ROM Hack Pokémon x Nobunaga's Ambition English Translation Patch

kthnxshwn

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, put it in the DS section. Got to accustomed to newer games releasing on the 3DS and this one falling to the side.

Valiarchon

trentacles
Trophies
Website
about.me
XP
Country
*snip

Now, to return to the purpose of this thread.

To the team: I haven't had time to actually test the patch yet, but I was curious as to a couple of things. Firstly, are you translating to American or British English (...or whichever other variant might tickle your fancy? I personally enjoy Singlish, myself.)? Also, what sort of a translation flavour are you intending to serve - will it be straight-laced and stick directly with the original phrasing; will it be (this thought made me shudder) full of weeaboo English such as "It's so kawaii~!!"; or will it be (my personal favourite and preferred method) a nice, gooey mix of translations that localise the game for the audience? :x

Anyway, keep at it, from my limited viewings it's looking like a decent effort ;)

Reactions: 1 person

Frank Cadena

Trophies
XP
Country
I can answer some of that. Only nonsense, cutesy sounds are left as is, if appropriate. Sounds like Kyah! Fuwaaa! Un... etc. The rest are, well at least I try to be as close as possible to the original though some creative license are used on some generic characters to give them flavour. It's turning into a great exercise for my creative English writing since I have lost a lot of practice with it, considering I write reports most of the time on the job. It's a great break and it's great practice for my Japanese reading comprehension, which I still struggle with.

There is a central 'Editor', if you would call it, that will review the translations given to he/she/it and will apply consistency to the translation, make sure that every name and personality portrayed is consistent since we're just translating blocks of text without context.

Reactions: 3 people

Routakira

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Valiarchon @Kthnxshwn what did Valiarchon just say? :(
To the topic: Never heard of a game translation using "weeaboo" english. Does that count as an actual translation? Well the way the team's doing it seems to me as the way to go. The way they interpret and add character to the, well, characters will make this version stand out from the localization.

cody0807

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
just something to ask what does everyone think of koei teaming up with the people who made pokemon? personally i think it's cool but i mean i feel like the're getting the short end of the stick and will not be noticed for making this game...despite being the better of the two game developing companies...(by the way i ment as in koei getting the short end of the stick)

Frank Cadena

Trophies
XP
Country
Well, I've been a massive fan of Koei's Historical Simulation games ever since the Romance of the 3 Kingdoms on the PC. It's the major reason that I'm helping out with the translation even though I'm not a big Pokemon fan, not since the original anyway. On one hand I'm happy that Koei is taking on some less serious games aimed for kids instead of adults but on the other this game does not really put Koei's strong points forward enough. It's to be expected though. As I said, it's for kids.

RaphaelDDL

Trophies
Website
raphaelddl.com
XP
Country
Brazil
Just to add to support:
Patch v1.5 on SuperCard DSONEi using Eos V1.0 SP6_20120521 and 2012-05-17 Upgrade firmware.

Until now, working OK, everything going fine. Gotta play a little more to be sure.

Maesan

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any more updates on this now that the US version is live? Been really great so far just the japanese can be a little hard to follow

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse