its play, but there was more to it than the simplistic augmented reality creatures popping about every few minutes. The social atmosphere of seeing hundreds of people just like me running around with phones in their hands, smiles on their faces, excited eyes and shining enthusiasm was like nothing I had seen before.

i've always known gaming could bring people together in an online environment, or on the couch for co-op play. But I could never have imagined being able to walk up to perfect strangers of all types of race, clique', gender, age and interest and be doing the same thing all at once. I got phone numbers, facebook friends, group chats and the like from people i had never met before, because we were all racing around like children on a playground again.

Seeing people come together that would otherwise never say a word to each other, be too afraid of social interaction or unwilling to take that first step of saying hello to someone, can all unite under one super nerdy collectathon extravaganza with enthusiasm and happiness...

It's enough to make you smile through the weekend.

I'd love to here you all share your stories of Pokemon Go hunting this weekend. Did you meet new people? Did you find something freaking awesome in some dudes backyard? Did you get your 7th trespassing ticket? Share your story please, and stay safe out there.

And enjoy. :lol:

Xuman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My cousins and I went around to a few parks and caught some good pokemon, and at the same time ram into tons of people playing.

I think the lure modules being assigned to a spot that everyone can use is super cool, as everyone just sat and bragged about which gen is best (2 obviously). Ive never even considered doing any of this if it wasnt for pokego

Xuman

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soooo what's the catch this time ? what did you guys pay for ? i don't play Pokemon, but i assume nothing comes free of charge in this pathetic world.
Its free to play. If youve never played pokemon i honestly recommend the main games first, but you dont need to know anything to play this. You only pay for any extra items but thats not necessary

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not everyone, freaking Intel Atom Processor phone carriers can't get it, such as myself. Ah well, I'm having fun reading the various stories that come up. From graveyard loitering to finding a dead body, to armed robbery and even finding pokemon at a strip club! The good thing is that this really helps Nintendo and all parties involved, doesn't hurt to earn some money, who knows where it will go? Probably to the betterment of the app, to Nintendo hardware, Pokemon games, Niantic, whatever.

Reactions: Subtle Demise

Wolfvak

nyaa~
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
Fun fact number one: it's not actually out worldwide, so in my case I spent the weekend feeling sorry for myself, insulting Niantic and Nintendo silently and figuring out how to fake my location.
Fun fact number two: when I finally figure out mock locations, it hit me: it's not a good game. I've had more enjoyment with my PokeWalker, because with the thing you actually see the progress you make, while this is just a gimmicky AR pokedex.

Feel free to leave your insults below

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
With just how popular it is, and how people are going crazy over the game, I wonder how long the excitement will last before people move onto the next fad. Miitomo was a huge hit for about a week, until users sharply dropped like a rock. But then again, Pokemon is just one of those things that nearly everyone loves, so I suppose it could have lasting power. I don't really see the appeal, personally. It's fun for a little while, but how many times can you run around looking for an Eevee before you're bored?

digipokemaster

Innocent Uke
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i found a magikarp at my work which is a hospital never thought i found one there i really need to walk more aroundy neighborhood im planning on doing that on my next day off and my mom txt asking me if i was play pokemon go yet and told me the a new report that some girl out walking with pokemon go found a dead body in a river ill post a link to it

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...Rg2iZk_BJAUU0yUNB1Kdgw&bvm=bv.126130881,d.amc

digipokemaster

Innocent Uke
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It does really suck in rural areas,though. No pokemon anywhere near me. Also sucks I have no data. 1st world problems.

i had to use both incense to get the pokemon i have now except for slowpoke caught him while i was coming home from work ( i wasnt driving i was picked up ) and that the only one i found while out but i got a pokestop across the street from me my grandfather church which i found it awesome yet funny to me

Reactions: osaka35

Lyomak

Trophies
Website
twitch.tv
XP
Country
Colombia
In my city, most people picked Blue or Red teams. I picked Yellow (to play in hard mode maybe?). Today I walked for like... 6 hours, only resting 1h to lunch and it was fun.

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think everyone knows the signature look of a person's stare in their phone if they are playing Pokemon GO. It looks like they're texting, but the difference is they have a brutally intense stare, sweating rolling down their face, and slight movements of the phone. It's hilarious.

Reactions: digipokemaster

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Had a ton of bugs and often crashed. It even didn't support DOS compatibility with older games. :feelsbadman:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I only grew up with Windows XP because I was lucky.
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    I downloaded XP on dialup when it came out. Overnights for like a week. cuz I couldn't tie up the phone line during the day. It was so awesome and worked so great going from ME to XP.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vga pins were a dick
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I kind of want down a large pizza at 10am then crash out
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Having pizza all day? done it
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah pizza hut open at 10:30
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    just buy a stack of pizza and keep the rest you don't need yet frozen
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Or buy frozen pizza
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I buy the regular kind, not the frozen stuff
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    supermarket pizza is ass
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    x65 would just yell at me
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sounds ok, he didn't pull a gun out ,so...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $12 large any style pizza deal
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Each bite is a $1 well spent
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @ZeroT21, Agreed. I hate oven pizza, only from pizza place.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I can still go for totinos
    i like totinos party pizzas. lol.
    the cracker-like crust is great on those
    My neighbor and I are going to make this next month....
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Tiger crust is great.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm beefing with a neighbor currently each time I ask him for help with something he makes bs excuses then ignores my calls text but seems to randomly speak when I'm done with the project after doing things to help him
    DiGiorno Crispy Pan Pizza tasted pretty dang close to Pizza hut pan pizza, but Im not sure if theyve been discontinued or not. Havent seen them locally for a couple of months now.
    The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: The croissant crust is still available though, but not quite as good imo.